• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Lee Drawing discussion

20 posts in this topic

I thought someone else would have brought it up, but since no one did, I might as well see what everyone's thoughts are.

I love Jim Lee and it's going to a good cause, but am I the only one who thinks that 14K for a 2 character commission is insane?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250283207102

The Travis Charest piece, which is more than a 2 character sketch, didn't even hit 8K

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250284757294

What is this world coming to?

Malvin

Thats bananas. I love Jim Lee, but I'll keep my money..

For that kinda cash it better be cover quality. The pic of Jim they used in the auction was him with a quickie head sketch....can you imagine if that's what the winner gets. lol

C

The difference is that the Jim Lee piece is going to be personalized. Jim will be drawing you with superman. That is the real selling point. I bid $7K and thought I would win :(

Maybe it's me, but I wouldn't pay anyone 7K to draw a picture of me! lol

Was your 7K bid a snipe that did not go through? There were only 2 people who bid past $5,313 and they both with 14K+!

Malvin

My guess is the winner will ask for a cover quality Batman / Superman inked piece instead of a portrait. That's the only way to justify the price plus you can always sell it later on if you had to.

They may even offer the second highest bidder the 2 character drawing as well since the bid was 14K.

Cheers!

N

For that kinda cash it better be cover quality.

For that kinda cash it better BE a cover. Now that would a great ebay item !

I would contact the auction seller. Maybe Jim would do another one for 7K. It is for a great cause.

S

Cross your fingers and hope you don't have to go through Albert Moy to get it !

I would contact the auction seller. Maybe Jim would do another one for 7K. It is for a great cause.

S

Talked to Jim today, and it sounds like the buyer does not want to be in the drawing, but would rather have a Batman/Superman type drawing. That's find with Jim, since it's a lot harder for him to draw a likeness of the buyer and not have it be kind of goofy. As the buyer, it makes MUCH more sense to protect his investment by getting Jim to draw the big two.

Clearly, the number on this auction was inflated because it was charity.

Scott Williams

There are much cheaper Lee covers out there, Mike.

The $14,000 includes a charity bump-up with the added value of the collector getting to solicit the cover he wants.

I think it's a Krazy number -- but, since it's for charity, a good Krazy number.

S

Talked to Jim today, and it sounds like the buyer does not want to be in the drawing, but would rather have a Batman/Superman type drawing. That's find with Jim, since it's a lot harder for him to draw a likeness of the buyer and not have it be kind of goofy. As the buyer, it makes MUCH more sense to protect his investment by getting Jim to draw the big two.

Clearly, the number on this auction was inflated because it was charity.

Scott Williams

welcome to the boards! Loved your run on Uncanny back in the day

An update on this:

"Robert Erwin... just about saved the house himself with almost $50,000 on the biggest items... He’s giving them to friends and his employees at Pi Studios in Houston, a computer game software development company... The drawing by Jim Lee of some lucky person with Superman ($14,101) will go to a friend, who will get to pose for it."

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/100812-SiegelHouseWinner.html

The difference is that the Jim Lee piece is going to be personalized. Jim will be drawing you with superman. That is the real selling point. I bid $7K and thought I would win :(

it would have cost more for you dan since he would have to double page splash to fit your head :baiting:

There are much cheaper Lee covers out there, Mike.

The $14,000 includes a charity bump-up with the added value of the collector getting to solicit the cover he wants.

I think it's a Krazy number -- but, since it's for charity, a good Krazy number.

I'm sure you can write part of it off too since it's a charitable organization.