• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tan Lines

28 posts in this topic

Overstreet describes dust shadows, oxidation shadows and sun shadows as all being a dark line on the edge of a book left exposed in a larger pile of books.

Though I am not sure how the sun creates a dark shadow rather than bleaching the exposed area.

So, is this the same as "foxing" as the local lcs's tell me? Also, how does cgc grade a High Grade book, but with light tanning on the back cover? is it 1/2 grade down because of it? full grade?? thanks guys!

It depends on how extreme and how dark. I've had many books come back with 9.4 and 9.6 with tanning on them.

CGC downgrades much more for foxing than they do for tanning.

R.

How many books have you submitted with tanning since Haspel took the reigns?

Good point. None that I can remember. You?

I was hoping to get some grading guidance for these pesky tan lines. There's one on the front and back. I don't even know what causes them. I wouldn't think exposure to sun light would hit both sides. Thanks for any comments (also posted on PGM)

asmtoss.jpg

Yeah , I hate when I get those pesky tan lines ....................... :whistle:

None, but I have talked to a few people that have submitted. Let's just say that tanning is someone's pet peeve.

None, but I have talked to a few people that have submitted. Let's just say that tanning is someone's pet peeve.

Seem's lately everything is someones pet peeve. I just got the grades on 30 books and I was very disappointed to say the least.

No, it's not the same as foxing. Currently, CGC will hammer a book with tanning.

Do you disagree with this Jim? (shrug)

Pet Peeves aside, tanning(depending on severity) is a step away from being brittle.

Seem's lately everything is someones pet peeve. I just got the grades on 30 books and I was very disappointed to say the least.

Which tier?

No, it's not the same as foxing. Currently, CGC will hammer a book with tanning.

Do you disagree with this Jim? (shrug)

Pet Peeves aside, tanning(depending on severity) is a step away from being brittle.

As you said, it depends on the severity. Cgcworld and I were looking at a raw Big Apple Avengers book at Ritter's booth in Mid Ohio. It was a gorgeous book, except for the tanning. I believe the CGC grade would have killed it.

Which tier?

Value. I did great on my last two modern submissions. I ususally expect a few to come back a grade or two lower but almost half of the books left me sitting there scratching my head on the grades.

So, is this the same as "foxing" as the local lcs's tell me? Also, how does cgc grade a High Grade book, but with light tanning on the back cover? is it 1/2 grade down because of it? full grade?? thanks guys!

foxing is what happens when little critters pee on your books. It's a mold or bacteria. I'm no scientist, but foxing is people.

Tanning is what the sun or intense light does to a book, as these gentlemen are discussing.

Foxing bad.

Tanning less bad.