• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

All caught up. I really didn't want it to end so now I have to wait month to month.

It is such a fantastic read.

Regarding the current arc:

Does anyone else think that Mark & Eve's baby is going to be the key to saving Earth? Kirkman has sort of teased passage of months leading up to 74 and then in 75, we're not sure how long they've been waiting on the coalition ship other than maybe a few weeks because of Oliver's healing. I haven't gone back to tally the time we're told has passed, but I'd assume it's somewhere in the area of 5-6 months on Earth. Eve's due date will be coming up pretty quick.

In response to your spoiler post:

I totally agree that it's important. "StupidIdiot's comments about readers forgetting is WAY off. This book is written for TPB readers, so nobody's forgetting.

It makes sense to play out the following way.

1.) Enough time has gone by that the baby will be born while they attack, or is already born.

2.) There will be something WRONG with the baby, or at least appear to be wrong.

3.) The Viltrumites will see this and that will be the excuse to have them leave without the battle being a battle to the death. Thus, leaving it open for them to return in the future. Remember, the whole reason they want EARTH is because Invincible was successfully born normal with powers, and they need to repopulate. If they see problems with the baby, their plan is shot.

4.) The baby will actually be OK, and the Viltrumites were fooled. Either the baby will have powers and fix itself, or Eve will. REMEMBER issues #63 and #64 when she was nearly killed by Conquest. KIRKMAN stated in the letters page that "killing" her and bringing her back was a MAJOR plot point to the story. Her powers being out of whack since then would explain the baby appearing wrong to the Vilturmites.

5.) Of course eventually another Viltrumite will come to Earth for some other reason in the future and see the baby is OK. Then we can have another Viltrumite battle/story in the future.

At least that makes sense to me. 2c

I was thinking more of a deus ex machina kind of thing.

Eve got her powers en vitro, Oliver has shown that he followed his mothers genetics, couldn't Eve and Mark's baby show up super-duper powered?

Just a thought because I can't imagine Kirkman making a point of noting months have passed without showing us Earth at all when we know something that will substantially change in months is back there waiting. Oh, dramatic irony, how I love you.

Yes I thought more than a few months had passed during invincibles healing as well . I think you are right on that swift & it will have both . I got the impression that during the time he was healing his brother became a better fighter & also grew much stronger from all the training he was getting from his dad ... that type of thing takes a while

Edited by synch

Well, I think its a mix of people forgetting and people not realizing how much time has passed since the baby was conceived. Mainly the time factor... The only time we're all positive of was when Mark was wounded and they were waiting it out on that planet. The rest, at least as far as I can remember has not been referenced. (Although, I've always felt that this will end with the baby being born or having just recently been born - which was pretty much confirmed with the cover to issue 79) Plus we havent had a look at what Earth is like in a while, Guarding the Globe aside, so with all of the action going on, even though the pregnancy thing is fairly recent, its not the immediate assumption that the baby will have any role... and what I meant in my statement is that I think that this is something that has been counted on.

Mix that with all of the other things going on, and I think that if the baby is a player in the defeat, that it's supposed to surprise the readers.

I'm still thinking it will be a mashup of factors bringing the viltrumites down. Even if the baby is included, I do think that the reanimen invincibles, and possibly the virus will be brought out in some fashion. Zombie-robot-alternate-dimension-invincibles fighting off some viltrumites?

Edited by StupidIdiot

Just read issues #1-13 so I must be years behind in the plot-line but, and whisper this gently, I much prefer this to Walking Dead.

Don't get me wrong, I like WD and have all the trades but I find that Invincible - admittedly after only the first 13 issues, superior in characterization and story writing. There is much more 'verve' to it, the characters are more developed and interesting, the stories are more entertaining and gripping.

Just read issues #1-13 so I must be years behind in the plot-line but, and whisper this gently, I much prefer this to Walking Dead.

Don't get me wrong, I like WD and have all the trades but I find that Invincible - admittedly after only the first 13 issues, superior in characterization and story writing. There is much more 'verve' to it, the characters are more developed and interesting, the stories are more entertaining and gripping.

lol Don't judge too quickly!

Invincible #1-13 is pure GOLD. But the series definitely has it's ups and downs in my opinion.

The next few issues are not going to be as good. BUT it gets a lot better in the late 20's and 30's in my opinion. Then it goes down in quality for awhile. I even dropped the title from my pull list. (Not completely, I stopped buying them new and picked them up much later at conventions when I found them in dollar bins.)

Fast Forward to #59 and it's great again. In my opinion it hasn't slowed down since that issue. #59 to the current issues have been GOLD again. (thumbs u

I think I like how this is turning out. There's still one last issue to this arc, so theres still time to trick us, though.

But yeah, it could proove to be most interesting. Who knows, maybe some of the viltrumites will go through what Nolan did? Maybe they'll get too close to the humans and not want to take them over? Maybe this will give the heroes time to gather, research, and hit them back. Lots of possibilities here. There's no way the Viltrumites are done completely after this arc.

Kind of a quick read though. And I knew that the teaser of those first few pages were just a dream, seeing the covers of 78 and 79 so long ago, it wasn't possible. Good stuff.

wow ya this one surprised me as well invincible was really torn with some choices here ...

I Loved it when he got to earth & you see the look on his face... priceless! & then at the end where he was all no no no & then yes....100% perfect! Right down to him picturing the planet destroyed right before he says yes :D There are so many things /options here for them story wise with what they can do... I also wonder what the CO will do once they find out they are on earth.. At least alan is in charge so I doubt they will out right attack earth ...

Edited by synch

I read #77 this evening. It definitely took a turn I was not expecting - I'm excited for the next issue. I have to admit I was pretty freaked out until I realized that

Mark was just imagining things. I was so scared his mom was dead. I mean, this is "nobody is safe" Kirkman here, and I thought since he spared Oliver it wouldn't be unlike him to kill off someone else.

Soooo...I know for those in the UK you guys got it last week, but for those of us in the States, we just got it today. So what did everyone think?

Viltrumite war is over, kind of? Interested to see where this goes. Eve, I love Eve, in all shapes and sizes, Ryan owns her. I don't think any other artist could make Eve as awesome as Ryan does.

Nolan and Deb, another interesting plot line.

Allen, you better not you !

I still think she should have died in issue #63 though.

That could have been Invincilble's "Gwen Stacy" moment which would have stayed with him forever. 2c

I remember reading that issue thinking Kirkman was an awesome writer taking crazy chances. Then when she came back it felt like a Marvel book (but only for a second). I think the characters in Invinicible are more safe than his WD characters. 2c