• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on Authenticity of this John Byrne sketch?

14 posts in this topic

Here's the link -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110289065765&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ebayphotohosting

A couple of questions. There are couple of things in the drawing that look a little weird, not quite JB. Also, I'm not so sure that Byrne was using that particular signature in 1976 (I've seen other more authentic pieces with a different signature) in the early and mid 1970s.

Of course, I don't know, but the group's great insights are always appreciated.

Thanks.

- A

The signature looks like a copy and the shading on the sketch looks like someone was being very meticulous - doesn't look like Byrne's style. It looks like a recreation by someone else. Additionally, Byrne's Wolverine didn't look like that in 1976. Check out Marvel Team-Up #53 and the 1978 Spider-man Calendar. Those are the two earliest published Byrne Wolverine pieces from 1977. He didn't really learn to draw the Wolverine we all have come to love until he took over the regular X-Men series.

It appears that whoever did the second sketch tried incredibly hard to match the first sketch in body position. Also in both cases, the pencils for the black in the boots is transparent, as you can see the rest of the leg through it.

I guess why would Mr. Bryne go to so much trouble to re-produce this exact pose?

Here's the sketch that it's suppose to be repro from:

wolverine.0108.jpg.jpg

I have to say that the members of this board are an encyclopaedic resource. This sketch certainly has a much more Byrne feel to it than the one at auction.

On conclusion -- again, I don't know -- but it seems as if the sketch at auction is a recreation of a Byrne sketch by someone other than Byrne himself.

A speculative assessment of Byrne's comments is that he probably remembers doing the sketch (or one of millions like it), but really has to hold the paper in his hands before he can tell whether he did it or not.

But when the sketch at auction is compared to the actual Byrne sketch, to my eye at least, it becomes rather clear who did what.

Thanks again guys!

- A