• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the point? Is it worth it

16 posts in this topic

I am not a grader of comics nor do I care if I have a comic graded, but I do have some questions, and I would like your response.

I have a great looking comic with awesome storylines and panels, but once I send it in to be graded it can't be read again.....so what's the point of having it if all the great panels inside and the story that goes with it can't be seen again?

I pay X amount of money to have a comic graded that won't even bring that much at market.....why?

I bag and board all my comics in non pvc plastic and acid free boards.....

but they didn't have those items back even 20 years ago let alone back in the bronze age......yet we still have mint condition comics from these eras ....hmmm I doubt that boards an bags will make any difference if your careless with your stuff it's still going to be damaged

I am not a grader of comics nor do I care if I have a comic graded, but I do have some questions, and I would like your response.

I have a great looking comic with awesome storylines and panels, but once I send it in to be graded it can't be read again.....so what's the point of having it if all the great panels inside and the story that goes with it can't be seen again?

I pay X amount of money to have a comic graded that won't even bring that much at market.....why?

I bag and board all my comics in non pvc plastic and acid free boards.....

but they didn't have those items back even 20 years ago let alone back in the bronze age......yet we still have mint condition comics from these eras ....hmmm I doubt that boards an bags will make any difference if your careless with your stuff it's still going to be damaged

Welcome to the Boards!

There are many reasons to slab a comic, but to respond to your points:

1. If you want to read your comic, best not to slab it of course. Some feel if a comic is in pristine condition, it isn't meant to be read, and it is best to be graded and preserved. A lower grade copy can be obtained for reading.

2. If profit is your motivation for slabbing, best do your research and learn to grade prior to sending books to be professionally graded. Spending more to slab your books than they are worth generally isn't a good business model. :makepoint:

3. I agree. If you are careless with a slabbed book though, it arguably has a better chance. (There are some instances documented of comics being damaged due to movement inside the inner well.)

Welcome to the boards. CGC was created because internet selling was becoming common and sellers often misgraded their comics. I have very few CGC graded comics but I recognize the fact that if I was buying an expensive comic on the internet a overgraded comic could cost me thousands. The restoration check that CGC performs is also invaluable. I do prefer ungraded comics and a number of board members buy graded comics and actually remove them from the CGC case.

You do not want to submit comics that normaly sell for a few dollars. You would want to submit like a Near mint condition Wolverine #1 mini series from 1982. Not Wolverine #85 from 1992.

Aside from the fact that Wolverine #85 came out in 1994, I'd say that's pretty sound advice...

......yet we still have mint condition comics from these eras ....hmmm I doubt that boards an bags will make any difference if your careless with your stuff it's still going to be damaged

how many 9.9 and 10.0 books are there from the SA vs BA vs CA/Modern?

As far as modern books go...9.9 is the new 9.8..

......yet we still have mint condition comics from these eras ....hmmm I doubt that boards an bags will make any difference if your careless with your stuff it's still going to be damaged

That's not true, through - if you look at the modern books that are coming back 9.9 and 10.0 (Locke & Key, Invincible, etc) they are pretty much consistently ones where the cover is printed on a heavier, glossier cardstock which lends itself really well to those uber-high grades. In comparison, try finding a recent issue of Uncanny X-Men or any other book printed on regular cardstock in that high of a grade ...

Virtually_Here: That's a silly argument - true acid-free boards & mylar bags are scientifically proven to halt the decay of paper. I'm not saying that that's the only way to preserve comic books - the stacks that Church used seem to work just fine as well - but claiming that bags & boards don't make a difference is ridiculous.

That's not true, through - if you look at the modern books that are coming back 9.9 and 10.0 (Locke & Key, Invincible, etc) they are pretty much consistently ones where the cover is printed on a heavier, glossier cardstock which lends itself really well to those uber-high grades. In comparison, try finding a recent issue of Uncanny X-Men or any other book printed on regular cardstock in that high of a grade ...

Virtually_Here: That's a silly argument - true acid-free boards & mylar bags are scientifically proven to halt the decay of paper. I'm not saying that that's the only way to preserve comic books - the stacks that Church used seem to work just fine as well - but claiming that bags & boards don't make a difference is ridiculous.

^^

lol

I guess you missed my point!

My points on this post is this..... Older comics are sent in to be graded and that comic can never be read again..... With todays tech we should be able to have the inside pages readable even in a graded comic....... pages scanned and put on memory card instead it's just the front cover that u can see.

second point no it doesn't pay to have modern comics graded and by the time it is worth it there will be so many of them in great condition they will soon drop in price again anyway.

And yes bagged an boarded comics will hold up better, but they way you treat your comics and the enviroment play a bigger role.

Can someone explain to me why Jay Leno collects all those cars? He's just one guy with probably hundreds of cars by now, he's unlikely to be driving all of them. What a waste, all those gorgeous cars just sitting in a warehouse unused. With today's technology he could miniturize them and set up his own bumper car park! Or perhaps shrink them even smaller to Hot Wheel size dimensions and play with them all at once! I tell ya, some people have not a brain in their head. Maybe if I talk louder and shill more people will come around to my way of thinking. hm Perhaps I'll join a car enthusiast website and tell them everything I just said here. Would that be wrong? Joining a site that I have no interest and basically call them all retarded?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=134637&Number=2614457#Post2614457

"Please create a set addition for the complete sets of all the x-men series and their spin-offs (part of which is already available).

Excalibre X-Force X-Factor Generation X Classic X-Men the EarlyYears X-Men '95 X-men Unlimited (all X-men Age of Apocalypse series like gamit and xternals Alpha Omega ect....) X-Man and any others I have left out thanks"

"I am not a grader of comics nor do I care if I have a comic graded, but I do have some questions, and I would like your response.

I have a great looking comic with awesome storylines and panels, but once I send it in to be graded it can't be read again.....so what's the point of having it if all the great panels inside and the story that goes with it can't be seen again?"

Edited by Paratrooper

My points on this post is this..... Older comics are sent in to be graded and that comic can never be read again..... With todays tech we should be able to have the inside pages readable even in a graded comic....... pages scanned and put on memory card instead it's just the front cover that u can see.

second point no it doesn't pay to have modern comics graded and by the time it is worth it there will be so many of them in great condition they will soon drop in price again anyway.

And yes bagged an boarded comics will hold up better, but they way you treat your comics and the enviroment play a bigger role.

1. There is such a thing already - it's called a "trade paperback" or a "reprint". Apart from the insane amount of time this would consume, do you have any idea how much legal trouble CGC would be in if they started scanning entire comic books? Every single comic book manufacturer would sue them out of existence faster than you can say "wow, this is an unbelievably bad idea".

2. An absolute statement like that is nonsense - sure, it's not worth it to slab most modern comics, but that doesn't mean there aren't some modern comics that are worth slabbing.

3. Not really - bags & boards are just as important as the environment your books are in, and even more so if the environment isn't perfectly suited for paper preservation.

If you're buying a valuable comic book through the mail, it might be advisable to buy one that has been graded. But if you're buying a graded comic book hermetically sealed in plastic and you leave it sealed, you're either just doing it to resell it and don't give a damn if it's a comic book or an ingot of gold or you're a comic book lover who's an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. A comic book that remains sealed is not a comic book anymore. It is a very small poster. It's like having your dog or cat stuffed when they die. You can still look at them, but there's nothing that remains tangible on the inside. It even amazes me that most people use Magic tape to seal their comic book bags that you need the jaws of life to get open after it's been sitting, which means they never look inside. (use the small colored adhesive removable dots they sell at Walmart). I may face criticism, but I object to graded comic books remaining sealed for collections, maybe because I grew up actually reading them.

On 5/28/2020 at 1:30 PM, donausten said:

If you're buying a valuable comic book through the mail, it might be advisable to buy one that has been graded. But if you're buying a graded comic book hermetically sealed in plastic and you leave it sealed, you're either just doing it to resell it and don't give a damn if it's a comic book or an ingot of gold or you're a comic book lover who's an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. A comic book that remains sealed is not a comic book anymore. It is a very small poster. It's like having your dog or cat stuffed when they die. You can still look at them, but there's nothing that remains tangible on the inside. It even amazes me that most people use Magic tape to seal their comic book bags that you need the jaws of life to get open after it's been sitting, which means they never look inside. (use the small colored adhesive removable dots they sell at Walmart). I may face criticism, but I object to graded comic books remaining sealed for collections, maybe because I grew up actually reading them.

Real flex to find a twelve year old thread and create an identity on a CGC chat room just to tell people you don’t like what CGC does.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go join an Indianapolis Colts chat website to tell them why they should have picked Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning, mainly because the West Coast offense can only be run effectively by quarterbacks who played in colleges on the West Coast.