• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bakersfield-Con

12 posts in this topic

Wow!

20 years ago I promoted the first ever Comic show in Bakersfield. It was in a small meeting room at the Red Lion Inn. The room could hold about 100-150 and I had just shy of 600 attend. Only 5 dealers in the room and we all made a killing.

Several months later I held another at the Fair Grounds about the time the 1st Batman movie came out. It pulled in over 600 and did well.

Over the next couple years before I moved from CA. I had a few more shows at the Casa Royale hotel.

I remember having over the years Sergio Aragones, Whilce Portacio, Brent Anderson & Scott Williams as guests. Sergio has got to be one of coolest people in the industry.

At a couple of the shows Brian Peets sold as well as Jef Hinds. I wonder if my old friend George Marquez is still active in comics?

The first few shows did so well for dealers that it was easy to get dealers from as far away as Sacramento. The later shows probably drew in the low 200's.

If anyone can remember the shows let me know who some of the other dealers were of if you attended.

I really liked Bakersfield and we made a trip out last year and visited some old friends.

Leroy Harper

I might head up. Giving up a Sunday to drive to Bakersfield from L.A., well, I could think of a few other things to do instead.
Awesome! LMK if you wanna split a table so you can at least make some cash on the day. Tables are cheap and I won't take up much room.