• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP! ...I think I'm being swindled!

97 posts in this topic

OK I'm late here but the buyer offered to pay with a check/MO in US funds right?

Why didn't the seller take it minus the full Paypal fees?

The seller wouldn't lose a dime right?

(shrug)

:gossip: The seller's a bonehead.

The part that really gets me is this:

The buyer offered to pay next week, and the seller noted "Sure, that's fine. Please keep me posted." hours later... ebay auction started

How do you list a book on eBay that you have just agreed to sell privately. If the seller had an issue with the buyer's intentions (and I'll point out that the buyer's email communications seemed adequate to me), then he shouldn't have agreed to sell the book to the buyer. This seems like some pretty crooked business by the seller to me. Issa - Am I missing something; it sounds like you had a deal in place yet you went ahead and listed it on eBay hours later? I think that in order to salvage your good reputation (assuming you have one) a pretty big apology is in order to the buyer, as well as a sale at the PayPal discounted price suggested by the buyer, transacted through a 3rd party.

I posted the item on eBay so quickly because it took Channdy 7 days to go from "I'm interested" to "I'll pay you next week". Please count the number of times I politely asked Channdy to send a payment as soon as possible. After a few requests on my part, Channdy finally committed to "next week". I also assumed that because Channdy took so long to commit to a payment, combined with only have ONE post in the last 12 months...I thought I was wasting my time and I sincerely apologize for assuming the worst in this case.

Channdy, you have my apologies. I was not trying to mislead anyone in this transaction. Next time, please make your sellers aware that they are accepting an international payment and shipping their books to a Forwarding company. Payment DOES NOT seal the deal if a book is a lost by my courier or yours. I was only trying to protect the sale, so that the item could be recovered if god forbid, something happened. In the future, I will not fuss over Paypal fees either and I will try to reach a solution that meets both of our needs.

Let this be a lesson to both buyers and sellers that we should always try to reassure both parties, that we are sincerely interested in an item and are committed to payment, early in the discussion phase. If there is any kind of discrepancies in Paypal account holders and confirmed shipping addresses, please be up front and honest.

Thanks for your time, I'm very sorry for overreacting. Both Channdy and Benson are very stand-up guys and I will try my hardest not to be so judgmental in the future. :(

Sincerely,

Issa

P.S. please go easy on me guys, I'm still licking my wounds from some your recent remarks. :(

There is really no lesson for the buyer to learn here. The sale was tainted by the seller on two fronts: (1) the overreaction described above; and (2) the more egregious one - posting item on ebay when buyer said he'd pay in a week (not that he was still thinking about it), and the seller did not inform the buyer that this would be a problem.

I guess I am just fortunate that all my forum sales have been smooth as silk thus far.

OK I'm late here but the buyer offered to pay with a check/MO in US funds right?

Why didn't the seller take it minus the full Paypal fees?

The seller wouldn't lose a dime right?

(shrug)

:gossip: The seller's a bonehead.

The part that really gets me is this:

The buyer offered to pay next week, and the seller noted "Sure, that's fine. Please keep me posted." hours later... ebay auction started

How do you list a book on eBay that you have just agreed to sell privately. If the seller had an issue with the buyer's intentions (and I'll point out that the buyer's email communications seemed adequate to me), then he shouldn't have agreed to sell the book to the buyer. This seems like some pretty crooked business by the seller to me. Issa - Am I missing something; it sounds like you had a deal in place yet you went ahead and listed it on eBay hours later? I think that in order to salvage your good reputation (assuming you have one) a pretty big apology is in order to the buyer, as well as a sale at the PayPal discounted price suggested by the buyer, transacted through a 3rd party.

I posted the item on eBay so quickly because it took Channdy 7 days to go from "I'm interested" to "I'll pay you next week". Please count the number of times I politely asked Channdy to send a payment as soon as possible. After a few requests on my part, Channdy finally committed to "next week". I also assumed that because Channdy took so long to commit to a payment, combined with only have ONE post in the last 12 months...I thought I was wasting my time and I sincerely apologize for assuming the worst in this case.

Channdy, you have my apologies. I was not trying to mislead anyone in this transaction. Next time, please make your sellers aware that they are accepting an international payment and shipping their books to a Forwarding company. Payment DOES NOT seal the deal if a book is a lost by my courier or yours. I was only trying to protect the sale, so that the item could be recovered if god forbid, something happened. In the future, I will not fuss over Paypal fees either and I will try to reach a solution that meets both of our needs.

Let this be a lesson to both buyers and sellers that we should always try to reassure both parties, that we are sincerely interested in an item and are committed to payment, early in the discussion phase. If there is any kind of discrepancies in Paypal account holders and confirmed shipping addresses, please be up front and honest.

Thanks for your time, I'm very sorry for overreacting. Both Channdy and Benson are very stand-up guys and I will try my hardest not to be so judgmental in the future. :(

Sincerely,

Issa

P.S. please go easy on me guys, I'm still licking my wounds from some your recent remarks. :(

:boo::boo:

There is really no lesson for the buyer to learn here. The sale was tainted by the seller on two fronts: (1) the overreaction described above; and (2) the more egregious one - posting item on ebay when buyer said he'd pay in a week (not that he was still thinking about it), and the seller did not inform the buyer that this would be a problem.

I guess I am just fortunate that all my forum sales have been smooth as silk thus far.

Sorry, that is BS. The buyer is not guiltless in this transaction, and there's been too much piling on of this seller. As far as I'm concerned, too many international buyers take a cavalier attitude towards these types of transactions and are insensitive to the risks of selling books internationally, especially when paypal is involved. A conscientious international buyer has some obligation to understand the issues regarding such a transaction, and if he wants a smooth transaction, takes steps to clarify all important issues. The seller did a few things wrong (the ebay listing especially), but:

1. His concerns regarding his risk with the paypal payment seem totally warranted. He was not protected if he were to ship to an alternative address. This problem was created by the buyer; and

2. The buyer attempted to pay less than the agreed price after the form of payment changed, through an intermediary. For me by the time this happened, with all the problems up to that point, I would have blown this deal off.

Give the guy a break. His situation was difficult, and in the end he tries to explain his thinking and apologize, and he still gets from people. It's easy to armchair quarterback this when it's not your money.

Sorry, that is BS. The buyer is not guiltless in this transaction, and there's been too much piling on of this seller. As far as I'm concerned, too many international buyers take a cavalier attitude towards these types of transactions and are insensitive to the risks of selling books internationally, especially when paypal is involved. A conscientious international buyer has some obligation to understand the issues regarding such a transaction, and if he wants a smooth transaction, takes steps to clarify all important issues. The seller did a few things wrong (the ebay listing especially), but:

1. His concerns regarding his risk with the paypal payment seem totally warranted. He was not protected if he were to ship to an alternative address. This problem was created by the buyer; and

2. The buyer attempted to pay less than the agreed price after the form of payment changed, through an intermediary. For me by the time this happened, with all the problems up to that point, I would have blown this deal off.

Give the guy a break. His situation was difficult, and in the end he tries to explain his thinking and apologize, and he still gets from people. It's easy to armchair quarterback this when it's not your money.

Agreed. One time poster with limited/poor communication. Shipping address concerns. Not without blame but give the seller a break. I know to some a 3K book is nothing but to me it would be a ton.

And a shout out to WS from raleigh.

I can understand why Issa was worried by the transaction.

He didn't handle it well, listing the book on ebay at that point was wrong, publically branding the buyer as a potential swindler without more to back it up was wrong.

But the guy has admitted he was wrong and apologised, there is little more he can do now. Hopefully lessons have been learnt and crucifying him further serves no purpose.

I can understand why Issa was worried by the transaction.

He didn't handle it well, listing the book on ebay at that point was wrong, publically branding the buyer as a potential swindler without more to back it up was wrong.

But the guy has admitted he was wrong and apologised, there is little more he can do now. Hopefully lessons have been learnt and crucifying him further serves no purpose.

Agreed. Everybody deserves a 2nd chance... :)

You're right, it is BS. I hope the buyer learned his lesson - don't have few posts and don't live in the Phillipines.

"too many international buyers take a cavalier attitude towards these types of transactions and are insensitive to the risks of selling books internationally".

Maybe, but not this buyer. Deal was done and he sent $3000 payment over paypal as agreed. It would have been real interesting if someone had bought the book on e-bay during the week the buyer was gathering the funds to pay.

I agree everyone deserves a second chance, and it looks like this matter has been resolved. Wonderful news for all involved. :golfclap:

hi,

This is the wife of Channdy. I am the girl that the seller was referring to as the holder of the paypal account. :acclaim:

My husband needed a week because he "had to do the dishes for a week" before i would release the funds to him. :sumo:

we intentionally waited for the ebay auction to end before sending the money so that the seller won't get in trouble. What if the item was bought on ebay or if he had received a much better offer, what would the seller have done?

With regards to us being a newbie with only ONE POST and wanting to buy a high ticket book for our collection . We knew that that would be a concern for anyone, that is why we gave our ebayname as reference.

To clarify the issue regarding paypal fees, we have no idea about that because we are not sellers but only buyers, and all those that we have bought items from, never raised any issue of additional paypal fees for international payments.

apology accepted. we are sorry for any inconvenience we might have caused anyone. :blush:

hi,

This is the wife of Channdy. I am the girl that the seller was referring to as the holder of the paypal account. :acclaim:

My husband needed a week because he "had to do the dishes for a week" before i would release the funds to him. :sumo:

we intentionally waited for the ebay auction to end before sending the money so that the seller won't get in trouble. What if the item was bought on ebay or if he had received a much better offer, what would the seller have done?

With regards to us being a newbie with only ONE POST and wanting to buy a high ticket book for our collection . We knew that that would be a concern for anyone, that is why we gave our ebayname as reference.

To clarify the issue regarding paypal fees, we have no idea about that because we are not sellers but only buyers, and all those that we have bought items from, never raised any issue of additional paypal fees for international payments.

apology accepted. we are sorry for any inconvenience we might have caused anyone. :blush:

(worship) wow Chanddy had it easy, just two weeks of dishes. If it was my wife, he would make me wash the laundry as well! you're a good wife. ;)

seriously though i hope the seller and buyer have settled the issues and let me know if both want to continue on with it. To Chanddy's wife, nice seeing you on the board and go easy on Chanddy. :devil:

hi,

Wow. Wow. Wow. Mrs Channdy I think I love you!!!!! A woman who stands up for her man by making a rational reasonable post in some dumbo comic board (dumbo to my wife and most wives out there anyways) and releasing significant funds to your husband for the purchase of a comic book after only a week of domestic duties further supports my open declaration of :foryou:

hi,

Wow. Wow. Wow. Mrs Channdy I think I love you!!!!! A woman who stands up for her man by making a rational reasonable post in some dumbo comic board (dumbo to my wife and most wives out there anyways) and releasing significant funds to your husband for the purchase of a comic book after only a week of domestic duties further supports my open declaration of :foryou:

(tsk) be careful!

:jokealert:

You're right, it is BS. I hope the buyer learned his lesson - don't have few posts and don't live in the Phillipines.

"too many international buyers take a cavalier attitude towards these types of transactions and are insensitive to the risks of selling books internationally".

Maybe, but not this buyer. Deal was done and he sent $3000 payment over paypal as agreed. It would have been real interesting if someone had bought the book on e-bay during the week the buyer was gathering the funds to pay.

I agree everyone deserves a second chance, and it looks like this matter has been resolved. Wonderful news for all involved. :golfclap:

You seem to have a major blind spot re: the fact that seller has no protection when shipping to an address other than that associated with the paypal account. Am I missing something here? Is this not the case?

hi,

(tsk) be careful!

:jokealert:

Thanks for the advice but my wife makes me do the dishes AND she won't give me $3000 for a comic.

hi,

I hope you two remain on the boards. You seem like nice people. I also think that you will find purchases here in the future to be much more rewarding than this unusual experience.