• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trimming The Fat

100 posts in this topic

Sell the books you can replace easily. Don't keep things that are relatively common at the expense of getting something that isn't.

well see, this I understand.

I have been guilty at sacrificing the best at the cost of the good.

I've bought over $3,000.00 dollars worth of books since I came back into the industry in 2002. Probably closer to $5,000.00.

For that amount of money I could have bought a fantastic copy of my grail.

garumph,

Like I said from the start its a quantity vs. value thing, nothing more. An example would be similar to this.

Would you keep this book thats worth over $500

conan1043.jpg

vs. this book that worth under $500

submariner48114.jpg

:takeit: Both of 'em!!

I do this often right now, but the results are less than stellar. On average my "raw" mid-grade books (F to VF) return roughly 20%-25% of my high end purchases. Yes, it's a return, but certainly not a supplement of any kind, regarding expenditure.

Sell the books you can replace easily. Don't keep things that are relatively common at the expense of getting something that isn't.

I've bought over $3,000.00 dollars worth of books since I came back into the industry in 2002. Probably closer to $5,000.00.

garumph,

Like I said from the start its a quantity vs. value thing, nothing more. An example would be similar to this.

conan1043.jpg

submariner48114.jpg

Nik, none of this is a personal attack on you, so if it comes accross that way, re-read this sentence.

But I still don't get it. You say quality over quantity, but compare 1=1 books!

Now, if you're talking CGC grading, I'm sorry friend, but a 9.8 book X could never trump a 9.4 book Y that I have a personal attatchment to.

I collect comics, not grades. :)

I'd want a balance of both. Big books, no matter how expensive they are cannot fill the void of having a collection in my opinion.

A lot of time collectors who only have a few really big books have other collecting interests so they don't necessarily have to turn to comics to get their fix.

R.

I agree 100%. For the real "comic book collector", I can't see just owning 10 really pricey books. Expensive/valuable or not, there are just too many sweet lower priced books for a true comic book guy to just pass over or eliminate from his collection.

I'd want a balance of both. Big books, no matter how expensive they are cannot fill the void of having a collection in my opinion.

A lot of time collectors who only have a few really big books have other collecting interests so they don't necessarily have to turn to comics to get their fix.

R.

I agree 100%. For the real "comic book collector", I can't see just owning 10 really pricey books. Expensive/valuable or not, there are just too many sweet lower priced books for a true comic book guy to just pass over or eliminate from his collection.

There is just no way you, Nik or I could ever be happy owning a small handful of books.

(thumbs u

garumph,

conan1043.jpg

submariner48114.jpg

This is my example. You can much more easily replace a Conan 1 9.4 than a Sub-Mariner 48 9.8 pedigree copy.

garumph,

conan1043.jpg

submariner48114.jpg

This is my example. You can much more easily replace a Conan 1 9.4 than a Sub-Mariner 48 9.8 pedigree copy.

That example is still not a "quantity" v/s "quality" issue.

It's comparing one book to one book.

And again, do you want "emotional" quality, or "potential monetary" quality.

I suspect more collectors would have an emotional attatchment to the Conan 1 over the Subby book.

Agreed, but if you're looking to "trim the fat", the book to trim is the book you can more easily replace. Unless that's your OO copy of the Conan 1, you can easily replace it.

this, I agree with you on, Dan.

I stated earlier that the enemy of the best (getting AF15) is the good (filling in Amazing holes.)

worth remembering to a collector like me who likes to check boxes off and buy in smaller amounts.

R.

There is just no way you, Nik or I could ever be happy owning a small handful of books.

(thumbs u

But again, this is relative to each collector. For example, I probably have close to 50 short boxes of comics, but I'm in the process of culling that down to hopefully 24. I'm never going to have a small handful of books, but certainly less than what I currently have. (And this is after I've culled probably another 20 short boxes over the last few years).