• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What am I ethically required to do ???

27 posts in this topic

Of course we are assuming that the customer is a honest and forthright fellow. I woul dtry to investigate on your end and see how it was delivered...etc. And then offer a partial refund, both of you take a hit due to an unfortunate circumstance, and the seller should feel okay on that and understand your position.

His position: Never received the item

Your position: Data showing it was delivered.

Meet in the middle.

this has happened to me before, but i was the buyer. mad.giffrown.gifconfused.gif the damn postal employee was leaving the packages in the lobby and it would get stolen. 893frustrated.gif i never blamed the seller either since i didn't buy insurance, im just glad it was never a big ticket item. you did your part rick, just show the buyer the delivery confirmation and tell him/her to contact their post office to file a complaint. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif but since you said it's insured, you're/he/she is covered.....so it's all good! gossip.gifthumbsup2.gif

It doesn't seem obvious to me. Is there any way to find out from the post office whose signature the carrier got?

I don't think anyone was required to sign for the package...no delivery confirmation requested...

However, even though I only buy comics, I think the seller (Araich) is totally covered and in the clear on this one, transaction-wise. HE knows that he sent the item, but he can't be certain that the buyer didn't get the package and then turn around and deny receiving it. Since it's insured, it seems like a non-issue; provide the buyer with the necessary info to file a complaint with the post office, and then if the buyer is in anyway acting fraudulently, it'll be the P.O. that he/she has to answer to...

I don't think anyone was required to sign for the package...no delivery confirmation requested...

Every time I buy books with insurance, I get a little green card in my mailbox telling me to cart my butt to the post office to sign for them. Whenever I ask the person at the post office whether I can check the little box that says "leave my package at my door" or not, they say you can't do that with insured items because the USPS requires a signature because they don't want to be left holding the bag on the insured value. All I do is buy books, and I've been to the post office about 150-200 times over the last few years to pick stuff up, so I've definitely asked more than once whether I had to keep going down there if I didn't feel like doing it on less expensive items.

Am I missing something? Araich said he insured it, so unless my local post office is wrong about USPS procedure, somebody on that second floor apartment had to have signed for it.