• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #99 sells for $7000

88 posts in this topic

I want someone to examine, and explain, to me where that $7,000.00 #99 9.8 is $6,950.00 BETTER than this copy? (I paid $50.00 for this RAW back in 1985 :acclaim: ) THIS is the crux of MY contention, and i'm sure a few others hm

1) They bought their copy 23 years later than you did. The market has changed a little.

2) They bought their copy slabbed. You bought yours raw.

3) Their copy is a 9.8. Yours is a 9.4.

Should I keep going? Perhaps you should bring up apples, when that's what is being discussed.

:whatev:

YES, you should keep going, you have not answered my query in the least? It's apples to apples, CLEARLY...same book (duh) a HALF grade? an OPINION of people grading paper? for $6,950.00 MORE??? no, please, keep going...i'm trying to ascertain what your post intended?

As for the 23 years?...fine, find a CGC 9.4 for what? $300.00-$350.00? so $6,700.00 better?

I don't think so in a trillion years. Madness is madness, regardless of an opinion.

To think my impression of you was that you were a doofus. I sold you way short, man.

Ouch, coming from an intelligent source like you, that truly hurts :cry:

my day, ruined

And just what purpose do you serve in the world? I mean besides giving plants plenty of CO2 to keep them alive.

Tell the nurse that it's time for your medication again. :foryou:

Define "reasonable". Isn't reasonable whatever someone is willing to pay? It's a collectible. The market is what sets the pricing.

But one seller artificially bumping up prices to sell on consignment to one buyer does NOT a market make.

If that book had been pushed to $7K in open auction, it would be a different story.

I'm not debating that one sale certainly doesn't create a market for the book (either positively or negatively). I'm simply arguing that you can't call the price or the sale "unreasonable" per se. I think reasonable is relative to the person buying the book. What is reasonable to you or I is not necessarily the same for someone in Brulato's collecting realm. I wonder what Ghost Town or Schmell would think of this record price?

If you compare it to some of the ASM prices realized in the recent ComicLink auctions (ASM 31, 37, 50, 60, 69, etc.), I don’t think the price is all that crazy or unique. With the exception of the 31, the C-Link books weren’t even one of a kind. There are multiple people that are driving these ASM prices.

I totally agree. When people not active in this collecting realm make observations about the reasonableness or unreasonableness of the price, I think it's important to have input from those who are actively buying or seeking out these books. Is it a large sum to pay for the only 9.8 ASM 99? Maybe... but again, in the all the years this supposedly common book (and like many spideys, common yes, common in 9.8 no) has been submitted, this is the first 9.8.

Also, I would hope the people buying these books are going to hang on to them for quite some time. It might be stating the obvious, but prices that seem out of line today might not seem so crazy 10 years from now. I know that whenever I've taken a big gulp and paid up for a book, it has usually worked out for me in the long run.

It might be stating the obvious, but prices that seem out of line today might not seem so crazy 10 years from now.

10 years? How about 3 years?

I wish I had started buying bronze high grade Batmans 3 years ago. I could have bought them for 1/3 what they seem to cost now.

I remember when the Dentist paid 25,000 for Action #1 it was deemed insane. Who would say that now. Definitely not apples to oranges but if you have the cash why in the world would he want a 9.4 when any wonk could go out and buy one for 250.00.

For most the point of collecting comics is the hunt as much as anything else. If all he wanted is to complete an ASM run he could do that in about a day with the money he has. There has to be something more. And if TB is the one who bought it, his goal is to get a 9.8 run of ASM pure and simple. To him not dropping 7K on the 99 would be insane. It might be his only chance for a decade to get that book.

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

I remember when the Dentist paid 25,000 for Action #1 it was deemed insane. Who would say that now. Definitely not apples to oranges but if you have the cash why in the world would he want a 9.4 when any wonk could go out and buy one for 250.00.

For most the point of collecting comics is the hunt as much as anything else. If all he wanted is to complete an ASM run he could do that in about a day with the money he has. There has to be something more. And if TB is the one who bought it, his goal is to get a 9.8 run of ASM pure and simple. To him not dropping 7K on the 99 would be insane. It might be his only chance for a decade to get that book.

Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone.

If someone wanted a 9.4 or that is all they could afford then they should be able to own one and feel proud to have it. There's nothing wrong with a solid 9.4.

I like HG books just as good as the next person, but one shouldn't feel driven to own one. The drive for a 9.8 or higher shouldn't be to the point where you lose perspective on what got you in to the hobby in the first place. the exciting cover art, the fascination of the characters and the story that you read over and over.

That being said, I wouldn't be kicking any 9.9 or 10.0 Astonishing X-Men out of the bed either.

BTW... where do I pick up my rock?

If someone wanted a 9.4 or that is all they could afford then they should be able to own one and feel proud to have it. There's nothing wrong with a solid 9.4.

I like HG books just as good as the next person, but one shouldn't feel driven to own one. The drive for a 9.8 or higher shouldn't be to the point where you lose perspective on what got you in to the hobby in the first place. the exciting cover art, the fascination of the characters and the story that you read over and over.

Hey, who stole Doc's account?

Maybe you aren't driven to own one. And maybe you would lose perspective at that point. And maybe exciting cover art, character fascination, and the story got you into collecting. Let's not assume what got others into it.