• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

At what point does the signature devalue the comic? (AF #15)

56 posts in this topic

Check out this signed AF #15

When I see expensive high grade books being signed, I start wondering at what point the signature starts to devalue the comic (i.e. it is considered graffiti on the comic, not a valuable signature)

Sure, signing an AF #15 in 2.0 is great, but would you let Stan write on your AF #15 in 9.2 ?

(and what if he drew a huge ugly spider on the cover) hm

I'm just wondering at what grade level on a silver age key does the signature detract from and perhaps devalue the comic. 6.0? 8.0? 9.0?

And what is up with that strange way this book got signed? A custom slab with a hole in it for Stan to sign through the hole? Were they afraid he would otherwise lower the grade of this 6.0 without this precaution?

RADBCD002008924_184551.JPG

A custom slab with a hole in it for Stan to sign through the hole? Were they afraid he would otherwise lower the grade of this 6.0 without this precaution?

You obviously haven't seen his special Cockroach Cover edition.

Well, that's a real can of worms, isn't it?

Personally, I cringe when I see high grade key books getting signed. I think it's short-sighted, and it's something that defaces the book forever. It can never be reversed. Many people these days seem to be chasing autographs so they can flip the book for a profit, not because they admire the work of the creator and want an autograph for themselves. I think it's a sad and disturbing trend.

Personally, I cringe when I see high grade key books getting signed. I think it's short-sighted, and it's something that defaces the book forever.

I agree, and that's why I will never support the Signature Series for anything by worthless off-the-shelf Moderns. And even then. :screwy:

I think Overstreet Standards used to state writing is allowed in Fine condition.

I think up to about Fine+ on the cover is OK.

In this case, this is probably the most historic book that Stan Lee wrote, along with FF#1. There is a reason most likely this is the highest graded SS.

#1, It's a valuable book, and who wants to risk getting an item damaged ? Or worse yet, when an artists signs with a dull, big, silver or black marker, right on a character's face etc or that cockroach !!! etc

#2) who wants to get this book signed above 8.0 ??? Maybe inside, on the front page, but then there would be too much handling for such a high grade book, a risk of damage.

I think below 7.0 is OK.

Also, I think they state that one of the graders gave this a 6.5, and even for a 6.5 this copy looks pretty darn nice.

To me this seems like a happy medium. A 6.0 for this book is the real start of an investment grade, and the signature even to Overstreet old school standards... is OK.

Since it was done with great care, and the results look fantastic to me, I think this is one sweet book !

And what is up with that strange way this book got signed? A custom slab with a hole in it for Stan to sign through the hole? Were they afraid he would otherwise lower the grade of this 6.0 without this precaution?

I was present at Wonder-con in the late 80's or early 90's, when Stan Lee , while signing the title page, ripped the cover of my buddy's book. Stan then wrote on the book, " Officially torn by Stan Lee", and circled the tear .

doh!

I got my 1.8 Signed by Stan Lee

am15.jpg

But I would not have done it if I owned a 5.0 or higher of the book.

Thatd be a nice looking book with a bath :grin::baiting:

That's a nice sig on your AF 15. (thumbs u

If only all his signatures were as nice. Unfortunately....someone keeps letting Stan use the supa-fat Silver sharpie... :tonofbricks:

I've owned 10 or so Stan SS books, and now I own one. This is my keeper.....

001SSASM100.jpg

Were I to submit a higher grade copy, I would ask that Stan sign the interior Splash page.

am15.jpg

Now this is more like it.

On a 1.8 the signature ADDS to the book's appeal.

But once the book starts to get hard to find IN GRADE, then I think signatures detract from the book.

am15.jpg

Sweet signature, one of the best Stan Lee signatures I've seen !

Plus you got that real RED Spider-man color strike !

Super sharp for a 1.8.

Wanna sell ?

But once the book starts to get hard to find IN GRADE, then I think signatures detract from the book.

What about a nice interior signature?

When I submitted my 3.0 FF 1 to be signed, I had asked if it would be possible to have Stan sign the cover with a soft pencil...rather than a sharpie. Due to time constraints surrounding the signing, it just wasn't feasible to take such detailed requests.

I think soft pencil would be a great substitute for sharpies.

I think it's like anything else about a book's condition... where they sign, how much it detracts from the art, these are the factors that dictate whether or not a sig raises or lowers the value of a book... there are no hard and fast rules on where on a cover an artist should sign, but I seem to prefer having it in an open area, where it's not touching the art at all... I have seen some modern sig books that were plain FUGLY, because of the garish, or over-sized, or just plain stupid placement of a sig (writer's seem to do this more often than artists)... Frazetta seems to be the best at picking the perfect spot to sign a book... followed closely by Neal Adams... Stan Lee seems to be among the worst for choosing proper placement... Glad I don't "collect" Marvel (I own some, but very hit-and-miss... following the dictates of my gut-level collecting credo, it's inevitable that there will be a FEW Marvels that appeal to my tastes...)....

Check out this signed AF #15

When I see expensive high grade books being signed, I start wondering at what point the signature starts to devalue the comic (i.e. it is considered graffiti on the comic, not a valuable signature)

Sure, signing an AF #15 in 2.0 is great, but would you let Stan write on your AF #15 in 9.2 ?

(and what if he drew a huge ugly spider on the cover) hm

I'm just wondering at what grade level on a silver age key does the signature detract from and perhaps devalue the comic. 6.0? 8.0? 9.0?

I think that the reason for the custom slab was probably twofold; (1) make sure that he didn't accidentally lower the grade due to mishandling (it's not too hard to damage the spine if not handled with care), (2) make it perfectly clear to Stan where he should sign; I've seen several books where Stan appears to have signed in less than optimal places.

This would appear to be a prudent measure for a book with this kind of value if you ask me. Nonetheless, you would still have to hope that he didn't go accidentally mess up and overshoot the hole, thus messing up the sig, &/or mess up in some other way, and attempt to "correct" it by making a big old ugly spider on the book...

am15.jpg

Sweet signature, one of the best Stan Lee signatures I've seen !

Plus you got that real RED Spider-man color strike !

Super sharp for a 1.8.

Wanna sell ?

:gossip: Go take a look at Pedigree Comics and you might see a similar book up for grabs ;)