• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Take a stab at actually describing something in your description...

9 posts in this topic

Not that I have anything against this seller in particular... I have never bought anything from them and likely never will. Not one word in the Description section that actually talks to the comic. All their auctions are like this.

So... I'm to assume that the comic is exactly as it appears, based on the front cover only? That they never ever even accidentally have a detached centerfold or something? And I'm to base this assumption on how impressed I am that they've had ads in various publications for a number of years?

It's a peeve of mine. mad.gif

I bought one thing from him after he sent some additional, larger scans. I didn't have a problem.

If the seller doesn't feel like providing additional scans/pics/detailed descriptions, then I am not going to buy. Of course, you need to ask questions to get answers.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Oh, I don't think they're hiding anything, I just think they're lazy. They've typed up a stock bit and just bulk list as many items as they can.

The biggest hassle I ever have, with anyone either in person or online, is returning books due to undisclosed interior defects. Most of the time, the seller is not trying to put one over on you, they just didn't find the defect themselves. This is because not everyone uses the latest up-to-date grading technique called "actually looking".

Bulk listing hundreds or thousands of items with no grade or description means, unless they have a crack squad of grading drones working 24-7, that they are not "actually looking".

They are counting on their customer service ability to handle returns, and don't particularly care if this is a pain for the buyer.

Again, I don't have any experience with this particular seller, but that has been my experience with others.

I hear what you are saying, and I used to buy from the minimal description folks thinking I'd get deals (since the bidding often didn't go very high... tho' that was then... now, books with only the name, number, suggested grade, and scan seem to go for over guide routinely).

Sometimes, I got lucky. Often, not so. One lot I got had most of the MVS missing. Fortunately, they were in the ones that were duplicates for me so it wasn't a biggie. Other times, there has been undisclosed interior writing.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I have never bought from them BUT:

As a person who has collected back-issues for over 20 years, getting a GRADE and an IMAGE, beats the heck out of the old catalogs that only listed a grade.

eBay / Heritage / Comiclink / Bob Storms website / CGC has in my opinion spoiled collectors.

Metropolis won't even send you a scan of the book unless it's worth $500 or more.

Remember you can always send a book back for a refund.

I have never bought from them BUT:

As a person who has collected back-issues for over 20 years, getting a GRADE and an IMAGE, beats the heck out of the old catalogs that only listed a grade.

This may be true in general, but with the right dealers - e.g., Robert Bell - you could safely send off your $ knowing that the books would be as stated, at least by the grading standards of the day. In this sense, things haven't changed that much; you can take a flier on an 'unknown' seller, whether on eBay or off, and maybe get a deal. Or you can patronize the upstanding sellers, pay a bit more, and not be disappointed nearly as often. I do a bit of both.

There was a thread about this seller the other day, and I mentioned the same thing, about not giving really any description of the book. I think nochips said he's been buying from this dealer for over 10 years, and there's been no problem.

They are pretty good at grading and customer service is decent. I was unhappy with a book I bought, no trouble on the refund. I keep 99% of what I get from them. Overall, give them a try.