• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Original art question

17 posts in this topic

Along the same lines of questioning...

Does anyone have a good guess on this one?

Valiant memories (as painful as they might be) should plant this cover

at the top of the list for importance to the Valiant universe...

and in a more general question, what do colors normally get vs. inks?

I know squat about original art buying, as you might have guessed.

For a color guide?! 893whatthe.gif Those Valiant collectors are crazier then GA collectors. stooges.gif

Is a color guide the original hand-painted colors?

Or is it a copy (shrunk/enlarged) of hand-painted colors?

I'm not the most qualified guy to answer this question, but it is not the same as the original cover art, that's for sure. I think it is original in it's own right, but these usually sell for a tiny fraction of the actual art. Someone on these boards collects them (I forget who) so maybe they'll chime in on this. juggle.gif

I think it is original in it's own right, but these usually sell for a tiny fraction of the actual art.

"Actual art" being the inks, right?

So, in general, the "top dollar" goes to the original cover inks (Kirby)...

or to a fully-painted original cover (Frazetta)?

It is not original. When the 4-color art is scanned, 4 negatives result. Those 4 negatives have a dot pattern on them (look at a comic under a magnifying glass and you will see the dot pattern). There are various chemical systems: Color-Key, Chromalin and others, designed to take those 4 color negatives (yellow, magenta, cyan and black) and "print" them. In the case of a color-key, there are 4 individual transparent sheets with one of the 4 colors on each sheet. Overlay these 4 sheets and you have a 4-color image. The chromalin type system is similar, and requires 4 exposures as does the color key, but the end result is a single sheet where the four layers are "fused", so to speak, into a single cohesive image.

Either way, not original art, but from an interesting phase of production, nonetheless.

It is not original. When the 4-color art is scanned, 4 negatives result. Those 4 negatives have a dot pattern on them (look at a comic under a magnifying glass and you will see the dot pattern). There are various chemical systems: Color-Key, Chromalin and others, designed to take those 4 color negatives (yellow, magenta, cyan and black) and "print" them. In the case of a color-key, there are 4 individual transparent sheets with one of the 4 colors on each sheet. Overlay these 4 sheets and you have a 4-color image. The chromalin type system is similar, and requires 4 exposures as does the color key, but the end result is a single sheet where the four layers are "fused", so to speak, into a single cohesive image.

Either way, not original art, but from an interesting phase of production, nonetheless.

Also, you can create a color-key or a chromalin from final negatives (after all the text, graphics etc. have been combined) - you still end up with 4 negatives but on these the artwork, title, price boxes, etc etc etc are all there - it is just like looking at a printed cover. But again, this is repro and not original.

What's the current value on this? Just want to know how much of a premium I'm going to pay.

Did you know about this before I PM'd you? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If I had the money for something like this, I'd easily go 1000-1200... but then I'm a tightwad. So, whoever said ~$1500 is probably right. At the current price ($810) I'd consider it a steal.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

P.S. Good luck (and if you ever need to get rid of some of your lesser Fantastic Four pages... laugh.gif )

What's the current value on this? Just want to know how much of a premium I'm going to pay.

DONUT?!?!? What are you doing buying THAT when you could have had Joanna's MAGNIFICENT Perez for nearly the same price?!?!? 893frustrated.gif