• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I need a backer for an amazing collection

71 posts in this topic

I'd still be down for throwing an old school beatdown on a would-be scammer.

Sorry, y'all. I feel like an .

If I hear from this guy ever ( and I'm sure there will be some kind of request for a "deposit" or transfer) I will try and follow up to see if I can get some info that would lead to Stronguy being able to give that beatdown.

I guess I'd rather be thought a potential sucker than a scammer, so feel free to ridicule away.

No need for ridicule, you didn't know. We all have had our share of eyes as big as saucers in hopes of landing something more then it really is.

Question I want to know is how many vultures, I mean people offered to assist you! (myself included)

Eight people offered help and a couple wrote to express interest in buying some of the books if the deal went through.

I don't think of them as vultures, if something like this were real I'd have been happy to work with any of them, take a small finder's fee and maybe one of the Giant X-men #1 or ASM 129s in lower grade in return.

I've written each of them and told them this thing is a scam. I know reputation is very important here on the boards and I hope mine isn't too damaged by coming off like a total insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I want to say that I wasn't trying to ruin your rep, I just have personally been involved in two "grand" scams where multiple parties have been involved. As you mentioned you have a few prominent board members that will vouch for you and that is cool.

Hopefully no offense was taken and as we spend some time on these boards and in this hobby we all grow a little more saavy.

:foryou:

grandfather died,

marine,

afghanistan

homeless

female

divorced

the scammer covered all his bases.

lol

:roflmao:

I was going to write the exact same thing after reading the preceeding note from the scammer and then moved down one post to yours.........left almost no stone unturned...

grandfather died,

marine,

afghanistan

homeless

female

divorced

lol

I was going to write the exact same thing after reading the preceeding note from the scammer and then moved down one post to yours.........left almost no stone unturned...

No, they missed one --- "Need money to pay for an operation . . . "

lol

grandfather died,

marine,

afghanistan

homeless

female

divorced

lol

No, they missed one --- "Need money to pay for an operation . . . "

lol

you gotta leave SOMEthing for the follow-up email. hm:kidaround:

put aisde this sort of scam, you can't be walking into these situations with $10K in your pocket either. have heard stories about telephone calls about great collections in not so great neighborhoods and the dealer coming and getting mugged.

one of the reasons i'm hesitant to place ads locally...I wouldn't want people bringing stuff to my home (or knowing where my home is) or office and going to someone's house in some bad area doesn't thrill me either. it's not like i have too many friends willing to wait in my car with my shotgun (and have none who would actually use the darn thing unless they were threatened) -- not to mention, white guys driving into the hood arouse suspicion from the police and you don't want to be pulled over with a firearm in the back seat! i used to know more cops who hung around at my old defunct LCS who would probably tag along for fun off-duty, but I lost track of those guys.

put aisde this sort of scam, you can't be walking into these situations with $10K in your pocket either. have heard stories about telephone calls about great collections in not so great neighborhoods and the dealer coming and getting mugged.

one of the reasons i'm hesitant to place ads locally...I wouldn't want people bringing stuff to my home (or knowing where my home is) or office and going to someone's house in some bad area doesn't thrill me either. it's not like i have too many friends willing to wait in my car with my shotgun (and have none who would actually use the darn thing unless they were threatened) -- not to mention, white guys driving into the hood arouse suspicion from the police and you don't want to be pulled over with a firearm in the back seat! i used to know more cops who hung around at my old defunct LCS who would probably tag along for fun off-duty, but I lost track of those guys.

I agree.

this is why i don't place ads for collections -- not the afghanistan scam, but fear of coming to someone's "house" and it's all a set-up to rob me. have heard to situations like that involving comics dealers. i have lost touch with cops I knew who would have tagged along off-duty for fun.

I found it minutes after he posted it. i thought scam. thought maybe he could score it and prove my thoughts wrong. but then i noticed he said $10,000 for the collection plus a finders fee, the lot was $9,060.00 i believe. just got me thinking thats all.

doh! doh!

Nice meh

If its a scam, I'm not in on it.

Ask thehumantorch, or Avenger80, or Pjthib, or 143ksk, I'm just another collector who saw a supposedly local opportunity. Plus, if you back up in the thread I already said that I had a friend who was putting up the money.

I guess too good to be true is always too good to be true .

On the other hand, if deal like that were to come up and be legit, you do have to move fast because the sharks circle quick.

All of the CL ads were for around $9,000. You asked for $10,000 plus a finders fee. That just had me thinking, thats all. You got respected people here to back you up and im cool with that. No harm, no foul.

I saw the Craigslist add as well. This is the response I got when I replied.

Hi there,

I'm contacting you regarding my Comics Collection I had advertised for sale on craigslist. The company that placed the ad for me, advertised my comics nationwide so I guess that you've come across upon the ad in the local classifieds.

First of all I have to tell you that I don't know much about comics and this was inherited from my grandfather who died 6 months ago and he was a collector.I am currently stationed in Kabul,Afganistan in Marine Corps and the comics are here with me.2 months ago before I got deployed here my husband and I got divorced and he won the house by court's decision so now I am

homless and I have to sell this collection.I have asked over the internet and I have received the answer that I can sell them for the price of $9000 but I am opened to other offer since for me they don't mean much to me so I think we can gain both of us since u are a collector and I need the money

For security reasons I want to make this deal through eBay (www.ebay.com) because this way both seller and buyer

are protected I have made my deals only through them and I think this is the best way to close this deal.

If you are interested in buying it please provide me your Full Name ,Address and eBay ID so I can initiate the deal through

eBay.

Please see below the complete description of the collection and pictures :

AMAZING FANTASY #15

AMAZING FANTASY #15

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #1

AVENGERS #1

FANTASTIC FOUR #1

HULK #1

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #83

TALES OF SUSPENCE #39

X-MEN #1

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #3