• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you open this?

35 posts in this topic

This has come up before Linky Dink and usually divides into two camps - those that want to preserve the bagged books as-is and those that maintain the books are being damaged in the "old" bags,

Mine are still in there after more than forty years. :o

well, these might be another matter. a 9.4 of this book just went for $1400 in the metro auction. what are the other two books? i had a DC multipak- adventure #286, aquaman #4 and showcase #38- slabbed those bad boys- all 9.6's. good luck trying to get the kinda jack that those 3 would bring slabbed if they were still in the multipak.

This has come up before Linky Dink and usually divides into two camps - those that want to preserve the bagged books as-is and those that maintain the books are being damaged in the "old" bags,

well, these might be another matter. a 9.4 of this book just went for $1400 in the metro auction. what are the other two books? i had a DC multipak- adventure #286, aquaman #4 and showcase #38- slabbed those bad boys- all 9.6's. good luck trying to get the kinda jack that those 3 would bring slabbed if they were still in the multipak.

I have a couple of them, same contents, four 12c books namely Batman 181, World's Finest 158, Metal Men 20 and JLA 45.

I guess that's where we differ as collectors. Were the books "liberated" and slabbed then the context of where they came from is lost. Bit like a pressed pedigree losing its "status" on resubmission.

I don't sell at all, so I am happy for them to remain as they are - so they can spark debates like this, among other reasons.

I don't know....

I opened a bag of 1967 DC lot of 4 a few years back.

9.6 and 9.8

ONE book got me $4K alone.

The others got me something like $175 each.

At those figures, SCREW nostalgia.

Pay the bills and buy more comics!

I don't know....

9.6 and 9.8

Which book?

I don't know....

9.6 and 9.8

Which book?

Batman 189

I don't know....

9.6 and 9.8

Which book?

Batman 189
:o

what I still find absurd is the whopping discount these 3-fers offerred! A much better deal to just pick out 3 comics yo WANT THAN GET WHAT THEY GIVE YOU TO SAVE A PENNY. Even back then a penny was NOTHING TO FIGHT OVER.

caps lock

the way I remember it, especially as it concerns the funny books, is that this was the only way you could buy them (locally, I'm not saying everywhere). I also remember them being cheaper in the bag than by the piece, so, I'm sure a different format.

I believe that the individual comics were still distributed and sold on newsstands and luncheonettes etc singly as always, but, that other copies were bundled together in bags like these for sales to other outlets: toy stores, etc in an effort to move more books. In later years, unsold back issues were similarly bundled to move them.

so you are right in saying this was the only way you could buy the books, provided there wasnt the usual outlet for picking them up off the stands one by one near you. First time I saw this tried out was with Action comics 290-something where Superman is cured from kryptonite or it was all eliminated... DC advertised a three-pack for 35 cents I think.

again, my response was: "Big Deal! a whole penny!"

I guess it's as the consensus says that if it's super high grade it's worth it, other than that keep em in the pack. I haven't gotten them yet, but I'll probably slab if they look NM. It's really interesting seeing all these other pacs. Thanks everyone.

I love that Superboy cover...story is not bad either

And as for open or leaving bagged, I have been buying bagged comics when I see them for years. Something about them is just cool to me.

Same thing as having rack packs of unopened baseball card with Griffey jr rookies etc on top

Should I open this and slab the Lois and Superboy? Or, is it better to keep them in the package. The middle comic is Inferior 5 last issue. I don't think the middle comic is worth much. I bought it mainly for the Lois.

Also, is this a "warehouse find" or actually still be wrapped from the 70's? I'm thinking it's not a warehouse find.

File9479.jpg

File9478.jpg

Talk about suggestive...that Lois cover is Fellini-esque

That's great but sometimes its more about nostelgia then making coin ;)

That particular multipack along with a few others started showing up on eBay in 2002 from a seller in Ohio.

It may not have been a warehouse find per se but the seller had lots.

I personally have 2 of this particular pack.

I know fantasy-comics on Ebay sold some a few months back. I bought 4 or 5 multipacks from them and opened every single one of 'em. :devil:

Not a single one was high grade though. I think one of the Tarzan books I got may be a 9.4, but most were in the VF range IMO. A couple had some really bad non color breaking bends that went through the whole book. I bought them to read and didn't pay much, so I wasn't too upset. I did email them though, to tell them that they may want to stop advertising them as 9.4 and 9.6's.