• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seanfingh's F-ing Mid-Ohio Con Thread

34 posts in this topic

So I roll in hot to Columbus straight from work on Friday. Begin by checking out the set-up specials. Bought a sweet Jonah Hex 92 from Big Mike. Tried to find some sweet copies of Archie meets the Punisher for Stan Goldberg to sign at the National. Bought a couple of sweet slabs from Al Stoltz and just generally got the lay of the land.

Said hi to Steve Ritter and Dale Roberts and watched Vinnie move his way through Steve's slabs. Found out Todd Casares wasn't setting up this year. :( Met up with pirate and hit Buca di Beppo for a pretty sweet Italian feast. Had some drinks with Bill and Gemma at the Hyatt bar until it was time to put Friday to bed.

Saturday, waited in Alan Davis' line from 8:45 until 11:30. The super sweet Kitty Pryde/Lockheed Fallen Son sketch cover that he did for a mere $10 was WELL worth it. Saw the Jims (DrWatson and cgcworld) (aka Tennessee Jim and Toronto Jim) at the CGC booth and hung out for a little while. I started working on my commissions right after that, securing Mike Grell, Keith Pollard, David Mack and Arvell Jones. Picked up some sigs from P. Craig Russell, Bob McLeod, Alan Davis, Tony Isabella, and Arvell Jones.

Had a good time waiting in line with Toronto Jim and his son for Jason Mewes. Mewes looks they tried to make him go to rehab and he did go, go, go. But he still laid a "Nootch" and a "Snootchie Bootches" on our respective books. :grin:

Had a good time waiting in line with Toronto Jim and his son for Jason Mewes. Mewes looks they tried to make him go to rehab and he did go, go, go. But he still laid a "Nootch" and a "Snootchie Bootches" on our respective books. :grin:

:headbang:

Saturday night turned into a super sweet impromptu forum dinner. We started out having some drinks at the Hyatt bar, where the bartenders were starting to know not just our names, but our credit card numbers. In attendance for drinks were, Bill, Gemma, the loquacious Newt Samson and Chandler and Sharon Rice. I think they already had dinner plans before the impromptu dinner broke out, so we missed them.

Dinner @ Morton's ended up being me, pirate, Kris Moore (the collector), Andrew (aka Buck Biggins aka "Mr. MaiTai") thedude (aka Alton aka"I'm not going to make up an insulting nickname for Alton because he could crush my head like a warm grape") Roy and Lou and the master of ceremonies, Steve Borock.

The dinner was fabulous, the drinks flowed, and I had a great time talking about everything but comics with Roy and Lou. There were a lot of sweet comic war stories from everyone at the table, too. I particularly enjoyed Kris Moore adamantly stating that he would not sell his beloved Jeff Bridges SS book and Borock offering him incrementally more money, until Kris, a hint of a crack in his voice, relented and sold, proving that every man does indeed have his price. (Please note, this contract may be voidable due to *ahem* the intoxication of the parties involved.)

I think Morton's was pretty happy to see our backsides when we finally poured ourselves out of there. Then it was back to the Hyatt where Roy introduced me to the ninth member of our merry gang, Mr. Jack Daniels. After a couple more beers and JD's, Roy and Lou were ready to go dancing and I needed CPR. One more post for Sunday.

Sunday morning came around, and I feel lucky that pirate didn't hit me in the head with a sock full of subway tokens because of my snoring (Thanks AC!) I had to get all of my commissions secured and get my Kuberts done on Sunday. AC helped me with the former and Kris the latter. Mr. Kubert looked great, was in a great mood and shook everyone's hand that offered it. I finished up my SS submission while DROOLING over Drew's (wasonff?) amazing high grade submission. (worship) Can't wait to talk to you about the Swamp Thing, Drew.

Tired, and hung over, I said my goodbyes to everyone and made my way home. It was a great show for meeting creators and getting sketch work done. It didn't look like it was very good for dealers of quality material, and there were more of them than usual. Sunday was pretty dead and I could hear Richie Muchin complaining as he started breaking down his booth around 2 o'clock. :eek: I really enjoyed meeting and hanging out with everyone.

thedude (aka Alton aka"I'm not going to make up an insulting nickname for Alton because he could crush my head like a warm grape")

aww man, I wouldn't do that, I'm a very nice guy and had a blast hanging with everyone :grin:

Sean and me sat next to each other at dinner, and we had very enjoyable conversations.

Everybody was wonderful to talk to and meet (some for the first time).

Thanks to Andrew (Buck Biggins) for getting me in free and a great con experience.

and thanks also to "Warlord" who gave me a free comic (Whitman version of Action #504 "The Creature That Charmed Children" which I remember foundly from my childhood readings.

here's a few things I learned at Mid-Ohio con.

1. Getting a con sketch can be very fun, and addicting. (dispite the long lines)

2. Roy has NEVER seen "The Big Lebowski" :o

3. Roy and Me pretty much agree on everything about GA comics.

4. Detroit Mike is a very funny guy.

5. Me and Andrew both agree that Sarah Palin is hot.

6. Steve B. likes the band Phish sorry uh The Greatful Dead. (but really, isn't that just splitting hairs)

7. and finally, MILFS need love too, (ask Buck Biggins for more on that)

great report Sean, mine wasn't much, but hey, I just got back and I'm beat.

great seeing everyone this year !!

thedude (aka Alton aka"I'm not going to make up an insulting nickname for Alton because he could crush my head like a warm grape")

aww man, I wouldn't do that, I'm a very nice guy and had a blast hanging with everyone :grin:

Sean and me sat next to each other at dinner, and we had very enjoyable conversations.

Everybody was wonderful to talk to and meet (some for the first time).

Thanks to Andrew (Buck Biggins) for getting me in free and a great con experience.

and thanks also to "Warlord" who gave me a free comic (Whitman version of Action #504 "The Creature That Charmed Children" which I remember foundly from my childhood readings.

here's a few things I learned at Mid-Ohio con.

1. Getting a con sketch can be very fun, and addicting. (dispite the long lines)

2. Roy has NEVER seen "The Big Lebowski" :o

3. Roy and Me pretty much agree on everything about GA comics.

4. Detroit Mike is a very funny guy.

5. Me and Andrew both agree that Sarah Palin is hot.

6. Steve B. likes the band Phish sorry uh The Greatful Dead. (but really, isn't that just splitting hairs)

7. and finally, MILFS need love too, (ask Buck Biggins for more on that)

great report Sean, mine wasn't much, but hey, I just got back and I'm beat.

great seeing everyone this year !!

It was great speaking with you again. Did you guys hit the quota? My girlfriend really likes her Shiverbones pin. Next year, I'll have to hang out and get drunk. I forgot they allow drinking in Ohio. (shrug)