• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creating a Spreadsheet to track your comics..

27 posts in this topic

I started on a spreadsheet cause I had to many so I rented a storage bin. Since I will have so many boxes in there I need a way to track them. Once I got started I went all the way

I use Excel, too, and here are my headings.

ISSUE

GRADE

VALUE

PROFESSIONALLY GRADED?

SERIAL NO.

PAGE QUALITY

NOTES

PEDIGREE/COLLECTION

BOUGHT FROM?

AMOUNT PAID

SCAN URL

Obviously these are headers, and the titles read downwards. (thumbs u

Those are the same columns I use, except I have a couple more:

CURRENT GPA VALUE

PERCENTAGE INCREASE

Then I do running totals on the AMOUNT PAID and CURRENT VALUE columns, and do a total PERCENTAGE INCREASE based on these values.

I update the GPA VALUE column every six months or so, whenever I have the time.

I have 3 worksheetsin my Excel file: one for every comic purchased, one for what's in the collection now, and one for what I've sold

Master Sheet and Current Collection sheets has these headings:

Title

Issue #

Condition/Grade

Date of purchase

Amount paid for book

Seller

Comments

Sold Sheet has these headings:

Title

Issue

Grade

Sell price

Shipping costs

Shipping carrier

Buyer

Date sold

Date shipped

Date recieved

Comments

However, I may add PQ to the list. If I owned slabs, then I woul add the cert. number.

I was thinking about some of the columns other members use, in particular the price column. Do you include the shipping cost into the overall price of the comic?

Right now I have all my on-line purchases on a separate sheet and I record the comic price and shipping cost. If I have multiple comics under one order, I spread the shipping cost accordingly to arrive at a net comic cost. For me, I include the shipping into the cost of the comic. What do you do?

I started on a spreadsheet cause I had to many so I rented a storage bin. Since I will have so many boxes in there I need a way to track them. Once I got started I went all the way

Access has the capabilty of creating a template for you that will provide text boxes for you to input all of your books one at a time or if the spreadsheet elrady exists you can do a bulk upload.

I will work on a prototype this week.

Access was designed to manage large complex databases and to allow for the generation of customized reports on the database. If you have a large collection, access provides so much more versatility than excel. It doesn't come with MS Office's base package though and is a bit pricey.

ComicBase is a comic software package built around an Access database. It runs from cheap to about $100 and gives you a subscription that updates the database weekly with all new released comics. Once I found it, I quit worrying about setting up my own access database (since access can be challenging if you don't work with data tables much). I think it could allow more flexibility in generating your own reports but the standard ones are decent enough.