• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is pressing detectable 100% of the time? 50% of the time?

250 posts in this topic

Someday when people get tired of talking about this, we'll get all of the people together who think that pressing can be detected, show them a pile of 100 books, of which three were pressed, and ask them to pull those three and only those three from the pile and explain how they know.

And I will bet you that this massive failure of their fundamental premise still won't end the discussion.

F that, next year in Chicago someone should disperse 10 books among the room. Make him find them.

Someday when people get tired of talking about this, we'll get all of the people together who think that pressing can be detected, show them a pile of 100 books, of which three were pressed, and ask them to pull those three and only those three from the pile and explain how they know.

And I will bet you that this massive failure of their fundamental premise still won't end the discussion.

Facts do not change emotions.

:sumo:

Damn, I'm good. That's worth taking credit for.

hm

And right after that, we'll break out a pile of CGC 9.6, 9.8, 9.9 and 10.0 books, mix them up and ask CGC's head grader to identify them all 100%. :roflmao::roflmao:

Didn't Susan Cicconi state that a professionally pressed comic is virtually impossible to detect?

Actually, it was the opposite. doh!

She stated that professionally pressed comics are very easy to detect? (shrug)

I don't think there is a way to distinguish a book that has pressed by stacking, a la Edgar Church, or pressed by a dry mount press.

Even forgetting the obvious difference in psi (unless you're going to stack your comics to the moon), we're NOT talking about a dry mount press.

Pros like Matt don't use some archaic dry mount device. doh!:flamed::tonofbricks:

Didn't Susan Cicconi state that a professionally pressed comic is virtually impossible to detect?

I wouldn't think she said 'very easy', but she did claim that she could spot them. (thumbs u

Exactly, and she's one of the most reputable resto experts out there, and doesn't work for CGC, so therefore can speak openly.

I don't think there is a way to distinguish a book that has pressed by stacking, a la Edgar Church, or pressed by a dry mount press.

Even forgetting the obvious difference in psi (unless you're going to stack your comics to the moon), we're NOT talking about a dry mount press.

Pros like Matt don't use some archaic dry mount device. doh!:flamed::tonofbricks:

Why don't you tell us how it is done then, since you seem to know so much about it?

I wouldn't think she said 'very easy', but she did claim that she could spot them. (thumbs u

ok.

Why don't you tell us how it is done then, since you seem to know so much about it?

Yes, I agree. I am also curious.

I want to know where Fat Comic Mafia is.

He said he would respond with the hows and whys of being able to spot pressing if someone would start a thread about it.

Here's the thread........

Why don't you tell us how it is done then

lol - another "dry mount press advocate" heard from.

Hey, the 1800's called, they want you back. lollol

jkersey2525.jpg

As always, you're as slick as whale poop in an ice floe! No one misses the fact that you can't answer the question because you have no idea how to press a book. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Lots of people don't know how to press a book. But most of them don't pretend to know how.

There are digital press machines out there that can hit a book with a specific temperature, psi and duration down to the decimal point, but if a high-roller like Matt is still using a ironing board, then I guess you win. :roflmao:

I don't know how anyone can say any percentage, because how would you include books that you didn't know were pressed?

I can tell pretty well if a book has been pressed.

How?

There are tell-tale signs. You could never tell if the book was already slabbed but even a properly pressed book leaves clues that you really need to look for.