• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC's Tales of Terror Annual #1

67 posts in this topic

Shock Illustrated #3 gets a lot of press as the rarest EC, but Tales of Terror #1 has got to be the hardest to find (aside from stuff like Lucky Fights it Through). I'm not a member of GPA to check there, but it appears it's never been on Heritage, I don't remember ever seeing it on clink, and the CGC census has only half the numbers of it than Shock #3. Anyone have this? What's your story on how you got it?

At some point I may just buy some extra ECs and claim I have a coverless copy. :devil:

Steve

Shock Illustrated #3 gets a lot of press as the rarest EC, but Tales of Terror #1 has got to be the hardest to find (aside from stuff like Lucky Fights it Through). I'm not a member of GPA to check there, but it appears it's never been on Heritage, I don't remember ever seeing it on clink, and the CGC census has only half the numbers of it than Shock #3. Anyone have this? What's your story on how you got it?

At some point I may just buy some extra ECs and claim I have a coverless copy. :devil:

Steve

Is Tales of Terror Annual 1 the rarest of all EC's? Yes, it most certainly is. Mr. Bill Gaines had zero, that's right zero copies of it on the 39th floor of his Brooklyn apartment complex. Jim Halperin CEO of Heritage has the highest seen by CGC and perhaps the "best existing" copy; a miscut 9.0. It's really a 8.5 as it was graded by CGC a month or so after they first opened their doors. Someone posted a low grade copy a while back (around a year ago) in the "spare a grade" section. BTW if one does come up at Heritage in high grade your going to have to compete with me; and I'm willing sell my H2 in order to buy it. :devil:

TOT01s.jpg

talesofterrorannual001.jpg

No need to worry about me, I'm not about to compete with your H2. :)

There's enough gaps in my EC collection right now where this book isn't a priority. I just find it funny the publicity Shock #3, though I guess it would be harder without the GF copies around too.

Steve

No need to worry about me, I'm not about to compete with your H2. :)

There's enough gaps in my EC collection right now where this book isn't a priority. I just find it funny the publicity Shock #3, though I guess it would be harder without the GF copies around too.

Steve

The one you see with the grade covered is the 5.0 that sold earlier this year. IMO one fugly 5.0 . As far as Mr. Halperins copy is concerned I talked with him and it would take a TREMENDOUS amount of money for him to part with it. 10 or 15X NM guide.

CC

The one you see with the grade covered is the 5.0 that sold earlier this year. IMO one fugly 5.0 . As far as Mr. Halperins copy is concerned I talked with him and it would take a TREMENDOUS amount of money for him to part with it. 10 or 15X NM guide.

CC

What did the 5.0 go for? Any other sales on GPA? Never seen the issue at a con either.

I guess someone can always get 4 random 1950 ECs, do a cover recreation, then claim a restored copy too.

:jokealert:

CC

What did the 5.0 go for? Any other sales on GPA? Never seen the issue at a con either.

I guess someone can always get 4 random 1950 ECs, do a cover recreation, then claim a restored copy too.

:jokealert:

around thrity-five hundred

CC

There was a 5.0 copy that sold on eBay earlier this year sold by moonriver5 - is this the same one? I thought it went for ~$2,500. That guy had nearly full-runs of all ECs but I had spent all my money before he let the annuals out of the bag (boooo). I think that's the only time I've seen this issue for sale, but I may be wrong... I've only seen Shock #3 for sale once too. So I guess whoever owns them, holds them pretty tightly.

I sold a copy on eBay 5 years ago for $2,600. It was an attractive, color-touched, raw 7.0. But the best feature of the book were the interior stories. Vault 12 ( # 1), TFTC 20 (# 1), Weird Fantasy 13 (# 1) and Weird Science 13 (# 2). I've never seen an EC annual with better content and back in the day, the content of EC annuals would often determine if a premium was warranted or not.

Geppi bought it.

I wish CGC would mark the stories on the label of EC annuals they slab.

There was a 5.0 copy that sold on eBay earlier this year sold by moonriver5 - is this the same one? I thought it went for ~$2,500. That guy had nearly full-runs of all ECs but I had spent all my money before he let the annuals out of the bag (boooo). I think that's the only time I've seen this issue for sale, but I may be wrong... I've only seen Shock #3 for sale once too. So I guess whoever owns them, holds them pretty tightly.

Sorry, I was slightly off. $3,106.00 to be exact :o . Then again I had absolutly no interest in this one because wear and tear. I would rather have a high grade restored copy, like Moondog was reffering to over this particular copy.

CC

As a long-time EC collector, I agree that the first Tales of Terror Annual is possibly the rarest EC comic. (Excepting some of the educational giveaway pamphlets.) I have seen many copies of Shock Illustrated #3 over the years. It seems to be much more common than the first ToT Annual in my opinion. Animated Comics is another EC listed as 'rare" in Overstreet and given a Gerber 8, but it seems to be very common and I have personally owned 3 copies of that book and have seen many others. I started collecting EC's in 1981 when I bought my first original EC comic, Weird Science #21 from a local dealer. By 2006 I had a complete collection of all New Trend EC's, except for the first Tales of Terror Annual which I had never been able to find. When I saw that Dale Roberts had a copy at Wizard World Chicago in 2006 I couldn't get my money out fast enough.

My collection of New Trend EC's was complete. After 25 years of collecting EC's I had "accomplished my goal",and I ended up selling my EC collection on eBay to come up with a down payment on a new house. (Sold as individual issues, not entire collection at once.) As you can see, my copy was not high grade, but it was unrestored and sold for $2,750 on eBay.

talesofterror-1.jpg

talesofterror-1-b.jpg

talesofterror-1-s.jpg

Good job on completing the new trends. I'm sure it was rough parting with them. It seems like your old copy is the 5.0 listed previously in this thread.

I agree about Animated Comics, I don't think it's that rare at all.

I know the educational comics are a different thing all together, but how does finding ToT 1 compare to something like Lucky Fights it Through?

Steve