• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC's Tales of Terror Annual #1

67 posts in this topic

As a long-time EC collector, I agree that the first Tales of Terror Annual is possibly the rarest EC comic. (Excepting some of the educational giveaway pamphlets.) I have seen many copies of Shock Illustrated #3 over the years. It seems to be much more common than the first ToT Annual in my opinion. Animated Comics is another EC listed as 'rare" in Overstreet and given a Gerber 8, but it seems to be very common and I have personally owned 3 copies of that book and have seen many others. I started collecting EC's in 1981 when I bought my first original EC comic, Weird Science #21 from a local dealer. By 2006 I had a complete collection of all New Trend EC's, except for the first Tales of Terror Annual which I had never been able to find. When I saw that Dale Roberts had a copy at Wizard World Chicago in 2006 I couldn't get my money out fast enough.

My collection of New Trend EC's was complete. After 25 years of collecting EC's I had "accomplished my goal",and I ended up selling my EC collection on eBay to come up with a down payment on a new house. (Sold as individual issues, not entire collection at once.) As you can see, my copy was not high grade, but it was unrestored and sold for $2,750 on eBay.

talesofterror-1.jpg

taesofterror-1-b.jpg

tlesofterror-1-s.jpg

that's the same copy as the gift-graded 5.0! Note the identical placement of the cover tears

I don't have the cash to play in that sandbox. I might be able to swing one but it would knock me out for longer than I care to be knocked out. I feel like there are better values out there for what I am interested in anyways

I don't have the cash to play in that sandbox. I might be able to swing one but it would knock me out for longer than I care to be knocked out. I feel like there are better values out there for what I am interested in anyways

I hear that! On my present comic budget, it would take me 2 maybe even 3 years to save for just one book!! lol

It seems like your old copy is the 5.0 listed previously in this thread.

You know, I hadn't even noticed that when I posted, but you're right, it's definitely the same copy.

I had graded it at G/VG 3.0 when I sold it raw on eBay. The fact that CGC graded it at 5.0 really surprises me, to say the least. (However, I'm still very happy with the price I got for it!)

And to answer your question about "Lucky Fights It Through" and "The K.O. Punch", I've personally never seen copies of either book, but I've never really sought them out either.

I had graded it at G/VG 3.0 when I sold it raw on eBay.
(thumbs u

he fact that CGC graded it at 5.0 really surprises me, to say the least.
:screwy:

(However, I'm still very happy with the price I got for it!)

:applause:

How about the Canadian Crime Suspenstories Weird Suspenstories variants? Anyone ever own one of those? I've yet to see those either, but to be honest I don't think I've ever really looked.

I'm on the hunt for a decent Shock #3 currently, but it's not really a priority.So many other missing issues to worry about. :)

How about the Canadian Crime Suspenstories Weird Suspenstories variants? Anyone ever own one of those? I've yet to see those either, but to be honest I don't think I've ever really looked.

I'm on the hunt for a decent Shock #3 currently, but it's not really a priority.So many other missing issues to worry about. :)

You shouldn't have any trouble. Although only 100 copies are still thought to exist, I've seen about 20 sales already this year.

CC

I have a copy of Weird SuspenStories #3. I just bought it on eBay back in August. I probably paid too much for it, but those books never show up so I jumped on the seller's Buy It Now. It's a low grade copy with rusty staples. The seller told me that he owns all three issues of Weird SuspenStories and that this copy was a duplicate. I think that I've only seen one other copy for sale, it was a #3 also.

Sorry, I don't seem to have a scan uploaded right now. Maybe when I get home from work tonight.

For the true EC completist (count me among them), Narrative Illustration (from 1942), is a more difficult find... many EC collectors have never even heard of it. Written by Max Gaines, it recounts the brief history (to that point) of comic illustration, and contains some of the stories that appeared in the early "Picture Stories" series. Not too long ago, the Overstreet guide speculated whether any existed. Today, the census shows 6 copies, the highest being a 7.0. I managed to score a copy a few years ago at a local antique auction... my eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw it and the auctioneer clearly had no clue about what he had.

I have heard of the Narrative Illustration book, as it is mentioned and pictured in Grant Geissman's "Tales of Terror! The EC Companion" book, but I have never seen one in person. According to Geissman's book, there is also a sequel to Narrative Illustration called Good Triumphs Over Evil! I've never seen one of those either.

narrative.jpg

Here is my Weird SuspenStories #3. As you can see, it isn't going to win any prizes for condition, but I'm thrilled to own it nevertheless. I just don't think there can be very many of these in existence.

weird-suspenstories-3.jpg