• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the #1 book to own by Robert Crumb?

16 posts in this topic

Do you want the most desirable as in collectible or the most desirable as in the best representation of his talent?

Zap 1 or Zap 0 is probably an example of the former, not sure what the latter is. There's lots of his work out there in reprints to read. He's had a long and distinguished career.

Do you want the most desirable as in collectible or the most desirable as in the best representation of his talent?

Zap 1 or Zap 0 is probably an example of the former, not sure what the latter is. There's lots of his work out there in reprints to read. He's had a long and distinguished career.

Heritage to Auction Historic Robert Crumb Art, and other Underground Comix Treasures

Heritage to Auction Historic Robert Crumb Art, and other Underground Comix Treasures

@Fandango, My experience with mimeographed books is that they don't generally hold their value. As an underground collector (purist), they can form the centerpiece of any collection (i.e. Adventures of Jesus or Das Kampf - there were less than 50 of these books handed out on college campuses). But I believe there is an air of suspicion with books which have been xeroxed, and it doesn't help that these books cannot be certified (I personally have observed a significant premium backlash in the last 5-8 years on books that can't be slabbed).

As for the original question, its the Plymell edition of Zap Comix 1 (distinguished by a 25 cent cover price or the words "Printed by Charles Plymell" on the rear cover). This is the highly prized, first printing, of Crumb's first work in comics, and the most influential and most sought after book of the counter-culture era.

this is an interesting question...

i agree w/ what has been said regarding Zap Comix #1 (1st; 25c cvr)... w/ the publication of Zap #1, undergrounds had their popular reception and an avant garde art movement in 'comic book form' rapidly coalesced around the counterculture of San Francisco. Zap #1 was THE BOOK that inspired so many other artists to do their own comix and that is why it is ranked at #7 in Jerry Weist’s (2004) 100 Greatest Comic Books (Comicwiz has often pointed this out).

the book just oozes counterculture history... the four color cover for the first pressing of Zap #1 was printed by Beat poet/novelist Charles Plymell; it set a standard 7x10 size for most u-comix that followed; it was manually assembled/stapled in Crumb’s apt; & (as legend goes) it was distributed in the Haight out of a baby stroller. there is little doubt that Zap #1 (1st) is a grail among u-comix collectors & it makes it the most desirable book to own from a historical & collectible standpoint.

&... the next best one might well be Zap Comix #0 (1st; 'Donahue printing'). when first prompted to draw a full comic book for the counter-culture, it might surprise some that Crumb drew THIS BOOK (& not #1). he submitted the book for publication to Yarrowstalks editor Brian Zahn, who skipped off overseas & the original artwork lost (coincidentally... Yarrowstalks #3 is a scarce all-Crumb tabloid). Crumb, having sent xeroxes to William Cole, got them back, re-touched them, drew a new cover (w/ influence from Victor Moscosso, as seen in Comic Book Confidential), & published it as Zap #0 to preserve the sequence. 10yrs later Crumb's lawyer Albert Morse for the original artwork back from Brian Zahn, but it disappeared shortly after, & Zap #0 has YET to be printed from the original artwork. because (again) of the history involved & that the artwork precedes Zap #1... Zap #0 (1st) is the 2nd most desirable all-Crumb comix.

now if those books are a little stratospheric in price...

Zap #1 (1st) $8000+ in NM

Zap #0 (1st) $1000 in NM

2 other Crumbs are gaining in popularity/collectability.

Zap Comix #1 (2nd; 35c 'Donahue printing')

the first printing of Zap #1 sold out in just a few months & the book was quickly reprinted by Donahue (5000 copies, w/ an increase in price to 35c). Donahue saved a nice stack of these for yrs in NM condition & when a nice copy hits the market, it often fetches full guide or more ($500 in NM). many collectors consider the guide value (8k -> 5hundy) to be too disparate.

Zap Comix #2 (1st state; 50c, hvy weight cvr, "Heads First" miscut)

Zap #2, while not an all-Crumb issue (++Wilson, Moscoso, Griffin), actually precedes #0 & is the 2nd Zap Comix published. while the precise printing history is not known (& may never be fully understood) the book's collectability has increased dramatically in recent years based on some research by CGC contributer & HeadComix moderator 50c II 1st (IITravel) that strongly suggests the 1st state of the 1st printing may have been as paltry as 500 copies. not surprisingly then, a few retailers have stated that a Zap #2 (1st state) is more difficult to find than a Plymell Zap #1 ($400 in NM, but good luck finding it for that).

Snatch #1 (1st) is also a strong contender (Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike? NM $1000)

again, not all-Crumb... but Snatch #1-3 were take-offs on the pocket-sized pinup mags and Tijuana bibles of the 30s-50s. the highly sought after #1 is thought to have a first print run was approximately 800 copies (Kennedy 1982), but the actual number of copies printed may approximate 300 copies. both publisher Don Donahue and S Clay Wilson were distressed the difficulty in folding Wilson’s drawing which appears on pgs 10 and 11. During hand-assembly, the hippies were having a very difficult time assembling the two-page spread, and matching-up the drawing with the rest of the pages. As a result the drawing was reduced to one page and another drawing was done to form a two cell layout (source Comicwiz). According to Donahue, Moe Moskowitz a Berkeley bookstore owner purchased approximately 80% of the first printing and then put 50c stickers (originally 25c) on them for re-sale in his store (source Comicwiz).

IMHO...

A much more affordable key all-Crumb would be PEOPLE'S COMICS, THE (1st, 50c, Golden Gate Publ.)... which features the Death of Fritz the Cat & Harvey Pekar's first published work in comix (scripts on the back cover). That Pekar back cover (1972) precedes American Splendor by over 3 years! $70 in NM.

IMHO...

A much more affordable key all-Crumb would be PEOPLE'S COMICS, THE (1st, 50c, Golden Gate Publ.)... which features the Death of Fritz the Cat & Harvey Pekar's first published work in comix (scripts on the back cover). That Pekar back cover (1972) precedes American Splendor by over 3 years! $70 in NM.

Not to stray OT here, but I was under the impression that there was only one printing of "People's Comics." I'm far from an underground expert, but I thought I knew about that one!

lol

I am a noob, but IMO, if cost is no object, agree w/ others above, a Zap Comix #1 Plymell Edition is the official Crumb grail.

There are also a couple 2nd Ed. for sale on Pedigree Comics and in their Grand Auction:

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=21976

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/auction-detail.php?issue_id=21977

Beauty doesn't come cheap, eh.

Zap #1 (1st) $8000+ in NM

This book is grossly undervalued in Juststopit.DoyouWANTastrike?, and due for a two-fold increase (likely by the next supplement release).

Even so, people know the value of this book... Didnt a copy that was graded as a 1.0-1.5 sell for $1,000 this or last year?

@Fandango, My experience with mimeographed books is that they don't generally hold their value. As an underground collector (purist), they can form the centerpiece of any collection (i.e. Adventures of Jesus or Das Kampf - there were less than 50 of these books handed out on college campuses). But I believe there is an air of suspicion with books which have been xeroxed, and it doesn't help that these books cannot be certified (I personally have observed a significant premium backlash in the last 5-8 years on books that can't be slabbed).

Yeah, but the provenance and mailer for that particular book makes it pretty damn special - I can see how it realized the price it did. If another copy surfaced, and was deemed authentic by comparison with the Pahl's copy - what sort of price do you think it would get?

Yeah, but the provenance and mailer for that particular book makes it pretty damn special - I can see how it realized the price it did. If another copy surfaced, and was deemed authentic by comparison with the Pahl's copy - what sort of price do you think it would get?

Placing all considerations with regards to value firmly to one side, as a fan of Crumb I would want to own one of those seminal pieces above all else.

Placing all considerations with regards to value firmly to one side, as a fan of Crumb I would want to own one of those seminal pieces above all else.

I'd rather have the cover art to Zap Comix 1 - which I heard from a reliabe source recently changed hands for $1 Million plus.