• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Basement room designs

69 posts in this topic

I'm sure you're all aware that I'm buying a house, and the close date is December 5th! I'm going to get some MLJ prints blown up and print them as artwork for the basement walls (of course I'll photoshop them to make them "perfect" first), along with some non-MLJ books. I really like books like Fantastic #3 and some Centaur covers.

So, which covers would you get blown up from the golden age era to be framed to decorate your basement?

I was thinking off the top of my head:

Pep Comics #20 or #22 or #29

Archie Comics #8

Top-Notch Comics #2

Zip Comics #3

Hit Comics #5

Fantastic Comics #3

Amazing-Man #5

Any other thoughts? What are your favorite covers of the golden age from any publisher?

(No Action #1's or Detective #27's please...I never want to see these covers again!)

I am not much of a GA collector, but I really do love the Mystic covers with the Destroyer. I also enjoy the the most of the Schomburg covers, from

Marvel Mystery. Although the nazi stuff might be a little much for most houses as decoration.

USA Comics 1, and some of the early Cap America books. All Select #1, some of the early Spectre appearances in More Fun, Green Lantern in All-American, Adventure Comics 79. There's tons....

Brian

Good call on some of those! However, I want to shy away from the "traditional" classic covers...if the book is in the top 10 list of most valuable golden age books, then I'm not interested. Also, having collected MLJ and the shield, no way will Captain America grace my walls...I'm not betraying the guy who came first!

Both Amazing-Man 5 and 6 are very nice covers. It'd be a tough choice.

You can find most of them in the Heritage archives. Btw, since there's like 50 volumes of Shadow comics. I'm talking about the one from 1940 or so.

Some more..

More Fun Comics 65

Marvel Mystery 5

Green Lantern 1 (1940)

Adventure Comics 40, 73

Nickel Comics 1

Top Notch 19

Strange Tales 27

Brian

There are a number of excellant Lou Fine covers besides the ones you had on your list.

From Fox, pick your favorite of the early Science's, Weird's or Mystery Men's.

Also Quality, a number of nice National's from issues 7 to 16, or Hit 11 or 17.

Then there is Bill Everett's Hydroman cover for Heroic 5.

Mac Raboy's Captain Marvel Jr. #4 is a great patriotic cover.

And a MLJ favorite of mine is Hangman #6 (but it is hard to beat some of those Pep covers).

And of course an assortment of Timely's and DC's, but I was trying to stay away from the covers you see over and over.

Hey Shield, How about Amazing Man # 22 "Super Green Nazi Gorilla Cover" and one of my personal faves Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol. 2 # 5 "classic Bill Everett cover" Check them out in the Gerber Books.I'm lucky to have both in my collection, the Amazing Mystery Funnies I searched a very long time to find.

Action #50

Superman #14

Adventure #79

Boy Commandos #1

Superman #24

Detective #31

Flash #31

Green Lantern #3

Real Life #3

Suspense #3

Suspense #8

Hit #3

Catman #28

Top Notch #5

Phantom Lady #17

Action #61

All Select #1

Marvel Mystery Comics #40

Young Allies #9

CA# 28

Human Torch #8

Sub-mariner #9

Startling Terror Tales #11

Silver Streak #6

nuff for ya?

Timely

How about Marvel Mystery # 44 "Super Plane Cover" ,Catman # 20 ,29, 31

Thanks Timely, for reminding me about those Catmans .What do you think Shield,the guys on the boards gave you enough covers? thumbsup2.gif

Thanks Timely, for reminding me about those Catmans .What do you think Shield,the guys on the boards gave you enough covers? thumbsup2.gif

Yes, for sure! I will print this thread out and go through them all! So far for sure it's going to be Fantastic Comics #3 and Zip Comics #3; hell I may just do a "robot" theme, and throw in Pep Comics #1, and some of those Smash Comics. I highly doubt you'll see any Superman or Batman on my walls as I'm looking for something completely different....

Thanks guys for all your suggestions! I must admit I've always had a "crush" on some of those early Marvel Mystery covers; I think the one where it shows the planned land invasion of NYC with the Nazis tunneling in will be up there. Timely, what issue is that one buddy?

Yes, for sure! I will print this thread out and go through them all! So far for sure it's going to be Fantastic Comics #3 and Zip Comics #3; hell I may just do a "robot" theme, and throw in Pep Comics #1, and some of those Smash Comics. I highly doubt you'll see any Superman or Batman on my walls as I'm looking for something completely different....

Thanks guys for all your suggestions! I must admit I've always had a "crush" on some of those early Marvel Mystery covers; I think the one where it shows the planned land invasion of NYC with the Nazis tunneling in will be up there. Timely, what issue is that one buddy?

If you are looking for a completely different robot cover, how about Super-Mystery V3#3. I just won this in today's Heritage auction (at least I think I won it).

This is Harvey Kurtzman's first comic book cover (Jan 1943) and this copy came from the Harvey Kurtzman estate. It has "Property of H Kurtzman" written on the back in Kurtzman's handwriting.

Not a high grade book, but a rather unique piece of comic book history.

super_mystery.jpg

All I can say is I'm so happy you guys are on these boards. Simply wonderful! What other robot covers you guys seen that are obscure?

Oddly enough, I got two comics in the Heritage auction. Another early Kurtzman back from his estate. And it's another robot cover! (Although the cover is not attributed to Kurtzman.)

It's a coincidence that it has a robot. I bought them as Kurtzman items and didn't bid any higher because of the robots. There were 5 early Kurtzman comics in the auction and these were the two that my internet bids held up on.

It's a book that I don't think I've ever seen before. I checked the CGC census last night. At an eye-popping 1.5, it's the highest (and only) graded copy. Woo Hoo!!!!!

four_favorites_9.jpg