• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unusual eBay auction--vintage Silver Surfer

9 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270290599294&indexURL=9&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Very unusual to have a large bunch of pages of this vintage offered as a group like this. Don't know if the reserve will turn out to be realistic, but I'm thinking this is not the best way to maximize the sellers potential return. Floating the pages out individually over time would have made more sense. Is this a "bad economy" dump?

And for the record, I'm not exactly a "bear" when it comes to the art market, but I AM (and always have been) cautious with what I spend money on.

Scott Williams

I was thinking they were all grouped together because many of them don't feature the SS or any other major players and he was hoping to get rid of them along with the pages that do.

But I know absolutely nothing about the Silver Age market, nor early Surfer stories, so my assumption could be completely off base.

I wouldn't call this a bad economy dump; but a naivete dump. After all, the story is already not complete, so there doesn't seem to be any intrinsic value in selling them as one lot..... cool pages though....... of course, I'm partial to this issue. DF

I wouldn't call this a bad economy dump; but a naivete dump. After all, the story is already not complete, so there doesn't seem to be any intrinsic value in selling them as one lot..... cool pages though....... of course, I'm partial to this issue. DF

A "naivete dump" might indeed be a better guess Dan. I went back and reread the description, and the seller talks about the notes from Buscema to Dan Adkins regarding "coloring". Just a hint that this might not a fully informed or savvy seller.

Scott Williams

While it may not be the best way to maximize profits, a high reserve auction does allow any seller to gauge market value even if their piece does not sell.

I love Buscema's Silver Surfer and these are some nice examples. Best of luck to the seller. It looks like he also has a surfer splash being auctioned off separately.

Cheers!

N

While it may not be the best way to maximize profits, a high reserve auction does allow any seller to gauge market value even if their piece does not sell.

Cheers!

N

I don't completely agree with the statement. Especially if the reserve is known or known to be high. What's the big deal with placing a bid, even at 25K+, if you know it won't hit reserve and you aren't obligated to buy?

It's a free thrill bid.

Malvin