• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigreed comics & The registry

30 posts in this topic

I feel Peds shouldn't get any higher designation than a like graded copy (think Ped with miswrap over a non Ped with perfect registration). However, I do feel that a book with a superior PQ should get 5 points or so higher than that of a book with the next lower PQ. (WP should get 5 points higher than OWW; OWW should get 5 points higher than OW and so forth.)

Just my opinion of course :grin:

i agree with this...it makes waiting for that right book pay off just that little bit more...

I like pedigree books as well. I didn't know what they were before joining these boards, but after having things explained and hearing some stories I was hooked. While I do not pay that HUGE premium for the highest graded or most desireable books, I do pay a little extra for the certificate or name on the slab. Pedigrees should get a bump IMO, but only if it is a superior copy. I also agree that books should be awarded more points for perfect centering, no miswrapp, or white pages. Unfortunately, the amount of work it would take the registry to update and decide all of these values it would be less then cost effective.

On the other hand I submit a similar arguement. If you do not want to change values for PQ, and centering, etc.. because it may alienate people and discourage use. Think about what the guy with the perfect centered 9.6 with white pages thinks when some miswrapped, cream paged book is awarded the same points? The argument does go both ways.

But regardless. I like pedigrees, I like perfect centering, and enjoy my registry sets. Even though the competition is as unhealthy as anything could be.

It's typically not the "someone" that creates the pedigree. It is that they are typically found in a preternaturally nice state of preservation. I am a Silver/Bronze guy and will take the Pepsi challenge that Winnipegs, Western Penns and Curators are so sharp that they deserve to be set apart from other high grade copies.

I have to say I do concur that Pedigrees should get a little bump in points in the registry compared to that of regular comics. How much I don't know nor care, but as prices paid demonstrate on purchasing any sort of Pedigree - they are valued more.

Like many collectibles: art, guns, cars, Faberge Eggs, certain jewelry, ect......in our society many people put more worth on certain items when they were owned or created by someone who was/is famous for something. In our Hobby, the famous people are these collectors who took wonderful care and preservation of their comics.

My 2 cents at least.

I apologize if this topic has been discussed elsewhere, but...

Can't you create an "owner" for each pedigree, (e.g. Pacific Coast, Oakland)

and then autogenerate sets under that owner containing books from that

pedigree? Just search all entries for all sets that are not obscured, auto enter

them, and save the sets. Ideally, the real owner of each issue would be noted,

and provisions must be made for multiple copies (or just select the highest

graded copy, use entry age for ties).

It would be really cool to see what score and sets "Pacific Coast" has, and

compare the the various ped sets/scores.

Slightly off-topic for this thread, but not too bad.

Pedigreed comics should get more recognition in the registry. Even if it was just an icon where the pic/description icons are hm

Pedigreed comics should get more recognition in the registry. Even if it was just an icon where the pic/description icons are hm

Or you could be like me and just have sets dedicated to pedigrees. I have a few sets that are only pedigrees. I just note in the title and specify which it is in the descriptions. I dont get any extra ponts, but I find those sets alot of fun to build, and I generally do this with titles I would not have normally sought out.

Daredevil, Defenders, Captain America, House Of Mystery (BA), and Batman (201-300) are all pedigree only sets.

Or you could be like me and just have sets dedicated to pedigrees. I have a few sets that are only pedigrees. I just note in the title and specify which it is in the descriptions. I dont get any extra ponts, but I find those sets alot of fun to build, and I generally do this with titles I would not have normally sought out.

Daredevil, Defenders, Captain America, House Of Mystery (BA), and Batman (201-300) are all pedigree only sets.

:whatev::baiting:

:whatev::baiting:
Be glad I let you have that TTA, otherwise I would be more aggressive with those.