• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are comic books well-suited for encapsulation?

42 posts in this topic

Coins and Baseball cards are very easy to encapsulate. Their structure is simple and

not that sensitive to motion. I have never seen a PSA graded card damaged in transit

(unless the slab itself was crushed).

The motivation for encapsulating comics is sound just like the other types of collectibles.

But I don't think CGC anticipated how much more difficult encapsulating comics would be.

We've discussed the flaws in the CGC holders at length. The original slab design

with the inner well allows for overhang edge damage. I initially thought the new slab

design was a vast improvement, but have now seen several instances where the

book is separating very minutely from the cover. This is due to the cover being

immobilized completely by the slab and the insides of the book being jarred. So this

slab is flawed as well.

It's beginning to seem like the only solution is to duplicate an actual mylar as closely

as possible. Which means allow some movement of the book within the slab, which will

be slowed by the tapering if the book gets close enough to the edges. I know the book

not being parallel to the slab edges would drive the anal retentive batty, but I just don't

see any other way to avoid SCS going forward. People don't talk about it that much,

but for anyone who is really scrutinizing the slabbed books they receive via mail,

this is a very real and continuing problem that needs to be addressed for people

to be able to order high $$ books via mail confidently.

Maybe comics just weren't meant to be encapsulated (shrug)

I was just looking at the "just back from CGC" thread....and it looks like the newest

arrivals have the old-style inner well again. Am I mistaken? What gives?

Both are in use at the moment.....

How does it work? Does the submitter request the type of holder he wants used?

I was just looking at the "just back from CGC" thread....and it looks like the newest

arrivals have the old-style inner well again. Am I mistaken? What gives?

Both are in use at the moment.....

How does it work? Does the submitter request the type of holder he wants used?

I believe it was originally seperated by date of publication. Post-'75 books got the new inner well, and pre-'75 got the old one.

I believe it is now a judgement call by CGC as to which books get what....

Has anyone taken the time to see how they feel about it?

I asked my comics and they just looked at me like I was stupid. I interpreted their silence to be indifference to the issue.

Funny post! (thumbs u

v8Y1VvbEma2efk3vWvg3NmQm_400.gif

Coins and Baseball cards are very easy to encapsulate. Their structure is simple and

not that sensitive to motion. I have never seen a PSA graded card damaged in transit

(unless the slab itself was crushed).

The motivation for encapsulating comics is sound just like the other types of collectibles.

But I don't think CGC anticipated how much more difficult encapsulating comics would be.

We've discussed the flaws in the CGC holders at length. The original slab design

with the inner well allows for overhang edge damage. I initially thought the new slab

design was a vast improvement, but have now seen several instances where the

book is separating very minutely from the cover. This is due to the cover being

immobilized completely by the slab and the insides of the book being jarred. So this

slab is flawed as well.

It's beginning to seem like the only solution is to duplicate an actual mylar as closely

as possible. Which means allow some movement of the book within the slab, which will

be slowed by the tapering if the book gets close enough to the edges. I know the book

not being parallel to the slab edges would drive the anal retentive batty, but I just don't

see any other way to avoid SCS going forward. People don't talk about it that much,

but for anyone who is really scrutinizing the slabbed books they receive via mail,

this is a very real and continuing problem that needs to be addressed for people

to be able to order high $$ books via mail confidently.

:o

Maybe comics just weren't meant to be encapsulated...

You're right...they weren't.

:news: Comics were meant to be sold for cover price, read, and then thrown out by your mom when you were in the Army or in college.

Same basic principle for coins (meant to be spent on comics and penny candy, or hoarded in big glass jars by old people) and baseball cards (meant to be sold in wax paper with tasting hard gum, traded, rubber-banded together, and/or stuck in bicycle spokes).

That's not to say that they can't or shouldn't be safely encapsulated. But "meant to be..."? Nope...

Maybe comics just weren't meant to be encapsulated...

You're right...they weren't.

:news: Comics were meant to be sold for cover price, read, and then thrown out by your mom when you were in the Army or in college.

Same basic principle for coins (meant to be spent on comics and penny candy, or hoarded in big glass jars by old people) and baseball cards (meant to be sold in wax paper with tasting hard gum, traded, rubber-banded together, and/or stuck in bicycle spokes).

That's not to say that they can't or shouldn't be safely encapsulated. But "meant to be..."? Nope...

"Safely encapsulated" being the key factor.

What I find most interesting about encapsulation is that at it transforms an item designed to be held and read into an item just to be looked at. I could see why some people would dislike it.

Sure....but it's not like one can't just crack the slab open & read it. Encapsulation is reversible. The damage caused by encapsulation on the other hand....

What I find most interesting about encapsulation is that at it transforms an item designed to be held and read into an item just to be looked at. I could see why some people would dislike it.

Sure....but it's not like one can't just crack the slab open & read it. Encapsulation is reversible. The damage caused by encapsulation on the other hand....

Can easily be fixed by a quick pressing!!! :banana:

:boo:

This might be reversible.....

IFSCSA.jpg

..but what about books encased with the new inner well? Are tears at the staples reversible?

For those that have not been here long...when Steve Borock was prez. he challenged anyone to come up with a better slab design. He said CGC would pay handsomely for it. Not sure if this applies now but I'm betting if someone has a design it will be worth money.

If slabs are:

1) handled carefully

2) packaged properly (cardboard sandwich, lots of stryophoam peanuts surrounding)

3) opened carefully

You will eliminate 99% of problems.

Thing is many people assume the comic is not indesctructable in a slab. I had a guy mail me a slabbed hi grade SA Marvel key worth $1000 in just a yellow padded envelope!!

Common sense will keep your comics safe whether slabbed or not.

There is nothing you can do against the remaining 1% as nothing or nobody here is perfect.

R.

doh!