• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I often wonder how many 9.0 or lower graded books...

39 posts in this topic

were sent in by someone who thought they had a NM book?

Although I've started to buy some GA and early SA books, most of what I buy are BA books. I often wonder as I'm cracking open a 7.5, 8.0, or 8.5 slabbed BA book, if the person who sent it in for grading thought they had a NM comic. I would think (excluding keys & GA) that quite a few books sent in for grading, especially late SA - Modern are sent in by someone who thinks their book is NM. I think I'm probably buying someone's disappointment when I purchase that 7.5 copy of HOS 91, or whatever the book may be.

This might be a non-topic, but I was just thinking about it the other night and thought I'd bring it up here to see if anyone else had any thoughts.

I am responsible for two or three dozen from my early slabbing days. :cry: So are most of these bozos, but they've been doing it longer so they forget. I still get at least one turd per 30 book sub minimum.

My worst of all time is a Luke Cage #1 that I thought was 8.5 or so came back 5.0. It was a typical front cover grade job that i had done in the eighties. Marked it VF/VF+ and didn't re-grade it before I sent it in. Missed that giant water stain that soaked the back cover and last 5 pages. :screwy:

I'm sure some people have slabbed their childhood books just to have a preserved memory. I would love to have two or three books from back then. :(

Hmmm, that's something I hadn't considered. But for me, it's something I should've thought of.

I'm sure some people have slabbed their childhood books just to have a preserved memory. I would love to have two or three books from back then. :(

Yeah, I think that is probably true too. I would give almost anything to get back a few of the comics that I sold to my LCS 20 years ago. Even though none of them were high grade (probably VF's at best) it would have been nice to preserve a few of those books I bought off the rack at 7-11. :cloud9:

My first submission was actually to PGX, not CGC. doh!

I bought an ASM collection from #6 to #400 complete, and sent 100 of them to pre-screen. Only 30 of them passed the pre-screen.... 70 of them failed.

Fortunately I did not have to pay the slab costs on the 70 failures. But it is obvious I had higher expectations when I sent them 100 comics.

Also in that batch was a Detective #413 (Adams) that I was sure would be 9.2/9.4 but it came back an 8.0 and I never could figure out why.