• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show Off Your Pleasantly Surprised...

73 posts in this topic

So, do you guys disclose the fact that you think these are "gift grades" when you sell?

:signfunny:

Well, most people feel the need to point out when CGC was too strict on a book, so I assumed they'd be just as eager to point out a gift grade. Is there any reason not to?

:angel:

I can see an eBay listing stating "The CGC holder says 9.4 but this book is barely a 9.0"

hm

I have two 10s, but I have never subbed one myself. Of the 1,000,000 plus books subbed, I wonder how many are 10s?

There's no such thing as a "10"

Yes, there is.

How can you prove that?

I have two 10s, but I have never subbed one myself. Of the 1,000,000 plus books subbed, I wonder how many are 10s?

There's no such thing as a "10"...in comic books, sports cards, coins or especially, women. No such thing...it's all in your (or someone else's) mind. Think hard about it. Nothing is perfect. Mint is a candy.

Apparently you missed the post we I stated that I thought that 9.9s and 10s were gift grades. hm

And you're right; nothing in this world is perfect, just forgiven. :angel:

There's no such thing as a "10"

Yes, there is.

How can you prove that?

I own one. Doc owns two. jespersen probably has had 10. I'm not arguing that they are perfect. But they are Gem Mint 10s because CGC said so. I turned down $135 for a turd of a book like Batman:The Cult #1 because I couldn't give up my only 10.

I just got my grades from my last sub. There are a few surprises in there. I'm picking them up at WWTx...

Amazing Adventures 1 my grade 9.4 CGC 9.6 w :grin:

Amazing Adventures 2... my grade 9.0, CGC 9.2 w

Amazing Adventures 3... my grade 9.0, CGC 9.0 w

Amazing Adventures 5... my grade 9.4, CGC 9.4 w

Amazing Adventures 7a... my grade 9.4, CGC 9.8 w :o

Amazing Adventures 7b... my grade 9.4, CGC 9.4 ow/w

Amazing Adventures 11... my grade 9.4, CGC 9.4 w

Amazing Spider-Man 238 (double cover)... my grade 9.8, CGC 9.8 w :o

Amazing Spider-Man 275... my grade 9.8, CGC 9.8 w

Astonishing Tales 1... my grade 9.4, CGC 9.6 w :grin:

Astonishing Tales 3... my grade 9.4, CGC 9.4 w

Astonishing Tales 4... my grade 9.4, CGC 9.2 ow/w

Astonishing Tales 6... my grade 9.4, CGC 9.4 w

Astonishing Tales 7... my grade 9.0-9.2, CGC 9.0 w

Astonishing Tales 8... my grade 9.4, CGC 9.4 w

Avengers 58... my grade 9.4, CGC 9.6, ow/w :grin:

Conan 275... my grade 9.4, CGC 9.0 w :sorry:

Fantastic Four 104... my grade 9.2, CGC 9.2 ow/w

Fear 25... my grade 9.4, CGC 9.4 ow/w

Kull 10... my grade 9.4-9.6, CGC 9.2 ow/w - had some slight production chipping on the back cover so that probably hammered it.

Machine Man 1... my grade 9.8, CGC 9.8 ow/w

Sub-Mariner #7... my grade 9.2, CGC 9.6 cow :o (NM from Chuckles)

Tales Of Suspense #88... my grade 9.2, CGC 9.2 ow/w

Weird War Tales #1... my grade 9.0, CGC 9.0 cow

X-Men 93... my grade 9.4... CGC 9.4 w

There's no such thing as a "10"...in comic books, sports cards, coins or especially, women. No such thing...it's all in your (or someone else's) mind. Think hard about it. Nothing is perfect. Mint is a candy.

I received several 9.9's, they all deserved their grades. I had countless 9.8's that were better than just strong 9.8's. I think it's in CGC best interest not to give to many 9.9/10.0's anyways.

Also, let's say you really have a 10.0. After the book is graded by the finalizer, then someone else must handle it, let alone go through slabbing. Chances are it's not the same 10.0 that the finalizer gave it.

Also, let's say you really have a 10.0. After the book is graded by the finalizer, then someone else must handle it, let alone go through slabbing. Chances are it's not the same 10.0 that the finalizer gave it.

The Finalizer - sounds like a new show for CBS. Don Johnson could star. hm

:acclaim:

batman251031.jpg

Looks like a tight pancake that was once a 9.0 or so.

You are batting 0% so far,

Try again.

Bought raw from a forumite and send it in hoping for a 9.2 :popcorn:

Apparently you missed the post we I stated that I thought that 9.9s and 10s were gift grades. hm

And you're right; nothing in this world is perfect, just forgiven. :angel:

Wiser words have never been spoken, my dear Watson, and of course my statement was made with tongue firmly planted in cheek...or is that "fingers tucked firmly under keyboard" :)

:acclaim:

batman251031.jpg

Looks like a tight pancake that was once a 9.0 or so.

You really dont know sh it from shineola do you?

woa.....I never said one can detect from a scan.

the book looks flat though, and with that many visible stress marks, I would assume it must be a real slick and tight copy to make up for the flaws.

Take it easy chippy.

Plus if Nik said he was expecting a 9.2, my 9.0 assessment is more on the mark than a 9.6 it ended up getting ?

I never said it was previously in a slab either.