• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Battestar Galactica on SciFi channel

88 posts in this topic

First Season:

Miniseries - Part 1

Miniseries - Part 2

Ep101 - "33"

Ep102 - "Water"

Ep103 - "Bastille Day"

Ep104 - "Act of Contrition"

Ep105 - "....Home Again"

Ep106 - "Litmus"

Ep107 - "Six Degrees...."

Ep108 - "Flesh and Bone"

Ep108 - "Tigh Me Up..."

Ep110 - "Hand of God"

Ep111 - "Colonial Day"

Ep112 - "Kobol's Last..,1"

Ep113 - "Kobol's Last..,2"

Sheesh. Tivo failed me on that one. I've now seen a few repeats from last season and the season premiere that just aired. Is there a DVD that includes the miniseries and first 13 eps?

First Season:

Miniseries - Part 1

Miniseries - Part 2

Ep101 - "33"

Ep102 - "Water"

Ep103 - "Bastille Day"

Ep105 - "....Home Again"

Ep106 - "Litmus"

Ep108 - "Flesh and Bone"

Ep108 - "Tigh Me Up..."

Ep110 - "Hand of God"

Ep111 - "Colonial Day"

Sheesh. Tivo failed me on that one. I've now seen a few repeats from last season and the season premiere that just aired. Is there a DVD that includes the miniseries and first 13 eps?

You can rent the 2003 miniseries DVD from Netflix. If you haven't seen it yet, RENT IT NOW. I was absolutely blown away when I watched it. 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

First Season:

Miniseries - Part 1

Miniseries - Part 2

Ep101 - "33"

Ep102 - "Water"

Ep103 - "Bastille Day"

Ep105 - "....Home Again"

Ep106 - "Litmus"

Ep108 - "Flesh and Bone"

Ep108 - "Tigh Me Up..."

Ep110 - "Hand of God"

Ep111 - "Colonial Day"

You can rent the 2003 miniseries DVD from Netflix. If you haven't seen it yet, RENT IT NOW. I was absolutely blown away when I watched it. 893whatthe.gifhail.gif

B00064AFBE.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

After the first season, I really did change my view of the series. It is definately a must-watch show. Although I have to distance it form the original series.

I like the show (despite its many faults), but it's not "Battlestar Galactica". It's different enough that I think they should have started from scratch - new title, new character names, etc.

Head-to-head, though, I have to say that I think the original series was better (I recently watched about half of the original episodes on DVD, so it is very fresh in my mind). Was it as edgy and original as the new series? No, of course not. But, then again, the new series is a derivative of the classic 1978 series. The new series is clearly done on a very tight budget...the special effects are sparse, the battle scenes nearly non-existent, the Cylons look human (much cheaper to film) and the costumes and sets are extremely weak (I love how the President's sidekick looks like he shops at the local Banana Republic). Worst of all, though, is that all the characters act so grim all the time that they lack any distinguishing personality characteristics. Even though the characters from the original series all were easily definable (the responsible son Apollo, his wild, ladies' man buddy Starbuck, the grandfatherly Adama, the stern Colonel Tigh, etc.), they were also very memorable. Sadly, none of the actors in this series have been able to really distinguish themselves because they are wincing and grimacing all the time.

That said, the new series does take a lot of chances and makes the most of its budget limitations. The stories are generally good and the grim tone is reflective of the post-9/11 zeitgeist. I enjoy watching it, but frame-for-frame, I'll take the wry humor, epic ambition and shoot 'em up action of the original series any day.

The new series is clearly done on a very tight budget...the special effects are sparse, the battle scenes nearly non-existent, the Cylons look human (much cheaper to film) and the costumes and sets are extremely weak (I love how the President's sidekick looks like he shops at the local Banana Republic). Worst of all, though, is that all the characters act so grim all the time that they lack any distinguishing personality characteristics.

Considering that their population just experienced a genocide, I'm wondering what their appropriate emotional state should be. They are the last 50,000 people or so of their civilization. The first few episodes take place over a period of days and weeks immediately following their near total annihilation. They're not on the offensive and are basically running from a superior force all the while realizing that there are probably already Cylon spies within their own ranks.

In addition, the only reason this particular Battlestar survives is because it does not have the sophisticated networked computers and/or technology (including the fighters) that can be incapacitated by the Cylons.

This is, or course, in contrast to the original series pilot that features a pleasure resort they visit after fleeing the destruction of their 12 colonies... tongue.gif

I'm never quite sure what to say or think about fanboy reaction to any given comic, movie, TV show, book, or entertainment media of any kind. It's as if they wrap up their entire identity in their chosen form of recreation, and therefore any expression other than unflinching adoration is an attack against them personally.

How dare those people boo Ron Moore? What kind of pathetic loser organizes a popcorn-throwing? What are they, 3 years old? I cannot comprehend the immaturity and irrationality of original BG fans getting so offended because someone decided to make to new BG show that isn't as stupid and goofy as the one they remember watching 25 years ago, when they were children.

A plea to all fanboys everywhere: Get a life, get a girlfriend, get a hobby, whatever it takes to construct an identity that isn't so fragile as to be unable to withstand the feather blow of your favored bit of childhood fiction undergoing a treatment not to your specifications.

If no one has said it before let me be the first... This is not Battlestar Galactica. It's Ultimate Battlestar Galactica.

Maybe Bendis is ghost writing it. screwy.gif

the first series was good for when i was 8 years old and watching it.

this one is good for me now that i'm a 30something.

my wife and I diligently watch every new episode on Friday or DVR it and watch it over the weekend. it's one of the few shows we do this with. i think it's pretty darn good. yeah, a little grim, but under the circumstances, realistic

the first series was good for when i was 8 years old and watching it.

this one is good for me now that i'm a 30something.

Ditto.

i think it's pretty darn good. yeah, a little grim, but under the circumstances, realistic

Ditto, again.

Who caught last nights episode?

What did you think of Lucy Lawless? Especially the ending. Wow!

i thought it was the best of the season....the starting arc over the first 6 eps or so....really didn't do much for me.

love lucy lawless and the ending was great.

wasn't really expecting it.

This show is by far the best and quickest 1 hour drama on TV. Not since Space: Above and Beyond, have I enjoyed a Sci-Fi more. I was a fan of the original back in the day and this redux is outstanding. If you haven't watched it yet, get the DVD, catch up, and enjoy.

I'm out

Later

BSG is amazing, and this was a particularly great episode. One thing that drives me nuts, however, are all the 21st century props, clothing and set decorations. I don't think they should all run around in spandex like on Star Trek: The Next Generation, but as a viewer it pulls me out of their world rather than drawing me into it. frustrated.gif

BSG is amazing, and this was a particularly great episode. One thing that drives me nuts, however, are all the 21st centuy props, clothing, and set decorations. I don't think they should all run around in spandex like on Star Trek: The Next Generation, but as a viewer it pulls me out of their world rather than drawing me into it. frustrated.gif

Good point Jimm. Although it doesn't really matter to me costumes or props in how they affect the show for me.

You would think they would design things a little differently. I mean we as a society dress differently than we did 50 years ago or earlier. Many of the items we use are different in appearance. Yet on BSG many items and clothing are the same that we would use today.

I want to see more of the Cylon space battles, seems like they got away from that a bit.