• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Battestar Galactica on SciFi channel

88 posts in this topic

Agreed. I think the designs and lack of space battles may be a deliberate side effect of what has made the show so popular. It's brilliant science fiction that isn't written or presented like stereotypical film/tv sci-fi.

It's understandable from a cost pov to eliminate the space scenes and Cylon scenes. CGI drives up cost without adding to the story. Like last nights episode. The space battle was done via voice over only. The effect was the same as showing the battle. The viewer was able to understand what was going, yet the didn't have to show a single space shot to accomplish this.

Like you say though, will viewers respond well to this over a given period. I know for myself the massive space battle were reminiscent of Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back space battles.

i thought it was the best of the season....the starting arc over the first 6 eps or so....really didn't do much for me.

Funny. I've liked every episode until this one.

I thought it seemed rather unrealistic that none of the characters would attempt to temper their words with each other when they knew they had a news reporter's camera shoved in their faces. Pretty much every character made some rather damning statements without concerning themselves of the consequences.

Am I alone here?

That being said, Lucy Lawless is a nice addition to the cast.

It's understandable from a cost pov to eliminate the space scenes and Cylon scenes. CGI drives up cost without adding to the story. Like last nights episode. The space battle was done via voice over only. The effect was the same as showing the battle. The viewer was able to understand what was going, yet the didn't have to show a single space shot to accomplish this.

I'm not convinced, actually, that there *was* a space battle. While watching it I was thinking that Adama and his officers were staging it for the journalists' benefit. "See, this is what we have to go through on a regular basis." I found it convenient that there were only a couple of Cylon raiders and that all the colonial pilots made it back without a scratch. Why would the Cylons bother?

I, too, was considering this one of the weaker episodes of the season....until that ending! Totally blew me away. This show rocks.

I'm not convinced, actually, that there *was* a space battle. While watching it I was thinking that Adama and his officers were staging it for the journalists' benefit. "See, this is what we have to go through on a regular basis." I found it convenient that there were only a couple of Cylon raiders and that all the colonial pilots made it back without a scratch. Why would the Cylons bother?

I, too, was considering this one of the weaker episodes of the season....until that ending! Totally blew me away. This show rocks.

The part at the end of the episode where the cylons commented on having to sacrifice two cylon raiders tells us that the space battle actually happened. confused-smiley-013.gif

Like you say though, will viewers respond well to this over a given period. I know for myself the massive space battle were reminiscent of Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back space battles.

The best part of si-fi shows are always the space battles. Unfortunately, there are usually very few of them because they are so much more expensive to produce. I thought CGI had made it more cost effective to produce space battles and was one of the reasons why shows like Babylon 5 was able to come in at less than $1 million per episode while the Trek shows were coming in at a cost of a few million dollars per episode.

Surprising since B5 was really all about space wars and space battles while the Trek shows tended to stay away from this and focused more on personalities and interpersonal relationships. B5 was much more of a continuous space opera spanning both the beginning of time and the ends of the universe, whereas Star Trek always seem much more limited due to it's single episodic stories. The only exception to this was the last 6 or 7 episodes of DS9 which was one continuous space war storyline a la Babylon 5.

Although many si-fi fans preferred the Star Trek type of storylines, for me the writing in Babylon 5 was far superior since it was really one continuous galactic storyline with strong characterization combined with spectacular space battles. thumbsup2.gif

Although many si-fi fans preferred the Star Trek type of storylines, for me the writing in Babylon 5 was far superior since it was really one continuous galactic storyline with strong characterization combined with spectacular space battles. thumbsup2.gif

I have to agree; I am far more a fan of the B5 long story-arc-storytelling than the more typically episodic, don't-really-need-to-watch-it-next-week style of television. Babylon 5 is probably my favorite sci-fi show ever, but I haven't seen anything from the new Battlestar Galactica yet.

Though that's about to change. I've had a $60 gift certificate to Best Buy burning a hole in my pocket for many months; and I plan to use it later today and pick up the BG mini and first season... yay.gif

yeah, shrunkenhead, you'll find out that there are lots 'n lots of cyclons roaming around.

Ok, fair enough. 27_laughing.gif Thought you pulled a "Bruce Willis is dead" on me.

893censored-thumb.giffrustrated.gif AARRGGHH!! Thanks for the spoiler. poke2.gif

seriously, my wife is convinced that it will ultimately be revealed that adama is a cylon

Would make for an interesting premise. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Lorne Greene was kinda built like a ceylon. wink.gif

I probably won't start watching the new series for about a week, as I want to watch it with my wife and we're currently about 2/3rds of the way through one of my favorite shows ever of any genre, The Prisoner. They just don't write TV like that anymore!

OK...I purposely stayed away from this thread because I didn't want anything to spoiled since I wasn't in the States when Season 2 started. I did catch a couple of episodes a couple of weeks ago (Starbuck and Sharon/Helo's return and all finding the temple).

My question is this...should I start watching the rest of the episodes (I have 4 of the first 5 on tape and someone is taping the rest for me) or wait until this season is over and watch from the beginning. I know the 1st season should be watched in order. Should I do the same again with this season or does it matter?

By the way...I didn't think the two episodes I watched spoiled anything I would see in the first 5 other than finding out about Sharon 1's fate...but I enjoyed them tremendously...

Jim

OK...I purposely stayed away from this thread because I didn't want anything to spoiled since I wasn't in the States when Season 2 started. I did catch a couple of episodes a couple of weeks ago (Starbuck and Sharon/Helo's return and all finding the temple).

My question is this...should I start watching the rest of the episodes (I have 4 of the first 5 on tape and someone is taping the rest for me) or wait until this season is over and watch from the beginning. I know the 1st season should be watched in order. Should I do the same again with this season or does it matter?

By the way...I didn't think the two episodes I watched spoiled anything I would see in the first 5 other than finding out about Sharon 1's fate...but I enjoyed them tremendously...

Jim

after tonite, i believe there are only 2 eps left and then they go on mid-season break....so you could probably watch them all in reruns mondays and fridays without worry of tapes.

or...if you can get them all taped, you'll be up to date for when they return in january.