• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it worth it to CGC low to mid grade Silver Age keys?

14 posts in this topic

I have books like ASM 20, ASM 15, and GL/GA 76 all in about Fine condition. Is it worth it to send these books in?

First question, are they keepers or for sale ? If you are going to sell it is probably better to slab for the restoration check. If they grade out at what you thought you will do marginally better selling it as a slab.

If they are keepers I would not bother slabbing them.

If your going to sell them. I would say have them slabbed. You will have a assigned grade and a restoration check done. Buyers want this type of assurance these days. They will usually pay a little more for this as well. If there in your personal collection. I would leave them raw. Unless of course you worried about possible restoration.

If your going to sell them. I would say have them slabbed. You will have a assigned grade and a restoration check done. Buyers want this type of assurance these days. They will usually pay a little more for this as well. If there in your personal collection. I would leave them raw. Unless of course you worried about possible restoration.

Other than amateur color touch (and *maybe* trimming), those books he's describing are not going to be restored if they're in low- or mid-grade condition. Amateur color touch is easily spotted and most buyers won't pay more for a CGC certified grade or restoration check in low or mid-grade. In my opinion, it is a waste of money to get books like ASM15, ASM20, or GL 76 slabbed at any grade below 8.5 for the ASMs and 9.2/9.4 for the GL. He'd be better off selling them with large, clear scans, realistic grades, and a good return policy.

Other than amateur color touch (and *maybe* trimming), those books he's describing are not going to be restored if they're in low- or mid-grade condition. Amateur color touch is easily spotted and most buyers won't pay more for a CGC certified grade or restoration check in low or mid-grade. In my opinion, it is a waste of money to get books like ASM15, ASM20, or GL 76 slabbed at any grade below 8.5 for the ASMs and 9.2/9.4 for the GL. He'd be better off selling them with large, clear scans, realistic grades, and a good return policy.

^^

Assuming you're looking to sell on Ebay, if you sell regularly and have an established bidder network then I would say not worth it. If you don't have a lot of history selling on Ebay then slabbing might make sense for you. I only occasionally sell on Ebay and couldn't get $40 for a raw FF #20 in VG+... got it slabbed and it sold for $85.

I only occasionally sell on Ebay and couldn't get $40 for a raw FF #20 in VG+... got it slabbed and it sold for $85.

wouldn't this equate to about the same considering you had to pay to get the book slabbed + shipping both ways ?

I only occasionally sell on Ebay and couldn't get $40 for a raw FF #20 in VG+... got it slabbed and it sold for $85.

wouldn't this equate to about the same considering you had to pay to get the book slabbed + shipping both ways ?

Not really... the spread is $45 in my example above... the book was sent in as a "value" submission with 29 other books and so the average cost per book was about $23. Also, note that the raw book DIDN'T SELL at $40 meaning the spread was probably larger than $45.