• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Silver Age 9.9!

51 posts in this topic

Definitely for just the fact of better eye appeal, the obvious choice is the non-translucent.

Then I would argue it's a defect!

But then again, if Mr.Borock says theyre exactly the same grade, who are either of us to tell our overlord that theres a huge difference. insane.gif

Human beings with aesthetic taste. Overstreet and Borock aren't perfect! And neither is my method for measuring translucency...it's biased for me to judge books with the white microchamber paper enhancing the translucency effect, but I can't help it! That's how they're presented; wish they'd ask the manufacturer to make some gray or black microchamber paper.

the tranfer staining /translucency defect is the one major flaw on many of the pac coast books on both front and back covers

i beleive this was due to they way they were stored, in vertical stacks and obviously paper quality and environment had sometihng to do with it as the church books were stored the same way but dont suffer from transfer staining

its hard to believe the 9.8 curator xmen 1 is structurally nicer than the pac coast xmen 1, i would bet the curator xmen 1 has a whiter cover with less transfer staining

anyone got a scan??

That Tales of Suspense #47 is a beaut! It also holds a lot of nostalgia for me as it's the first Suspense I ever bought and looks just like the copy I plucked off the newstand way back when. cloud9.gif

Translucency is caused by the oil in the inks as Tracy Heft says. Some copies will look worse depending on the storage environment. I suspect you don't see this translucency in most Golden Age books because different inks were used back then. In fact, it seems it's mostly early Marvels that have this problem. I don't see too many DC's from the same time period (or other companies) with this problem.

Hi Doc: You are correct. There are two copies of Xmen 1 9.6 Pacific Coast copies. The copy not pictured on the CGC site is a 9.6 with White Pages. I owned that copy and held it side by side with the Curator 9.8. The cover on the Curator is White and the green inks are somewhat different. The Pac Coast copy has the translucent cover but I think it structually is a better book.

Best, Tom

Let me ask you ff, is that X-Men #1 yours? How many translucent cover books do you personally own?

cool.gif

The X-Men #1 isn't mine, I got the scan from the CGC Gallery. They took it down about a month after the first time I posted it here as an example of how bad translucency can be. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifshocked.gifblush.gif

I've got a few translucent raw books...my X-Men #8 is a bit translucent. The only slabbed one I can remember off-hand is my Spidey 300--it's translucent in the middle circle behind the swinging Spidey. I'm sure it wouldn't look that way without the microchamber paper.

I just looked over most of my Silver age comics, and I don't have any translucent copies I could find besides raw copies of X-Men 8 and 10. It's only the light-colored issues which exhibit this defect, and I do recall there are a bunch of issues in the titles I collect that are very often translucent that I passed a lot of copies over for to find one that didn't display that defect. Examples of issues which often display it that took me a while to find good ones for include X-Men 1, FF 10, 17, 26, 28, and 44, Spidey 8, 10, 16, 19, 21, 23 thru 26 (poor production quality in general on this run), 29, 31, 34, 36, 38, 45, and 47.

Out of all these, the two issues I see translucency on the most are X-Men 1 and Spidey 24. I dunno why I've seen so many translucent copies of those two, or whether the copies I've seen are at all representative of the greater population out there.

Definitely for just the fact of better eye appeal, the obvious choice is the non-translucent.

Then I would argue it's a defect!

But then again, if Mr.Borock says theyre exactly the same grade, who are either of us to tell our overlord that theres a huge difference. insane.gif

I for one agree that translucency is off-putting. Given the choice, I'd always pick the book with less translucency.

Thing! #16 is a great example of a book that frequently exhibits a high degree of translucency. This might be due in part to the fact that many of the HG copies came from a single source (warehouse find), and therefore shared similar storage conditions in addition to identical materials...?

We need a new index: the TranslucencyScale...!

Is there a reason the microchamber paper that CGC inserts is placed between the first page and the cover? Seems like it would cut down on the translucency effect considerably if it was place a bit further inside the book...also seems to me that putting somewhere other than betweent the inside cover and the first page would reduce the possibility of the mc paper in any way affecting the structural integrity of the book. With the mc paper up against the actual cover, might there be more chance of a staple pull or the beginnings of one, if during shipping the mc paper is impacting the front inside cover at all...?

Is there a reason the microchamber paper that CGC inserts is placed between the first page and the cover?

They're probably placed where they are to reduce further oil transfer from the interior. It's serving its function but highlighting a little bit of ugliness.

Is that a small ding on the upper left hand corner?

inquiring minds would like to know................

Looks like it might be! What a crock, I'd ditch this copy and wait for a 10.0 if it were mine. devil.gif

Didn't we already determine a while back that the microfiber paper placed in between the cover and the first page contributes to most of the translucency? It doesn't really both me much unless the cover is totally transparent. tongue.gif

Brian

Do books with better page quality also tend to have a little more translucency?

I have some Jokers with great page quality and a lot of them have it. They may have all come from the same collection and it happened because of the way it was stored. But I figured the issues interior pages would have been effected negatively the conditions that cause translucency.

That's a FASCINATING comparative picture, thanks for posting it! Maybe the amount of ink applied to the first page makes the most difference...wish Mr. Pressman, DiceX, was still around, I'd love to hear his take on how much or how little ink is applied during different parts of a print run.