• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pick the winners and losers in Heritage's Auction

25 posts in this topic

I just saw this one in my catalog. Winner means over guide, loser means under guide, and sleeper means could go over guide. My picks are

Winner

Batman 1, pretty clean copy, should go for over guide

All the amazing Disney

Marvel Mystery 7, 8.0 with OW/W pages, just plan sweet.

Marvel Mystery 11, 14, 15, 16, 37, 48 jut too nice

Archie 1, nice looking.

Loser

Advenure 48, cool cover but at almost $19k guide ...

All American 19, Atom ???

All Flash 1, need I say more

Detective 225, I always think this one is over-valued in the guide, but 9.2 ...

Famous Funnies, just not a ton of interest

Green Lantern 1, same as All Flash 1

New Book of Fun, limited appeal

Pep 1, 9.0 I just never see much interest

Special Edition 1, 8.5 another book that seems to get no love

Sleepers (may hit a high price)

Detective 8, 9.0 unrestored!

The Disney Uber-grades will sparkle...FC 9,29, Phantom Blot,WDCS 1, etc....The Lou Fine OA looks interesting, especially the cover to National 11.Tec 156 will fetch major coin for the grade....as will Mad 1 and More Fun 54. Vancouver copies of Boy Commandos 1,Namora 1, and Witness 1 may fail to meet the reserves,although they are three VERY cool books.The Neal Adams Batcave page from # 232 is interesting and the Frazetta page from Heroic 87 will make someone VERY happy for a reasonable price.The complete Mooney story from Batman 56 is mind boggling...as is the Sprang cover recreation to Detective 118.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

The Disney Uber-grades will sparkle...FC 9,29, Phantom Blot,WDCS 1, etc....The Lou Fine OA looks interesting, especially the cover to National 11.Tec 156 will fetch major coin for the grade....as will Mad 1 and More Fun 54. Vancouver copies of Boy Commandos 1,Namora 1, and Witness 1 may fail to meet the reserves,although they are three VERY cool books.The Neal Adams Batcave page form # 232 is interesting and the Frazetta page from Heroic 87 will make someone VERY happy for a reasonable price.The complete Mooney story from Batman 56 is mind boggling...as is the Sprang cover recreation to Detective 118.GOD BLESS...

:gossip: I didn't mention the Batman 56 artwork for a reason (tsk):baiting:

BTW, I think your picks are spot on!

I'd love to have a page from an early 50's Bat story.....but way out of my league. Still,they can be had for realistic money, considering there scarcity. I'd like that 'Tec 156...but I bet it breaks 2K. My old lady would put me in the hospital lol .GOD BLESS...

Loser

All Flash 1, need I say more

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

This copy is not mine but I did consign my CGC 8.0 to Heritage one or two auctions ago. Didn't meet reserve, which was $7,000.00. That is below what I paid for it in 2004 from Heritage!!!! I was offered $5,500.00 or so after the auction but declined.

This book gets absolutely no love. :frustrated:

The Disney Uber-grades will sparkle...FC 9,29, Phantom Blot,WDCS 1, etc....The Lou Fine OA looks interesting, especially the cover to National 11.Tec 156 will fetch major coin for the grade....as will Mad 1 and More Fun 54. Vancouver copies of Boy Commandos 1,Namora 1, and Witness 1 may fail to meet the reserves,although they are three VERY cool books.The Neal Adams Batcave page form # 232 is interesting and the Frazetta page from Heroic 87 will make someone VERY happy for a reasonable price.The complete Mooney story from Batman 56 is mind boggling...as is the Sprang cover recreation to Detective 118.GOD BLESS...

The Mad #1 will get TONS of hits on its page and quite a number of bids, but whether that will equate to a significant price is yet to be seen. This is not my former copy. I also tried to sell that through Heritage an auction or two ago and it also failed to meet its reserve of $28,000 or so. I originally purchased it through Heritage around 2005 for $32,000.00 (allegedly the second time a copy sold at this price, but that was when there were 3 copies and now there are 6). I sold it following the failed auction earlier this year in a private transaction for $24,500.00.

I know another CGC 9.8 sold earlier this year for $25k as well so apparently that is the new benchmark.

The Mad #1 will get TONS of hits on its page and quite a number of bids, but whether that will equate to a significant price is yet to be seen. This is not my former copy. I also tried to sell that through Heritage an auction or two ago and it also failed to meet its reserve of $28,000 or so. I originally purchased it through Heritage around 2005 for $32,000.00 (allegedly the second time a copy sold at this price, but that was when there were 3 copies and now there are 6). I sold it following the failed auction earlier this year in a private transaction for $24,500.00.

I know another CGC 9.8 sold earlier this year for $25k as well so apparently that is the new benchmark.

Considering the social significance ( or insignificance as Bill Gaines would say)...25 K is not a high price at all. It surprises me that it isn't a 40 K book...cool cover,great material, and museum quality preservation.This hobby of ours can be so illogical. The Gaines file copy collection really gives us some insight on the threshold level of supply versus demand in our hobby....ratio / proportion wise. GOD BLESS...