• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Good Comic Stores in Herndon, Virginia?

11 posts in this topic

Looks like I'll be there on Wed afternoon-Thurs...and maybe Friday morning. Any good back issue comic stores to check-out? Considering I find the time to slip out of a couple meetings of course... :grin:

Jim

Looks like I'll be there on Wed afternoon-Thurs...and maybe Friday morning. Any good back issue comic stores to check-out? Considering I find the time to slip out of a couple meetings of course... :grin:

Jim

I grew up in Herndon, VA. Assuming it's still there (I haven't been there in 8 years), you should check out Phoenix Comics on Elden Street.

lol

I live in Reston, which is two minutes from Herndon.

Dirty little secret from Northern Virginia...there are no good comic stores here, if you are looking for back issues at all.

Phoenix Comics is my LCS, but they aren't in Herndon anymore, they moved to Landsdowne about a year ago (which made me sad, as it was nice having an LCS five minutes from my house). If you have a car, they're worth the trip, but again, there's no back issues there to speak of. Lots of new stuff, and lots of trades, etc., and they're good guys, but you won't find anything old.

E.G. Comics in Vienna will have some back issues - I haven't been there in a while - and is willing to negotiate. Ed's an interesting fellow. Vienna's about 10 minutes from where you'll be.

What are you doing in Herndon?

Sadly, even when Phoenix Comics was in Herndon, the best back issue selection in Herndon proper, if you like the old stuff, was the short box under the bed in my 2nd bedroom.

Phoenix is out in Lansdowne now and absolulely not worth visiting for back issues. It does however have one of the best, if not THE best new issue selections around. I've visited many a store over the years and its the rare one that devotes quite as much space to indy fare. I've spent enough there over the last 14 years to open my own friggin store.

EG is OK, but that same stock has been sitting there for aaages. I'm pretty sure he's not updated it since 1995. Its a good deal better than Phoenix though.

If you like cheap Mexican eats though, check out the Tortilla factory, right next to where Phoenix used to be. Excellent!

About 1 hour from herndon in Fredericksburg (off exit 130 on I95) is Old Town comics.

http://www.oldtowncomics.com/

Great assortment of back issues (silver and bronze), and Ed (owner) gets in collections all the time. Great prices. he also seems to pick up collection every week.

I don't think I'll have the time to go that far... :(

Jim

E.G. Comics in Vienna will have some back issues - I haven't been there in a while - and is willing to negotiate. Ed's an interesting fellow. Vienna's about 10 minutes from where you'll be.

Thanks for the tip...I was able to break away long enough to make it to EG Comics...

Not a bad store with a pretty impressive selection of back issues...at least for LCS' these days. The owner wasn't very chatty though... seems like he may have a slight stuttering problem. Regardless, I only had time to quickly go through his boxes and found a couple HG BA Our Fighting Forces issues and a 60s Stanley War issue in VG (one I'd never seen before) to buy. His prices were very reasonable as well.

Looks like I'll be going back to Herndon every three months...so I'll have to make it back with more time to spare... (thumbs u

By the way...the trip there from the Comfort Inn on Elden St and back wasn't bad at all...there's some seriously nice places on Hunter's and Lawyer's Road... :o:grin:

Jim