• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay warning

17 posts in this topic

I was recently on vacation and by chance checked my eBay account when I was at my parent's home.

My account comes up and not only had my ID bid on 3-4 auctions, but had WON one auction!

I couldn't believe it! I immediately did a bid retraction for the auction my ID was currently winning, changed my password and kept a close watch on the account for the next couple of days.

WTF?

The one auction that resulted in a win garnered me a negative as the seller wasn't buying my explanation of a hi-jacked account. mad.giffrown.gif Tried to explain my case and told the seller that I never have bid on and don't have any interest in Victorian Doll Furniture. crazy.gif Still didn't believe me. All for less than 10.00.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Yup my Ebay account was hijacked once. I don't really buy stuff off their anymroe and I completely stopped selling. Luckily my Paypal wasn't but that's a big reason I don't use Paypal anymore. Read to many stories of ebay and paypal accounts getting hijacked and then the accounts linked to paypal were easily cleaned out.

I was recently on vacation and by chance checked my eBay account when I was at my parent's home.

My account comes up and not only had my ID bid on 3-4 auctions, but had WON one auction!

I couldn't believe it! I immediately did a bid retraction for the auction my ID was currently winning, changed my password and kept a close watch on the account for the next couple of days.

WTF?

The one auction that resulted in a win garnered me a negative as the seller wasn't buying my explanation of a hi-jacked account. mad.giffrown.gif Tried to explain my case and told the seller that I never have bid on and don't have any interest in Victorian Doll Furniture. crazy.gif Still didn't believe me. All for less than 10.00.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Happened to me about 2 years ago. I apparently bid on a pair of Nike running shoes. I didn't win, but I did tell ebay what happened and was ignored. crazy.gif

Yes sir! Changed that password on it the same day. [!@#%^&^] that I am, I had the same password for both accounts! crazy.gif

thanks to your story - i've finally got around to setting a different password for my paypal account (different to ebay). had been meaning to do that for while - then this thread pushed me over...

i have to admit that back during the rustysstarwars saga - once or twice i typed in his email address and tried one or two "passwords" to try to get in. you end up giving up really fast since the likelihood of GUESSING a password are remote...

but man - if i got into rustysstarwars, i would've had a field day... acclaim.gif

Key Info:

A good percentage of all passwords are PASSWORD

I was a computer learning center (New Horizons) in Albuq. setting up a LAN and there was a DHCP server someplace in the building serving address and screwing up my DHCP scheme. I found the offending Win2k server but it was logged off. I could have just turned it off, but I didn't know if it was serving any other purpose so I just wanted to turn off DHCP. I typed user-name "Administrator" and left the password blank, no go. I tried user-name "Administrator" and password "password", no go. Last try, user-name "Administrator" and password "newhorizons", BINGO!

These people actually have a class in their curriculum called "Network and Computer Systems Security". 27_laughing.gif

Here is a link to my post on the other board. This just happend to me, but I caught them quickly with no damage to my account.

Ebay Warning

After getting everthing back to normal with Ebay I just received another spoof e-mail from the same people trying to get my ID password, checking account number, and CC numbers....man I wish I could get my hands on these guys 893censored-thumb.gif