• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goon appreciation thread :)
5 5

1,060 posts in this topic

This is just like "The Invincibles" situation where a few books were considered the 1st appearance for a while, but then it turned out it was just preview material.

I wonder if there is another book out there like this containing Goon material.

I'm not gone 3 days and this thread goes to hell! lol

I haven't had a chance to really talk to Eric (ask Steve and Chris what a tough time I've had this weekend catching him; that dude does not sit still long).

Here's an interesting thought, though. What if the Dreamwalker story was originally published on thegoon.com website first, then printed in Dreamwalker, and then reprinted in Goon #1?

How does that change the equation? hm

Was the thegoon.com website even up and running in 1998?

From the scans bcruze posted, it looks like it is a self contained short story as published in Dreamwalker #0, and if it was still a self contained short story in issue #1 of the Goon as implied by a couple comments mentioning it as "the last story" in the issue, then Dreamwalker #0 should be considered the first appearance, which was then "reprinted" in the Goon #1. Unless, of course, there was another short story published which also predated the Avatar #1 issue of the Goon AND the Dreamwalker #0 issue.......

From the scans bcruze posted, it looks like it is a self contained short story as published in Dreamwalker #0, and if it was still a self contained short story in issue #1 of the Goon as implied by a couple comments mentioning it as "the last story" in the issue, then Dreamwalker #0 should be considered the first appearance, which was then "reprinted" in the Goon #1. Unless, of course, there was another short story published which also predated the Avatar #1 issue of the Goon AND the Dreamwalker #0 issue.......

Or Eric submitted the whole book Goon 1 to Avatar.However, since Avatar was unwilling to pay Eric to draw new material to promote his book, Avatar just used last pages of Goon #1 in which Eric used to promote Goon #2.to save money by putting the Goon #1 cover on the last page of Dreamwalker #0. Avatar decides to make a few "limited editions" with some random sketches Eric drew without his permission. Later Eric, realizing that Avatar is not putting the proper quality in his book and giving him the proper respect, decides to not publish in any new work,and to wait his contract out to properly promote his book himself.

Naw, that cant be it, that makes toooooooo much sense.

Edited by catch21

So do you think prices on Avatar Goon #1 have cooled down a bit sense Avatar Illustrated has been "discovered" a couple months ago? I picked up a copy of Goon #1 for what I thought was a steal the other day...

After all the high prices realized it may cool a little, but as soon as the excitement picks up again with the release of the movie (and especially with the actors involved), I'm assuming it will bounce back again.

And the few shots from this animated film have me excited to see this come out.

FinalGoonExBig.jpg

GoonExclusiveCloseSm.jpg

So do you think prices on Avatar Goon #1 have cooled down a bit sense Avatar Illustrated has been "discovered" a couple months ago? I picked up a copy of Goon #1 for what I thought was a steal the other day...

Actually prices or demand, for the Avatar Illustrated have come down. The highest price was 9.8 "privately sold for $300" according to ebay. It last closed at $218. After that, there been two sellers ,who been trying to sell, one selling a 9.8 for $450. A seller that looks to have a raw copy that keeps lowering his or her amount. The seller started with bid $99 with BIN149, then lowered to bid $89 with BIN $109, now $89 with $99. I think buyers realized it was a preview book or the ones that really want this book know where to get it.

As for the Goon #1, supply for 9.8 has dried up, knowing that movie is coming out sellers are holding on to their supply. Accordding to the census, there's only "18". I am sure if someone was smart enough put a 9.8 auction style,not BIN the price would be beat the current record. The reason, Sellers who already own the book would bid. The movie is still about two years away, nothing but potential. Raw copies seem to remain stable 90-110. There's a guy trying to sell a Goon 1 and 2 9.6 for 599. The seller been trying those book nearly a year now. I think that's just a case bad marketing or "look what I have".

Goon 3 has increased in price. According to GPA, Goon 3 9.8 is worth more than Goon 2 9.8. That being it's the first orgin of the Goon.

Edited by catch21

These are books are tough in high grade, they will definitely come back again. Part of the lack of interest has to be the erratic schedule of the Dark Horse series. Though we are all a bunch of zombie Goons (book contradiction!), most of the populace isn't.

I don't see Avatar Illustrated being a long term high dollar book. It's a preview.

Pat

Or Eric submitted the whole book Goon 1 to Avatar.However, since Avatar was unwilling to pay Eric to draw new material to promote his book, Avatar just used last pages of Goon #1 in which Eric used to promote Goon #2.to save money by putting the Goon #1 cover on the last page of Dreamwalker #0. Avatar decides to make a few "limited editions" with some random sketches Eric drew without his permission. Later Eric, realizing that Avatar is not putting the proper quality in his book and giving him the proper respect, decides to not publish in any new work,and to wait his contract out to properly promote his book himself.

Naw, that cant be it, that makes toooooooo much sense.

That's a very plausible explanation as well. I really wish I had had the chance to delve into the topic with him. :(