• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How did having kids change your collecting/reading?

88 posts in this topic

I stumbled on this thread the other day, and as a still newbie father of a soon to be 3 year old daughter, I thought there were some really sweet and encouraging advice and stories from many members.

Since it's been almost 10 whole years since the last post, I was wondering if any of the posters could comment on their comments etc. I'd love to hear what you'd have to say now that your kids are in... grade school, high school, college, etc.. Maybe some of your kids have even had kids by now!!

Has your collecting/reading gone through any unexpected phases/changes your former self didn't/couldn't foresee?

And lastly, did the original poster end up having any kids?

For me my collecting has changed from just getting whatever to more thought out purchases.

I try to limit my spending to:

1: Books that I feel are both important to me personally and I believe will maintain some sort of demand in the long term. +1 if it's something I hope my daughter will appreciate the significance of someday.

2: Cheap reader stuff that I like but wouldn't care about losing.

Here's my little wonder girl and some books. Thanks for sharing!

27215978340_e0ce9eff0d_o.jpg

My son is 7 years old now. He is easily the best, most fun, coolest part of my life. He's a blessing. Sure, he's crazy amounts of work sometimes, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

My collecting hasn't changed all that much. I read a lot less, and buy less, but by buying less, I tend to focus on buying comics that are a little more expensive. My monthly pull list is mostly devoted to comics I read to him and copies of those comics I save for him in minty fresh condition.

I've been reading him lots of Scooby Doo comics (or rather, he reads them to me). And whenever an arc is done, we lay on the floor and read the Marvel Star Wars series. It's a little hard to follow for him sometimes with all the talking, but he loves it. And so do I. We stayed up a couple of hours past bedtime on Saturday night, reading comics in bed.

I'm a writer who makes a comic or two each year. Since my son was born on Halloween, I decided to write a scary all-ages comic for him and his friends. I printed a bunch for Halloween to hand out instead of candy, and the response was so good that I decided to print a whole run of color copies. I have a Kickstarter campaign running right now for HOUSE OF FEAR, a story in which my son provided some key plot points. Issue 3 is being drawn right now, and it features my son and three of his friends being chased by a swamp monster.

Here's a few images from issue 3:

Dead_Lake_Draft2.jpg

DeadLakePrelim.jpg

Having a 4 year old boy, I became more cognizant of the tone of what I was reading. Silver/Bronze Age books are just fun. Modern gets darker, more gore, more death. So when it comes time to read real comics with him, I will be sticking with the older stuff.

But the toys....so great. For Christmas he got the Fisher Price Imaginext Batcave, Green Lantern Planet OA, and the Legion of Doom hideout (plus a whole bunch of figures). We've been playing every night. I've been teaching him about the good guys and bad guys, their names, their powers (he likes the Flash and Solomon Grundy). Having a kid allows you to be a kid again, and it's fun.