• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it worth slabbing a modern and what was your first? (other newbie Qs)

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I am new to these boards. Reading the post and watching the selling forum is making me catch the slabbing bug. I am thinking about making the first one a modern comic but have some really stupid questions.

- How did you select it off the rack? I no longer have a pull list so I am going to risk getting a good issue from the rack pile.

- How do you store them? It does not look like the slab will fit in a comic box but I could be wrong.

- Does slabbing the comic really protect it? Is it worth doing a modern? The issue I was thinking of doing is an oversize special issue with a fantastic cover.

Along with the questions, what was your first off the rack slabbed book? I love to read other stories to learn. Thanks.

Hi everyone, I am new to these boards. Reading the post and watching the selling forum is making me catch the slabbing bug. I am thinking about making the first one a modern comic but have some really stupid questions.

- How did you select it off the rack? I no longer have a pull list so I am going to risk getting a good issue from the rack pile.

- How do you store them? It does not look like the slab will fit in a comic box but I could be wrong.

- Does slabbing the comic really protect it? Is it worth doing a modern? The issue I was thinking of doing is an oversize special issue with a fantastic cover.

Along with the questions, what was your first off the rack slabbed book? I love to read other stories to learn. Thanks.

Slabbing moderns is generally not worth the effort unless it's a 9.8 and you plan on reselling. That said, I did have some uber-high grade (9.6 and 9.8) variants slabbed.

You should be able to get a box made especially for slabs at your LCS. If not, someone here can provide you with a link.

Slabs do protect the comic but they aren't waterproof and the staples have been known to rust in safes. I generally don't think slabbing a modern is really worth it, except for limited exceptions. You may be able to get a better deal from eBay or here.

My first off the rack slabbed book was either UFF 31 or 32. My first slab was a Batman 427 in 9.4, old old label.

Slabbing moderns is generally not worth the effort unless it's a 9.8 and you plan on reselling. That said, I did have some uber-high grade (9.6 and 9.8) variants slabbed.

You should be able to get a box made especially for slabs at your LCS. If not, someone here can provide you with a link.

Slabs do protect the comic but they aren't waterproof and the staples have been known to rust in safes. I generally don't think slabbing a modern is really worth it, except for limited exceptions. You may be able to get a better deal from eBay or here.

My first off the rack slabbed book was either UFF 31 or 32. My first slab was a Batman 427 in 9.4, old old label.

Thank. The only thing is what happens if no one else slabs it?

If you want the book in a slab and you are willing to pay the cost of slabbing, then go ahead a do it. If you're looking to sell the book later, you'll probably lose money on the deal. If you just want the book for display purposes, there's cheaper ways. If you want to merely protect the book, go for a full back and mylite2.

I did a submission of moderns for my 1st crack at CGC. Since "modern" for CGC includes Bronze and Copper the only true modern that I did was a Spider-Man 1/2 that got a 9.8.

Almost all of the moderns that I do, I do for Signature Series.

CGC SS Moderns for me all the way

Signature series is an exception. That's not slabbing for display or preservation but for showing off a cool authentic signature.