• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #13 on ebay!

221 posts in this topic

Well. I offered to meet the seller in his Ebay listed location Cedar Hill which is 45 minutes away. I stated that I wanted to look at the books prior to bidding. His reply was that he has moved to Metropolis, IL, which is 3 hours away. Too bad as knowing whether these books have resto could make all the difference. I did tell him that a no return policy was a terrible idea with raw high dollar books.

Well. I offered to meet the seller in his Ebay listed location Cedar Hill which is 45 minutes away. I stated that I wanted to look at the books prior to bidding. His reply was that he has moved to Metropolis, IL, which is 3 hours away. Too bad as knowing whether these books have resto could make all the difference. I did tell him that a no return policy was a terrible idea with raw high dollar books.

his reply is setting off my "BEWARE! Bullsh!t!" alert meter. I think they are likely all restored to some degree.

Still, read my sig.... hmmm..

One of his responses to me last night. Apparently, we here on the boards are amazed that he has these books.

Hello Jeff,

All of the Action Comics that we are listing are from a collection that has been in dark storage for the last 40 years with absolutely no modern restoration whatsoever. Not sure what the restoration technology is now a days but I believe that a little tape on some but not much other than that listed. From what we are hearing from many inquirers is that these books have not been subject to any modern restoration at all and some are astounded over that.

some of those emailers who consider themselves experts and/or are plugged into the network chatrooms of major comic appraisal services seem to be amazed that we even have these books with so little restoration.

So, as it goes, we have no information at all as to how it was faded in that way. All we can say is that it had to have happened over 40 years ago. As the only time these books were even pulled out of storage was to change the bags and that hasn't been done in over 25 years. They were bought, and stored and that is that. No fingering or meddling at all according to the original owner...at least the owner for the last 40+ years. before that...who knows?

Hope this information helps.

Adam

Here's some pics of the #12 What do you guys think? Are their any signs of restoration?

This is the book I would be most interested in, and I like my books unrestored. :grin:

action12frontcover.jpg

action12backcover.jpg

action12inside.jpg

Just a quick glance based on scans alone is hard to say.

But the cover doesn't appear to have been wet or dry cleaned as the cover is not overly small(maybe the whites on the FC were dry cleaned?). And the interior cover still shows edge tanning. Interior pages still show a V effect so it looks untrimmed, and the bottom spine area was not filled. The spine breaks on the cover spine are still visible so it looks to not have been CT, although the bottom staple area looks funny

Might have been pressed. (shrug)

Overall it looks pretty original.(based on the small scans that is)

Did you ask for more, better photos? This sellers behaviour sets off my scamdar.

I cant see the reds on that 13 fading up top and not anywhere else due to solvents no matter how they were misused.

I think Mattbird was right and it was a printing defect. (does anyone know if this book displayed this flaw on other books in the run?)

And there are still so many visible things wrong with the book, if it is restored on some level, it isn't Extensive. Obviously there was no wet cleaning, no spine/tears sealed etc.

God knows what that black smear /streak is and the spotting is from.

But again, why is the seller so squirly. Did you ask for better scans?

I could, but these books haven't been touched in 40 years! In fact, they've never been touched at all! Magnets were used to suspend the book in mid-air during its distribution, purchase, reading, and subsequent storage. They are paragons of perfection. :cloud9: