• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does smell affect a books grade?

23 posts in this topic

This might be a stupid question, but if a book absorbs an odor ,would it have a bearing on the grade.

The reason i ask is cause i keep my cgc books in a closed unfinished wood cabinet. My wife has been busting my chops for a year now to stain it and i'm afraid if i do the books would after a while smell like the stain/varnish, so i've been stalling and stalling.

I remember as a kid i had some books that smelled like mothballs and i hated to even read them.

So I guess what i'm asking is if i send a nm graded book in to be re-slabbed 7 years from now and it stinks like cherry oak would it lower the grade?

Overstreet advises in Fair/Good "Acidic odor my be present". Otherwise, no mention of odour is made. So, I don't think the odor your thinking about, would affect the grade. I am thinking any book that may smell this way, can be aired out anyway. But, other than Overstreet's comment, the rest is just an opinion. grin.gif

overstreet has no formal statement on smell of a comic affectign grade but legend has it that some mile high experts can detect a mile high by smell alone

the hawkeyes dsicovered and stored in a mothball closet by joe smejkal have a characteristic odour to them also

10_1_111.gif

Beyonder would you buy a stinky book if the QP is awsome?

Hmm.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If it had perfect QP......at least it wouldn't smell like a POS. smirk.gif

But what if the book was stored in a barn? Then it might stink like a POS. I remember months ago a nasty FF 112 was on their that came from some guys parent's barn.

10_1_111.gif

Beyonder would you buy a stinky book if the QP is awsome?

Hmm.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If it had perfect QP......at least it wouldn't smell like a POS. smirk.gif

But what if the book was stored in a barn? Then it might stink like a POS. I remember months ago a nasty FF 112 was on their that came from some guys parent's barn.

I thought I was being clever......apparently not. frown.gif

Smell may not affect a books' grade, but it does affect its' sellability. I've had books which looked FN but had a strong acrid aroma which put me off them - let alone any potential purchasers. As smell is the strongest memory trigger any books you own that have an acidic or musty stench will always be undermined and identified at least a little by this, as if they've been adulterated in some way due to inadequate storage.

As for grade, it's a long term thing. A high grade book that smells like a POS may look great, but may also be in a more advanced state of deterioration. Again an archive expert would help. Mothballs aren't as bad as some odors, but I guess it all boils down to taste- in my case it bothers me. Not a stupid question at all!

Tried sprinkling baking soda in an old copy of Whiz years ago that had

a VERY acidic smell to it. Pages were tan, but very supple.

Lightly dusted the powder inbetween every page, sealed it up in

a zip bag for the weekend. Took the smell away for about a week,

but the process was far more work than a $50 book was worth,

and end results didn't last long. Cheap pulp = high acid.

The references to a vinegar or pickle odor in the Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide indicate when a book has become highly acidic and the paper has begun to break down severely. The result is often a detectable odor. So the smell itself is not really the cause of downgrading, but it is a symptom of something happening to the paper that *is* cause for downgrading.

...And if your comic has a light, buttery, vanilla smell, then it's automatically Gem Mint, even if three quarters of the book is missing.

laugh.gif

Arnold

The references to a vinegar or pickle odor in the Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide indicate when a book has become highly acidic and the paper has begun to break down severely. The result is often a detectable odor. So the smell itself is not really the cause of downgrading, but it is a symptom of something happening to the paper that *is* cause for downgrading.

...And if your comic has a light, buttery, vanilla smell, then it's automatically Gem Mint, even if three quarters of the book is missing.

laugh.gif

Arnold

Sounds like the comic you're describing is good enough to eat grin.gif

conversely, what about a comic that still maintains that INCREDIBLE newstand fresh smell. I have recently come across a large collection of late 70's DC's that all smell EXACTLY like a new book used to. I had thought all my books smelled like that, but after smelling these, i was hit in the face & now know the difference. Its powerful!