• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alan Moore

9 posts in this topic

OK, - an Alan Moore question up for graps here:

Miracle man: everybody seems to want the 4 hardcover books. These are the cool editions to have. Not so much the single books (the same with Gaimans 'Sandman' by the way!)

Watchmen: here everybody primarily seem to want the 12 individual books. Not the original black Graphitti, slipcase deluxe edition.

So whats the coolest to own: hardcovers or the originally published singular books?

OK, - an Alan Moore question up for graps here:

Miracle man: everybody seems to want the 4 hardcover books. These are the cool editions to have. Not so much the single books (the same with Gaimans 'Sandman' by the way!)

Watchmen: here everybody primarily seem to want the 12 individual books. Not the original black Graphitti, slipcase deluxe edition.

So whats the coolest to own: hardcovers or the originally published singular books?

Miracleman is a special case. Because the rights are so screwed up, the material cannot be reprinted. So the common single issues (say #1 through #8 or so) are not much in demand. But the later single issues are very much so (#15 particularly). Likewise, the collected editions go for big bucks, because there are relatively few of them in circulation, and no clear path forward to reprinting them.

I've not been following the Sandman market, but I'm surprised to hear that any of these books (hardcover, tpb, original monthlies) are going for over cover price. (shrug)

Watchmen is possibly the most reprinted comic series of all time. Even before the movie hype, it was in DC's interest to keep it in print in order that the rights not revert back to Moore. The recent demand for the original issues is I think entirely movie-driven, and I'd be surprised if the market for the original issues continues much past March 6 2009. I sold all my duplicates over the last year. (thumbs u

Thanks for your answer.

Is there really absolutely no foreseeable compromise in the horizont for the miracle-books?

The 1st editions of the 'Sandman' hardcovers though - they seem to command a lot of dogh ...

I think it's very unlikely Miracleman will ever be reprinted - the ownership issue is extremely complicated - and even if resolved with Gaiman & MacFarlane, Alan Davis will never give permission to reprint his part (see recent thread).

However, the character may see print again - though bizarrely back as Marvelman.

This from a very reliable source....

The name 'Marvelman' and it's original copyrights have officially gone back to Mick Anglo who is now working with Garry Leach to produce a new 'MARVELMAN' comic. Garry owns the new MM logo that was used on the later Miracleman comics.

BTW, the hard-backs are great but there's nothing like owning an ultra high grade set of 1-24!

This one is a confusing one. Alan Moore did great work on Miracleman, yet it is

Todd McFarlane vs.Neil Gaiman for the rights to ownership?

Anybody what to explain this one?

Remember the last 6 issues of Miracleman were written by Gaiman. Moore had transferred the right to him so he could continue the comic. That's a simple version of a very convoluted story.

This one is a confusing one. Alan Moore did great work on Miracleman, yet it is

Todd McFarlane vs.Neil Gaiman for the rights to ownership?

Anybody what to explain this one?

Essentially Alan Moore gave his rights to Gaiman.

McFarlane bought whatever rights remained with Eclipse after Eclipse went under.

But it is not even clear if the original publisher of Marvelman in the UK properly obtained the rights from Mick Anglo in the first place! doh!

wiki sez

I've not been following the Sandman market, but I'm surprised to hear that any of these books (hardcover, tpb, original monthlies) are going for over cover price. (shrug)

First edition Sandman hardcovers command a very nice price - same with the first 8-10 issues, the #50 platinum, and, of course, the #8 error edition. The latter is a $200 raw book any day of the week.