• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Christopher Priest - alias name? *DELETED*

6 posts in this topic

Nope, I knew it. I used to "hang around" with Priest online, on a small mailing list (barely that, just a group of less than a dozen of us) where we talked comics, and all sorts of things. He told that same story about his ex-wife being the reason he changed his name. But he doesn't like to be called Jim Owsley anymore, just in case you run into him.

-- Joanna

Sorry. I knew this too.

What I didn't know, and had been meaning to ask, is why he changed his name. Thanks for filling that in.

He's done some editing for Marvel in the past as well. He was the one who edited Peter David on Spectacular Spidey, and had to fire him after being pressured by Jim Shooter (according to David).

James Christopher Owsley changed his name to Christopher James Priest...

IIRC he also went on record saying he also changed his name because 'Owsley' was the name of the man who owned once of his ancestors...

Priest played a major part in the infamous Marvel Office Wars and you can read his side of the story here Click for a Long and very interesting read

Priest as Owsley was also a prolific fan-letter writer to DC and Marvel in his early teens, just last week I stumbled on one of his letters in an old "Action Comics"... he not only goes out of his way to lay bare the weak points of a certain plot, he also rewrites it in his letter... Great guy great mind smile.gif

Adding to the confusion is a SF author named Christopher Priest, author of The Inverted World, among others. I wonder if Jim Owsley knew about the other when he chose his new first name?

Cheers,

Z.