• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week in Your Bronze Age Collection!!
35 35

6,936 posts in this topic

I just picked up my SDCC books, so since I'm seeing them for the first time after the show, up they go.

I went to SDCC determined not to buy any books. I failed. I expect to fail even worse in Chicago.

First, an acquisition from the Bunky Bros. How can you pass up on a sweet, sweet, HG Archie Giant.

IMG-40.jpg

A digest I haven't been able to find:

IMG_0004-25.jpg

An Archie, that for some reason I haven't been able to find in anything approximating HG, from a $2 box.

IMG_0001-33.jpg

And then, from a dealer with whom I've done business for 4 years, but never looked in his long-boxes, a bunch of gorgeous Gold Keys for $3 a piece. Grades range from 8.5-9.6, but even the low-end ones are absolutely gorgeous, with great gloss, real deep colors, and super nice pages. Apparently, the dealer and then Lighthouse filled me in on the story of the original collection, which came to market 10 years ago, and boy I wish I came across these earlier. These are as nice as any file copies, but even cooler since someone bothered to pick these off the stand and preserve them.

IMG_0005-24.jpg

IMG_0006-21.jpg

IMG_0007-19.jpg

IMG_0008-19.jpg

IMG_0009-15.jpg

IMG_0010-14.jpg

IMG_0011-11.jpg

IMG_0012-8.jpg

IMG_0013-7.jpg

IMG_0014-6.jpg

IMG_0015-6.jpg

IMG_0016-5.jpg

IMG_0017-5.jpg

IMG_0019-4.jpg

IMG_0020-5.jpg

IMG_0021-4.jpg

IMG_0022-4.jpg

IMG_0023-4.jpg

IMG_0024-4.jpg

IMG_0025-4.jpg

IMG_0036-2.jpg

IMG_0035-2.jpg

IMG_0037-4.jpg

IMG_0028-2.jpg

IMG_0029-2.jpg

IMG_0030-2.jpg

IMG_0031-2.jpg

IMG_0034-2.jpg

IMG_0033-2.jpg

IMG_0032-2.jpg

Edited by silverandbronze

I just picked up my SDCC books, so since I'm seeing them for the first time after the show, up they go.

I went to SDCC determined not to buy any books. I failed. I expect to fail even worse in Chicago.

And then, from a dealer with whom I've done business for 4 years, but never looked in his long-boxes, a bunch of gorgeous Gold Keys for $3 a piece. Grades range from 8.5-9.6, but even the low-end ones are absolutely gorgeous, with great gloss, real deep colors, and super nice pages. Apparently, the dealer and then Lighthouse filled me in on the story of the original collection, which came to market 10 years ago, and boy I wish I came across these earlier. These are as nice as any file copies, but even cooler since someone bothered to pick these off the stand and preserve them.

Cool to see this collection of Gold Keys. I am still sitting on all of mine bought from '72 to '80 mainly off the newstand. They are under appreciated books, good to know someone else likes them.

Got this one in from the Quality Comix auction...

WitchingHour011969-03CGC75w.jpg

Nice book but does it count as Bronze Age ?

It does in my collection... I really don't think it is important for everyone to agree on the stopgaps for the Ages... There are certain series that I consider Bronze (Witching Hour being one of them) that just happen to have started a little early, but are still solidly Bronze in my eyes. I do not, for instance, consider Creepy to be a Silver Age magazine, even though, chronologically, it is. It is either the last hold over from the Atom Age, or the first forerunner of the Bronze Age, but bears no resemblance to anything involved in the Silver Age. End rantrant

Got this one in from the Quality Comix auction...

WitchingHour011969-03CGC75w.jpg

Nice book but does it count as Bronze Age ?

It does in my collection... I really don't think it is important for everyone to agree on the stopgaps for the Ages... There are certain series that I consider Bronze (Witching Hour being one of them) that just happen to have started a little early, but are still solidly Bronze in my eyes. I do not, for instance, consider Creepy to be a Silver Age magazine, even though, chronologically, it is. It is either the last hold over from the Atom Age, or the first forerunner of the Bronze Age, but bears no resemblance to anything involved in the Silver Age. End rantrant

Intresting point, it makes sense to me.

Straight from Chicago (after another trip to Baltimore). Priced raw $6, found in a 50% off box--not sure what the dealer was thinking, since other F+ romance books were marked $15.

I don't slab many books, but I was so psyched to find this. Never thought I'd own a HG copy, never mind come across one in the bargain bins. Tied for 2nd highest graded, and just a super cool cover I always assumed was by Cardy.

D'ya care yet, Greggy? D'ya?

103406.jpg.415acb859c197c6fb5cd0bad5657d296.jpg

Straight from Chicago (after another trip to Baltimore). Priced raw $6, found in a 50% off box--not sure what the dealer was thinking, since other F+ romance books were marked $15.

I don't slab many books, but I was so psyched to find this. Never thought I'd own a HG copy, never mind come across one in the bargain bins. Tied for 2nd highest graded, and just a super cool cover I always assumed was by Cardy.

D'ya care yet, Greggy? D'ya?

That's a great book! Good hunting. :applause: