• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I the only one that doesn't like Romita Jr art in ASM?

31 posts in this topic

John Romita Jr. rocks! :headbang: But art is a very subjective thing, so... :foryou:

On another note, I didn't know Barry Kitson was going to do an arc in ASM! He's probably my favorite current artist and I think he might be reason enough to make me buy a new issue of ASM after almost 10 years. :o

Barry has already done a couple of issues including last month's Flash Thompson story.

I'm seriously out of touch with Marvel's output :P

Better go ask at my LCS. Thanks for the tip. (thumbs u

Romita's art is above average, but like the poster pointed about it is subjective. Personally for me I always think the art is a little unclean myself depending on inker. I am more then happy to have him on any book I buy, but I dont go out of my way to tell others hey check this out because Romita's drawing it. His art really hasnt changed much over the years. He is consistent, on time and very professional. Wish more artists today acted more like him.

Title has been stinky, and I only keep picking it up to keep the run going. Hope they realize soon that the flagship title deserves a lot more attention and talent. :shrug:

I agree. Get J. Michael Strazynski on it ASAP. (thumbs u He'll whip it into shape in no time. Oh wait...they already did. Best run in the history of ASM and they decided to wipe it clean and do away with Mary Jane and Peter being married.

Geez. Whatever happened to the good old days of organic webshooters, Gwen as a slut and totemic spidergods? hm I guess too many old timers complained that they wanted things to be the same as in the 60's and that insufficiently_thoughtful_person Quesada complied.

I actually think he has changed quite a bit. Maybe his work today is stable and dependable, but I think he has changed a lot (not for the better) than his younger days.

I understand your point and you are right he has changed. It seems like he is paying more attention to anatomy then he used to back then. I enjoyed his run on Thor with Jurgens. I like the fact that he is on time and very professional.

I was thinking more along the lines of how Marc Silverstri changed from X-men to Cyberforce and beyond. I was blown away with his art when he went to Image. I thought he was just an average artist at best on X-men.

Romita Jr. is a great artist. Main reason being his early run. His ASM 230, 238, 244 covers in my mind are among the best of ASM's series. His later stuff maybe a different story though.

I think his later stuff is a result of him looking for a style all his own. He doesn't seem to eschew the shadow of his father, but he does seem to be looking to be recognized on his own merits. His earlier stuff was more Sr.-like.

I liked his art a great deal on the JMS run. I thought Spidey actually seemed spider-like in some of those panels.

If he's back on it now I can't comment, though. I dropped ASM after OMD.

I did ask him how he would describe his style at a convention last year. He said he has a "meet deadlines" style. I guess his thing is he'll draw as nice as time allows. He's definitely more concerned with storytelling than most from my POV.

Art is so subjective though. I don't like Ditko and he is theoretically the spidey prime artist.

Whomever did the Art for the recent Punisher issue should be shot! It was just painful to look at...

I thought the same thing. Not sure who it was. But it was awful.

Didn't mind seeing Moses Magnum back though.

Pat

Guess people see things differently. The punisher issue and the one after it have been the best Spidey issues in years for me. Kind of had the same flavor as ASM of the 70s/early 80s. I really liked them. Art was different, but I think the Punisher as drawn more realistically. Two thumbs up in my book.

Whomever did the Art for the recent Punisher issue should be shot! It was just painful to look at...

I thought the same thing. Not sure who it was. But it was awful.

Didn't mind seeing Moses Magnum back though.

Pat

Guess people see things differently. The punisher issue and the one after it have been the best Spidey issues in years for me. Kind of had the same flavor as ASM of the 70s/early 80s. I really liked them. Art was different, but I think the Punisher as drawn more realistically. Two thumbs up in my book.

Although I didn't particular care for the art in that Punisher issue, it did have a more realistic and gritty feel to it. Not my thing, but I could see how others might enjoy it. The issue after it was worse IMHO.

Back to the thread, I do think J.R. Jr. was trying to establish his own style and thus the different look.