• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any thoughts on the comiclink OA auction?

16 posts in this topic

I bid on six items but with too much restraint, I guess. Didn't win any of 'em.

It seemed to me that the high-end pieces went for high-end prices; the mid-range stuff seemed to collect an appropriate price per piece (with a surprise or two); and the "who wants THAT?" stuff went for beer money.

I bid on six items but with too much restraint, I guess. Didn't win any of 'em.

It seemed to me that the high-end pieces went for high-end prices; the mid-range stuff seemed to collect an appropriate price per piece (with a surprise or two); and the "who wants THAT?" stuff went for beer money.

I didn't follow the results closely but a friend of mine ended up picking up 3 covers that he wanted. Not high-end grail pieces but they all went much cheaper than he had predicted. In fact 2 covers he originally targeted went for $400 less (each) than he had budgeted for that it allowed him to buy a 3rd cover that he hadn't planned on bidding on.

I thought the results supported the thesis that the market is still healthy for the cream..and not too bad for the rest either. I bid half-heartedly on a few pieces, I knew some had high-ish reserves--didn't win anything.

The Byrne Cap page was a good buy...was the underbidder on that page.

-- Mark

I just bid on the November Feature Auction of the five mid range pieces I tried for I won one. I should have tried a bit harder for the Ditko covers. But seeing as it was my first time both on the site and buying OA I wasn't aggressive enough. The page I won was nice enough (otherwise I wouldn't have bid) and I see it when it gets here. Overall I'll try again, as I have a couple bids on the regular auction section as well. My only concern is that some of those "bought" pieces stay on the site for quite a long time.

The Buscema FF splash went unsold with a high bid of $6500.

Now it is for sale for $28000.

Glad you mentioned this. Most of the unsold lots have a listed price now, and also a bid price. This bid price has a connotation that someone is actually bidding that amount (high bidder), but obviously that's not true as it would have reached that level at auction otherwise. I guess the bid price is the reserve at which the consignor will actually sell? Haven't talked to Josh, but it looks like that's the way it works.

My thoughts are as follows:

Per peoples' comments regarding the Heritage and Comiclink auctions, if both showed similar results across the board (Stong, average/as expected, and low) then will we see a migration towards more original art listing for sale on Comiclink to save on commissions and less so on Heritage? Will Heritage be incented to compete with Comiclink by reducing their commissions? :popcorn:

Yes, on comiclink, the consignor can set the reserve. And of course, there are no fees for the buyer.

That's not true. I've won a couple of Comiclink auctions these past two years, and they always charged me fees on every auction I've won. But, Comiclink's fees are not as high as Heritage's.