• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008/09 Grading Contest: Round 1

181 posts in this topic

How did that get a 7.5 with all of those spine stresses????

Because Nik submitted it. You'll take you +1 like the majority and like it!!

:sumo:

Unfortunately I got a -1....had it graded way lower than a 7.5!

Shark

First :boo: :boo: to 31 players who did not submit their grades.

Grades were all over the place.

The breakdown

4.0 - 2

4.5 - 2

5.0 - 8

5.5 - 11

6.0 - 16

6.5 - 29

7.0 - 24

7.5 - 22

8.0 - 8

8.5 - 2

and CGC agrees with those 22

round1001.jpg

Can i submit some books under your account nik?

First :boo: :boo: to 31 players who did not submit their grades.

Grades were all over the place.

The breakdown

4.0 - 2

4.5 - 2

5.0 - 8

5.5 - 11

6.0 - 16

6.5 - 29

7.0 - 24

7.5 - 22

8.0 - 8

8.5 - 2

and CGC agrees with those 22

round1001.jpg

Can i submit some books under your account nik?

Even though the grades were everywhere the majority were in the 6.5 to 7.5 range.

I don't see what all the huffing and puffing is about. That is a slightly soft 7.5. The book is actually a 7.0, exactly as i graded it.

Actually I agree...7.0 my first vote...gift 7.5 but actually a 7.0...in retrospect, a 6.5 was too severe...

Sorry for this interruption...

Let the snivelling recommence... :tonofbricks:

I don't see what all the huffing and puffing is about. That is a slightly soft 7.5. The book is actually a 7.0, exactly as i graded it.

Actually I agree...7.0 my first vote...gift 7.5 but actually a 7.0...in retrospect, a 6.5 was too severe...

Sorry for this interruption...

Let the snivelling recommence... :tonofbricks:

:cry::cry::cry:

I forgot how much scans amplify the appearance of creases. 5.5 was a bit off though.

As a past participant in all of Nik's contests, I definitely agree with this assessment!!

However, even in the newest scan of the slabbed book, you can still plainly see at least a DOZEN spine nicks. and that ULC with the big semi-circular spine stress and color loss on the corner, make this an interesting grade decision to me, as well.

I've heard people state in the grading threads that 10 or so spine nicks automatically pulls the book down to a FINE - oh well, another myth busted.... (shrug)

I forgot how much scans amplify the appearance of creases. 5.5 was a bit off though.

As a past participant in all of Nik's contests, I definitely agree with this assessment!!

However, even in the newest scan of the slabbed book, you can still plainly see at least a DOZEN spine nicks. and that ULC with the big semi-circular spine stress and color loss on the corner, make this an interesting grade decision to me, as well.

I've heard people state in the grading threads that 10 or so spine nicks automatically pulls the book down to a FINE - oh well, another myth busted.... (shrug)

With CGC i have learned to especially NOT count.

I think increasingly that grading a comic book is not an exact science, and that a grade must be applied upon a general aspect.

I don't know how to express that, but i think that grading must reflect a sense.

Yes, i agree, a logic like that means that the best grader in the world would be Jean-Claude Van Damme. :sumo:

With CGC i have learned to especially NOT count.

I think increasingly that grading a comic book is not an exact science, and that a grade must be applied upon a general aspect.

I don't know how to express that, but i think that grading must reflect a sense.

Yes, i agree, a logic like that means that the best grader in the world would be Jean-Claude Van Damme. :sumo:

Granted the stresses etc are probably much less glaring with book in hand but you still have to ask yourself if you purchased this as a 7.5 would you be happy with it? I think not... (shrug)