• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1950s Baseball Comics - Input Sought

20 posts in this topic

I recently purchased the following four books for the price listed and the assessed grade that is referenced.

ROY CAMPANELLA BASEBALL HERO 1950 VF+ NO RES! SCARCE! 1 US $102.50

PHIL RIZZUTO BASEBALL HERO 1951 VF+ NO RES! SCARCE! 1 US $102.50

RALPH KINER HOME RUN KING 1950 VF/NM - NO RES! SCARCE! 1 US $102.50

DON NEWCOMBE BASEBALL HERO 1950 VF+ NO RESERVE! SCARCE! 1 US $101.00

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the books were overgraded.

The Kiner book is really a 7.0/7.5 at most.

The Newcomb book is a 6.0/6.5 copy.

The Rizzuto book is a 6.0/6.5.

And the Campanella book is more in the range of 6.0/6.5, and at best a 7.0.

I contacted the seller and he was very professional in his communications and style and offered a full refund.

The question is whether I should keep them or refund them. At the assessed grades, the prices were fantastic. At the actual grades they are still very good in comparison to the OS guide (the prices are more at the vg level), but I don't know the "real" value of these books. They are for my personal collection.

It's not about whether I like them or not. They're fine but I'm not attached to them that I absolutely need to keep them. If I wouldn't be able to replace them for lower prices in these actual grades or obtain HG copies at prices that are not absurd, I would keep them.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mark

I don't know why they are listed as Rare in the Guide. These books are on eBay somewhat regularly. Generally, they are listed with a reserve or a BIN, always a sign that in a regular auction format, they would fetch far lower than the OSPG has them listed at.

I agree, I don't know why some are listed as "rare", although I'm not sure all (or maybe any) of the above specific books are so listed.

Does anyone have any thoughts/comments on whether I paid a "fair" price in light of the revised conditions? If I wanted to buy these elsewhere in this grade, would I get the same price?

That is the type of opinion I would really find helpful.

Mark, none of them are hard to find and do pop up with some regularity. The problem is finding them in collectible condition. If you are comfortable with the grades you have assigned them then they are nicer than the vast majority of those around. You can always grab them cheaper on eBay but you'll end up with well-read beaters most of the time so I'd actually hold on to those you have. They are not the most in-demand books but those are decent prices if they are clean and solid books. Just my 2c

Mark, none of them are hard to find and do pop up with some regularity. The problem is finding them in collectible condition. If you are comfortable with the grades you have assigned them then they are nicer than the vast majority of those around. You can always grab them cheaper on eBay but you'll end up with well-read beaters most of the time so I'd actually hold on to those you have. They are not the most in-demand books but those are decent prices if they are clean and solid books. Just my 2c

That was my sense. I always look out for them and they almost always seem to be in good to vg condition, definite beaters. These were the first "high-grade" copies I had seen around. Of course, that was too good to be true, but they are still nice mid-grade copies.

Having had some in stock for several years I have learned two things about them . 1) Baseball collectors do not read or collect them.

2) They only appeal to people over 45 who have heard of the players.

The Yankees are always popular to look at but the prices are too high for the average person. The best thing to do is show them to older collectors at a sports show.... if you are trying to sell them. Otherwise they do make for an interesting sub- group in a comic collection. Last thing, they are not rare, but they do not turn up as much as they used to and when you do find them , they can be worn .

Very tough in 8.5 or better.

Very common otherwise.

I'd pass.

Too late!!! :makepoint::frustrated::hi:

well, as long as you enjoy them!

I try to hug them at least once per day. :cloud9:

The image in my mind's eye of you hugging your baseball comics makes me chuckle.