• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bogus GA notations in Overstreet

32 posts in this topic

I know people have done exist? threads before, so this thread isn't for this sort of thing, but rather where OSPG makes errors in terms of the contents or attributions. I'm posting here as I'd like to limit this to GA books, to avoid numerous citations of modern books.

Some examples that come to mind.

All-Famous Police Cases #8 does not contain a marijuana story as far as I can tell - is it maybe in All-famous Crime #8?

Crime and Justice #14 does contain a decapitation story, but it could hardly be described as gory - we never see evidence of decapitation or gore of any sort - just carefully composed images of the body below the neck that would pass muster in a post-code book.

Wanted Comics #22 While there is plenty of shooting - there is nothing one would consider worthy of the "extreme violence" notation - not even compared to other issues in the run. I realize this could be considered merely opinion, but I doubt anyone who's read the book would disagree.

I'd love to see more examples, even if they are more a matter of opinion.

I've always heard stories of OSPG being "salted" with intentional errors for copywrite purposes. Does anyone know of any for sure? Double Action 1 perhaps?

I've heard that too. If I were Overstreet, I would be reluctant to purposefully call my expertise into question by introducing errors into the book.

There are some specific books listed in OS that don't exist: Bringing Up Father 25 and 26 in the Platinum Age section for example. They know this, yet they refuse to correct it.

I've always heard stories of OSPG being "salted" with intentional errors for copywrite purposes. Does anyone know of any for sure? Double Action 1 perhaps?

DA#1 could very well be a plant as there is absolutely no verifiable proof it exists.

would be nice if one day we could get some verification one way or another

DA#1 could very well be a plant as there is absolutely no verifiable proof it exists.

would be nice if one day we could get some verification one way or another

hm

It does seem odd that the guide does have so many errors - comic book fans aren't shy about sharing information and surely most of these issues have been raised. However, planting a bunch of errors hurts your credibility and doesn't help much for copyright protection. Since the information in the guide becomes general knowledge - much like Wikipedia - it would be near impossible to tell what someone lifted directly from the book and what information came from a third party.

If the guide that supposedly tracks all kinds of prices year in and year out still ignores books that sell for 3x-5x multiples year after year without making adjustments, it seems likely that it could just as easily ignore known mistakes year in and year out.

(Does this mean my 1948 Jackie Gleason is now worthless?) :kidaround:

I just noticed that the 1948 Jackie Gleason listing is finally gone. That book didn't exist.

That one never made sense to me. Gleason was a virtual unknown in 1948, and would hardly warrant his own comic book. When I was a kid I always wondered what a Gleason comic from before his Cavalcade of Stars/Honeymooners days could have contained.

I am definitely not the brightest star in the sky. What advantage does OSPG gain from listing intentional errors?

I am definitely not the brightest star in the sky. What advantage does OSPG gain from listing intentional errors?

As mentioned earlier, if someone were to put out a price guide that was simply an exact copy of the Overstreet guide, including the errors, it would be easy to prove plagiarism and copyright infringement.

As mentioned earlier, if someone were to put out a price guide that was simply an exact copy of the Overstreet guide, including the errors, it would be easy to prove plagiarism and copyright infringement.

Ahh.. I see the light now. Thank you kind sir.

Lawyer wannabe! :P