• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bogus GA notations in Overstreet

32 posts in this topic

I've always heard stories of OSPG being "salted" with intentional errors for copywrite purposes. Does anyone know of any for sure? Double Action 1 perhaps?

I am definitely not the brightest star in the sky. What advantage does OSPG gain from listing intentional errors?

As mentioned earlier, if someone were to put out a price guide that was simply an exact copy of the Overstreet guide, including the errors, it would be easy to prove plagiarism and copyright infringement.

Lawyer wannabe! :P

:sorry:

I've always heard stories of OSPG being "salted" with intentional errors for copywrite purposes. Does anyone know of any for sure? Double Action 1 perhaps?

I am definitely not the brightest star in the sky. What advantage does OSPG gain from listing intentional errors?

As mentioned earlier, if someone were to put out a price guide that was simply an exact copy of the Overstreet guide, including the errors, it would be easy to prove plagiarism and copyright infringement.

Lawyer wannabe! :P

:sorry:

Awwww, that's ok, you can hang with us! (:

I noticed that there is a Superduck story listed in Hangman 8 but I don't think that is true. I have a copy with no story and the Golden Age collection of scans from Shield doesn't have one either as far as I can tell. Does anyone know for sure?

bb

wouldn't the fact that all the prices were exactly the same function much to the same effect?

this seems like the kind of thing that was thought up after the fact and continues to this day because it's a convenient rationalisation for not taking the time and effort to fix obvious errors, as opposed to something based in fact

wouldn't the fact that all the prices were exactly the same function much to the same effect?

They might fix all prices with the following formulas:

GA/SA Keys: 4 x OSPG

GA/SA Semi-keys: 3 x OSPG

GA: 2 x OSPG

Modern: 0.5 x OSPG

Yea, I agree. I do not believe that errors are intentionally put into the OSPG. I believe that they started out with assumptions, rumors and misinformation, and just haven't changed them now that they know, for one reason or another.

I have actually contacted Bob Overstreet many years ago about errors in his guide, to let him know about the errors. I even sent him a copy of a book that his guide questioned the existence of. Because I had three. Trouble is, I can not for the life of me now, remember which book it was (it's hell getting old). But I remember for the next two or three years, it was still listed as "exists?".

This was a long time ago, before scanners and PC's, but I also notified him of several errors that he has never corrected. At least up to Price Guide #34 which is my most current copy (I really should get an updated one).

Please don't ask what and which books/errors. I just can't remember things like I used to. Just the other day, I was going through my boxes and putting books in order and came across a two issues of the same book and noticed that the background colors on the front cover were different. I filed them, and made a mental note to check "that" out tomorrow (it was 2 am at the time), and when tomorrow came, I can't remember what book it was.

I am going to look again this week.

Yep. A mind is a terrible thing to waste :)

I have actually contacted Bob Overstreet many years ago about errors in his guide, to let him know about the errors. I even sent him a copy of a book that his guide questioned the existence of. Because I had three. Trouble is, I can not for the life of me now, remember which book it was (it's hell getting old). But I remember for the next two or three years, it was still listed as "exists?".

I gave Overstreet a heads up about Crime and Justice #25 and #26 existing for quite a few years. I was shocked when it finally got listed as "(scarce)" instead of "exist?"

That's just one I've tried to bring their attention to over the ages. I finally got to the point to where I realized that I wasn't going to keep banging my head on the wall trying to help get their info correct.

I gave Overstreet a heads up about Crime and Justice #25 and #26 existing for quite a few years. I was shocked when it finally got listed as "(scarce)" instead of "exist?"

That's just one I've tried to bring their attention to over the ages. I finally got to the point to where I realized that I wasn't going to keep banging my head on the wall trying to help get their info correct.

Amen... I've given up trying to send them information. If you're not part of the inner circle, they don't seem to want your data, so spoon 'em. I would have thought accuracy to be their goal, but I guess they really just don't care.

I've given up trying to send them information. If you're not part of the inner circle, they don't seem to want your data, so spoon 'em.

So true. But in the long run it has worked to me benefit. I've managed to flip quite a few "exist?" and unlisted books for nice profits to some of the "Inner Circle". Books they could have found themselves at a fraction of the price had they taken my info in the first place. lol

I'd love to see more examples, even if they are more a matter of opinion.

Searched for an "Overstreet Errors and Omissions" thread and found this one.

Here's another:

From Here To Insanity #12 - Scarce Charlton mag size comic. Overstreet has it listed as "All Kirby art, except for 4 pages" at a premium price. Not a single page of Kirby in book.

When Overstreet started, the use of bogus items for copyright purposes made

sense. Now that there have been more than a few other price guides plus lots

of data on the internet and the boards, such items are harmful. He should

eliminate all known errors and try to clean up from the crud that has accumulated

over the past 40 years.

(Alas, this is preaching to the choir. We, collectively, want the guide to be

accurate. For years, I said "Overstreet is the Bible; all others are Apocrypha."

In recent years, that is no longer an absolute.)