• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can we really trust CGC? Why are grades on my books so low?
2 2

254 posts in this topic

No, they're consultants. What hope have they got of grading comic books??

CGC-Logo2_forweb-large.jpg

Oooops sorry, they're really dogs! No wonder your Watchmen grades were a bit woof.

cgc.jpg

At least my five year old knows how to use a computer and spell...... Next up is learning how to fix them when they fail.... You can post away. I don't like flames much.... This guy and his "I made every woman in my life read the book and give me there opinion" Well... I think he needs to find other things to do. It is a comic book. Not a manual on how someone should live there lives!! Someone pre screened the books for him. A few came back lower than what they pre screened as.. Oh Well. Life in the big city can be a ^&*(@ some times....

Welcome to the board. I think your logic is flawed. Your expert grader is not as expert as you think. Missing 4 out of 7 is not a logical defense for your expert grader, it is proof that he consistantly overgrades. Many of the guys on the board learned hard lessons about CGC grading and went through what you are going through.

Call for the graders notes, find out why they graded lower than expected. Compare the books to the graders notes and use this as an opportunity to learn CGCs grading standards.

Sorry to hear how upset you are, it's a tough thing to go through, but use this expensive setback to learn so it doesn't happen again.

Make no mistake though, the guys on this board all love comics and I've never come across a smarter, more passionate group of comic fans.

This thread seems an echo of the CGC inconsistent lately? thread from a couple of months ago.

Except for all the warm welcoming and voices from seasoned highly respected hobby professionals, it's a similar rant.

Whoa...hold it right there, pal. I happen to be the guy who started that "rant" as you call it. As I recall, many of the respected board members agreed that the grading seemed a bit strict at that particular time.

Just do me a favor and don't put me in a boat with the screwball that started this thread...okay, Friend-O? Thanks much.

i like where he says he wants his kids to enjoy comics like he did......they can only enjoy 9.8 books? i remember what i enjoyed about comics..oh wait, STILL DO, is reading them, not just looking at them through a plastic case.

Whenever humans are involved you cant really trust 100% of the results, its just human nature. There's always going to be some sort of unfairness/disappointment/favoritism/cheating. Everyone has their personal biases.

Just because you love your books, doesn't mean they should get 9.8

I'll throw down my two cents for what it's worth...both as a collector and as a guy who's been in the print industry for 16+ years and I know/understand certain things to look for.

In the case of WATCHMEN...simple little defects that you probably never thought to look for.

BACK COVER SCRATCHES.

Those back covers are a BIIIIIIIIIIITCH to find unscathed. Straight up.

They are very prudent to scratches, those black back covers just mark up way too easy.

Corner tears, both top and bottom on the spine.

Issue #1 is KING for that.

Blunted corners.

It happens.

Inside pages might have minute tears that you didn't see?

And if your girlfriends read your books, thumb and finger dents are going to turn out.

If you submitted a set of Watchmen that NOBODY ever read, been bagged and boarded from the day they were purchased, you could have a "shot" at 9.8

Certainly a better shot then copies you read over the years since you were 10.

Also, spine tics on that may or may not show up.

I've learned a LOT over the years in regards to what to look for, and non-color breaking spine tics are key in grading.

The whole purpose of CGC is to ELIMINATE the whole "wild west" from the grading world, as you put it.

I've heard over the years that a grade may or may not depend on who's in a good or bad mood over at CGC.

I think that's utter bullshiiit, and I'll tell you why.

These guys have a reputation and a standard to uphold. They work hard, and yeah...probably get REAL tired of having to look at Amaz. spider-man 300 and Watchmen all day long, the single most submitted books in comics right behind Spawn 1.

But it's their job to get it right, and over time, you'll probably learn what to look for prior to sending in your books. If you dont' want to second guess yourself, do a pre-screen.

It's an extra $3 but it assures you don't pay for 9.4 books getting slabbed.

Also, without knowing how you sent your books, I have to touch upon another person's remark earlier in the thread.

Since this seems to be one of the first times that you sent books to CGC, how did you pack it? Did you use lots of bubble wrap and double box your books?

I learned the hard way there too.

ALWAYS send your books bomb proof so that there is NO chance for the post office to damage or crush your box.

Use an oversized box to put the books in, secure them with heavy cardboard, then wrap that bundle of books LOTS with LOTS of bubble wrap.

Now take THAT box and put it in a BIGGER box so that you're playing safe with the postal system.

I had a bunch of books that I subb'd early in my game years ago, damaged and thus my books were corner crunched.

Again, just because you have a buddy that considers himself a "professional grader" does not make him one.

That's what CGC is there for. They eliminate the guess work.

There is no new HARSHER REGIME over there.

There is no conspiracy theory.

You just need to really scour your books for any (and I mean ANY) minor defects both front, back and interior before sending them out, pack them well and if in doubt do the pre-screen.

The Watchmen books, again, are just TOUGH to grade out in general.

Sharp corners and clean back covers are NOT a friend to that series.

In closing, I want to say this...

When I need a plumber, I call the guy who plumbs for a living.

I don't try to do it or ask my father in law who's fixed his bathroom sink.

When I need an electrician, I call THE ELECTRICIAN, I don't subcontract my neighbor because he knows how to cut the white and red wires, and installed a lamp in his front yard.

If I need my car fixed, I go to my local mechanic, I don't try to cut corners by asking the guy across the street who changed the oil for me one day.

And when I need my books graded by a professional, I CERTAINLY don't ask the local comic shop owner what he thinks of my "high grade moderns."

I send them to the guys in Florida who actually know what they're doing.

Or I ask Nik ;) :thumbsup:

Edited by Rich_Henn

well said!!

kinda weird though, i like this pizza joint which is run by a bunch of Koreans. :jokealert: but not really i do like their pizza!

I'll throw down my two cents for what it's worth...both as a collector and as a guy who's been in the print industry for 16+ years and I know/understand certain things to look for.

In the case of WATCHMEN...simple little defects that you probably never thought to look for.

BACK COVER SCRATCHES.

They are very prudent to scratches, those black back covers just mark up way too easy.

Blunted corners.

It happens.

And if your girlfriends read your books, thumb and finger dents are going to turn out.

If you submitted a set of Watchmen that NOBODY ever read, been bagged and boarded from the day they were purchased, you could have a "shot" at 9.8

I've learned a LOT over the years in regards to what to look for, and non-color breaking spine tics are key in grading.

The whole purpose of CGC is to ELIMINATE the whole "wild west" from the grading world, as you put it.

I've heard over the years that a grade may or may not depend on who's in a good or bad mood over at CGC.

These guys have a reputation and a standard to uphold. They work hard, and yeah...probably get REAL tired of having to look at Amaz. spider-man 300 and Watchmen all day long, the single most submitted books in comics right behind Spawn 1.

But it's their job to get it right, and over time, you'll probably learn what to look for prior to sending in your books. If you dont' want to second guess yourself, do a pre-screen.

Also, without knowing how you sent your books, I have to touch upon another person's remark earlier in the thread.

Since this seems to be one of the first times that you sent books to CGC, how did you pack it? Did you use lots of bubble wrap and double box your books?

ALWAYS send your books bomb proof so that there is NO chance for the post office to damage or crush your box.

Use an oversized box to put the books in, secure them with heavy cardboard, then wrap that bundle of books LOTS with LOTS of bubble wrap.

Now take THAT box and put it in a BIGGER box so that you're playing safe with the postal system.

I had a bunch of books that I subb'd early in my game years ago, damaged and thus my books were corner crunched.

Again, just because you have a buddy that considers himself a "professional grader" does not make him one.

You just need to really scour your books for any (and I mean ANY) minor defects both front, back and interior before sending them out, pack them well and if in doubt do the pre-screen.

When I need an electrician, I call THE ELECTRICIAN, I don't subcontract my neighbor because he knows how to cut the white and red wires, and installed a lamp in his front yard.

If I need my car fixed, I go to my local mechanic, I don't try to cut corners by asking the guy across the street who changed the oil for me one day.

And when I need my books graded by a professional, I CERTAINLY don't ask the local comic shop owner what he thinks of my "high grade moderns."

Edited by peasofcrap

Seven of my Watchmen books were graded by a well respected grader:

If we continue to let comic book grading be the Wild Wild West, we are going to end up with a joke of an industry on the brink of failure like in the 90's. An expert in grading should be right most of the time. We have to stop this send it in blind grading that has has been proven over and over to be faulty. I am so upset with this because, I believe these grades are unfair blah blah blah whinge whine moan...

Sour%20Grapes.jpg

Yep, what Rich said!

well said!!

kinda weird though, i like this pizza joint which is run by a bunch of Koreans. :jokealert: but not really i do like their pizza!

BACK COVER SCRATCHES.

Blunted corners.

It happens.

the reason why there are "only" 151 CGC 9.8s of the super common watchmen #1 is that at the 9.8 level at least, cgc is just not giving those grades away. putting aside miswraps and so on, the book has to be virtually absolutely pristine, maybe the slightest wear on the spine corners...inevitable in the course of shipment and so on. one faint scratch, indent or anything and it's all over.

BACK COVER SCRATCHES.

Blunted corners.

It happens.

You forgot to mention fingerprints :gossip:

Yep, what Rich said!

well said!!

BACK COVER SCRATCHES.

Blunted corners.

It happens.

I'm glad after 10 pages of threads, there is a response I can come to that, in my opinion, sums things up nicely

Or you can skip most of the above mentioned post and ask Nik :baiting: ... Seriously though. I truly believe Nik knows what The CGC is looking for in grading a book.

Nik understands what will get hammered and what will not. He saves a lot of money by doing this as well. If he want's a book to grade @ X.X He finds a book he thinks will fit that grade. This saves a lot of money in grading fee's, and saves a lot of time as well. The better a person understands the grading criteria. The better off there going to be.

Surprises do and will happen to though. That book you thought was a 9.4 comes back a 9.6, and vice-versa. Study slabbed book's. Try to figure out why a certain book got the grade it did.

The sooner you can figure this out. The better off you will be.

I'm not reading all 10 pages of this. Did he ever tell us who the expert grader was?

And dude, let me tell you. I had an Archie #3 that was originally graded at a 5.0 by CGC, cracked out, and re-submitted when I got ahold of it back in September. The book came back at a 1.8. Sure, it was a shock and I felt like I just had my teeth knocked out, but I trust CGC's grading system.

Question for the OP: I love my Batbooks and want to pass them down to my kids but they only like NM/M. Such good taste for a 3-year-old and a 4-month-old I know, but I'm scared they'll come back lower than a 9.8. Can your guy grade them instead please? It should keep the kids happy. (thumbs u