• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can we really trust CGC? Why are grades on my books so low?
2 2

254 posts in this topic

My two cents:

I'm new here, I read this whole thread, it was illuminating. The first guy, I'm thinking that's what OP refers to, had a concern to which the first couple pages or so of replies were addressed rather reasonably by several other people. The OP wouldn't or couldn't accept any of the explanations and continued to hold onto his opinion but expressing it in ever stronger and more over the top tones until he was in a full blown rant. He may have felt ganged up on and just gotten defensive about it and lost some control. After a few more pages of replies of mostly people making fun of him he did more or less apologize but the other people seemed to not see that and just kept piling on. That's when I started feeling a little sympathy for him.

The reason I started reading this thread in the first place is because I just got back the first two books I ever submitted to CGC and was disappointed with the grades assigned to them. I thought because I had bought the books myself off the newsstands and comic book racks of local stores and stored them away without ever opening them much less actually reading them that they would come back with NM grades, not the shockingly low in my opionion 7.0 and 9.0 grades given. After reading this thread though, I understand more about why they didn't get the higher grades I had hoped for and accepting the lower grades they got is a bit easier now. I still hope that the other 8 books I submitted will grade high but if they don't I will just accept it for what it is since it has been made chrystally clear that CGC knows what it is doing and is the accepted standard in this hobby.

Thank you to everyone who posted in this thread.

Post some pics of the books.

Agreed on the loon facter 100%

I prescreened 14 books to be at either 9.8 or 9.6 out of 150 ASM books that I kept all in supreme condition. I would cherry pick from the stores pile of books the absolute best copy ...... then show the retail clerk the price, not allowing them to touch the book.

After seeing them crunch corners with their oafish hands time and time again I started at first switching the clerk scrunched copy 4 the best copy left on the shelf then after awhile just refused 2 let them touch my spideys at all.

Long story short that was my first and only raw book submission.

9 came back in CGC 9.8

5 came back in CGC 9.6

All with white pages.

If the book lays flat, has sharp corners and edges, no color breaking creases or tears & very nice centering it could quite possibly return a cgc 9.8. Basically if it looks like a 10.0 to you, it may return a 9.8 or 9.6.

I guess it takes alot of time being around raw books and trying 2 keep them in pristine shape.

Rich

lol...no thank you mschmidt...I don't think I want to read anything else that guy wrote...I'll take your (and the several other people in the thread) word that he is quite argumentative and having been married twice now, I have had my belly full of arguments. I still feel like I'm "coming down" from the ones I've already read.

lol...no thank you mschmidt...I don't think I want to read anything else that guy wrote...I'll take your (and the several other people in the thread) word that he is quite argumentative and having been married twice now, I have had my belly full of arguments. I still feel like I'm "coming down" from the ones I've already read.

It would be nice to see scans of your books. Likely we can spot the reason they graded as they did.

Post some pics of the books.

I'm not quite up on my technology, I actually have no idea whatsoever of how to get pics of my books on here, without spending a bunch of money I really don't have on a new camera or a scanner or some such. When I can do it I will.

My sense is that CGC takes a much longer look at a book than the average collector or dealer. This can only HELP me become a better grader as I will become more critical in my own views of a book before I send it in. I have been collecting for over 40 years and it is actually nice to find out that I can still learn a few things :)

I've seen it go both ways with CGC.

A book you think should be a lower grade gets a slight bump in grade after submission....

A book you feel is a 9.4 or 9.6 comes back as a 9.0.

I know a few RAW comic fans that feel CGC is too lenient on their grading standards. I don't feel that way. I feel they are pretty consistent and while in some cases I don't agree with the grade...it's better than how LCS's are all over the map with their grading.

I've found that most LCS are very generous with their grading. A VG somehow turns into a F or F+

I'd trust CGC standards over many other graders out there. Only one guy I know is very conservative that I trust.

I received a CGC'd 9.0 Ultimate Daredevil & Elektra the other day off ebay, paid very little for it. However when I looked at it closely, there was what looked like cat hairs sticking out from under the sticker on the top of the slab. On the right of the slab, where the indent is, one side seems to be uneven. The comic itself has spine stress, a weared corner and the back cover has some serious stress. I thought that maybe the seller may have opened it and sealed it back but after asking about this on another forum, I was told to check the corner posts & that it would be hard to not notice if it was opened. The posts seem fine, inner well doesn't seem to have been tampered with but the top seal looks like it goes into where the CGC description label is.

It just seems sloppy in comparison to the other CGC's I have received, maybe this was a one off.

Okay here are the pics, maybe I'm being too picky?

Also let me add the part about the top seal going into the description label was my error as they are all like that...

First, hair under top sticker:

P1020869.jpg

Second, the side part looks a bit tampered with?

P1020867.jpg

Third, top corner of book:

P1020859.jpg

Fourth, spine stress on the front cover in two places:

P1020862.jpg

P1020864.jpg

Fifth, the bottom back cover corner area:

P1020858.jpg

Edited by BURNTHEPRIEST

That's no 9.0

Based on what? The defects I see in the pictures are totally in line with a 9.0 modern :shrug:

I would have called a Modern with creases like that an 8.0 probably to be honest.

That's no 9.0

Based on what? The defects I see in the pictures are totally in line with a 9.0 modern :shrug:

I would have called a Modern with creases like that an 8.0 probably to be honest.

Before or after the buttsmug was introduced ?

In the few years since this thread started, has anyone who

posted told the OP,

You paid your money.

You didn't like the result.

Your grading sucks.

Tough S hi t for you, move on.

Now serving # 83 ! Now serving # 83 !